bllwnkl

What in the World Has Happened to Me?

bllwnkl

The senior care facility where my in laws are had a Christmas dinner and a visit from Santa about a week before Christmas 2018. I was blown away with the Santa! It was amazing watching him work with the residents and families, and the staff. I wondered then what this guy's story was? I'd love to get a chance to talk to him and hear his story. What is it like to be Santa?

Fast forward four months. My wife and I were at a restaurant and in walked a couple, the guy had a great white beard. As we were getting ready to leave, I asked my wife where "Santa" got to? She said he's right behind you. I leaned over and complimented him on his beard and asked if he happened to wear the red suit? Turns out that he did and we had quite a conversation before leaving the restaurant. He had given me his business card that had an email address on it. I emailed him and thanked him for talking to us. He answered back with some suggestions in case I wanted to look into the world of Santa. One of the websites that was in the email was ClausNet. I joined ClausNet and before too long a member saw that I was from Ohio as was he and he invited me to a meeting of The Buckeye Santas which was two hours from me. I went and low and behold, who was there, none other than the Santa that was at the senior facility back in December of 2018! I met him, and one thing led to another and he has been a mentor to me as I was seriously thinking about pursuing this adventure. Well, Tim Connaghan was going to be in Columbus with his Schools4Santas in June of 2019. But my mentor found out that a mall near me was in need of a Santa. Should I or shouldn't I?

I made a phone call and ended going through the online hiring process. I was hired in June! What? How did this just happen? Now, I was keeping this quiet. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, so I wasn't making this public. I went to the School4Santas in Columbus. While there their local newspaper did an article. I thought at the time, how neat. No one knows me down here so no big deal, right? Well the article went to the Associated Press and was featured in over 144 newspapers, including the front page of our local paper with a picture of me on the front page! So much for keeping it quiet!

So I've done a ton of research, and especially watched and listened to many, many topics on ClausNet, and had many of my questions answered. Thank you all by the way! I've visited the mall where I'll be appearing, met the set manager and district manager. I also saw my break room and tried on my two suits.

I've heard it said that it's not so much that I chose to be Santa, Santa chooses me. A lot has happened to me in a relatively short period of time. I went from observing a Santa to portraying Santa in less than a year! As I write this, tomorrow is November 1st. My first day ever in the chair is November 22nd. Wish me luck, and if you have any advice I more than welcome it! Thanks!

Santa Randall Reed  (bllwnkl)

• Like 7

Felix Estridge

As for advice, keep the desire to improve.  And "Just be Santa."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Santa Bill III

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Advice - Be the role and have fun with it, ENJOY.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Drosselmeyer

thanks for sharing Buddy !!  

I have every confidence you are going to ROCK !!!

Enjoy the adventure - it keeps getting better !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Santa Johnny Boy

Santa Randall - what a great story!  The calling is amazing and I believe we were all "called".

My best advice:

Keep a journal.  Every night, after your shift, write down the details of your day,  What worked, what didn't work.  Was there a question you could have answered better?  What would make the visits better?  How was the flow in busy times and how could that get better?  Did you do any public speaking?  Any interviews for local news or media?  Was there a particular child's story that touched your heart?  How was your reaction?  How would you react differently?  Is there a piece of equipment or Santa gear that would make your job better?  Write down the names of your helpers, elves, photographers and mall management team.  Write down the name of a kid that really made a good impression on you - you might see them again next year!

When the season is over, and you've had a time to relax a bit, look over your journal.  It's a letter to your future self and will help keep the many (and there will be many) memories of the experiences of your time in the Big Chair alive.  Before next season starts, review your journal to see ways that you could improve, what classes you need to take, and how to be better prepared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Black River Santa

Have fun. Always draw upon the love in your heart that made you want to portray Santa. And thank God for the opportunity.

I know you are going to be a wonderful Santa - you have the true spirit!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tommy

Just be the best Santa you can be and have fun!!!  You will do great!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.