CDC recommends men shave their beards to protect against coronavirus

Michael Rielly

• Management

CDC recommends men shave their beards to protect against coronavirus

CNN Wire
Feb 26, 2020

hypatia-h_548cb449d847a02e48e4e3e53bf14e

EXCERPT:

(CNN) — When it comes to novel coronavirus safety, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests facial hair be kept to a minimum so it fits within a facepiece respirator.

Side whiskers, soul patches, lampshades and handlebar mustaches are good to go, according to a CDC infographic. But styles like a stubble, beard, Dali and mutton chops, are not recommended because they are likely to interfere with a facepiece respirator.

Masks and respirators are being utilized around the world to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, which has reached more than 80,000 cases globally. A respirator covers at least the nose and mouth and protects against particles including infectious agents, the CDC said. However, the CDC does not recommend routine use outside of workplaces.

Facial hair poses a risk to the effectiveness of respirators because it may keep the exhalation valve from working properly if the two come into contact, the infographic said.

No matter the style choice, the hair should not cross the respirator sealing surface, the infographic said.

A goatee, horseshoe and villain mustache are okay, with caution, the infographic noted.

SOURCE: https://fox40.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-recommends-men-shave-their-beards-to-protect-against-coronavirus

#

Sounds like fake news being spread by the media.

• Haha 1

No Way Do Not Want GIF

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I can't ride apparatus at the fire dept because of my beard - same reason - won't get a good seal if I wore a respirator - even though I don't do any jobs that require a respirator . . . 

• Like 2

Nothing like trying to spread panic everywhere. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Not going to happen.

• Like 4

Hardly...do you shave your beard to protect yourself from the flu or common cold? Thought not. So why would you do it for this? More people die in this country every year from the regular flu, then have died from this new bug...quit listening to screwed up politicized news companies and use some common sense.

• Like 8

Has the CDC nothing better to do?  Come up with a vaccine and start distributing it already, is that not your job? What about Hassidic  and Orthodox Jewish men who are required to have a beard for religious reasons?  Or Amish men?

• Like 3

CDC is not recommending masks (yet). I have worn an Apnea mask for over 20 years, and never had a problem. Although it is not the same as a respirator (it is nose only), the seal does press on my facial hair while at considerable pressure without issue. 

• Like 1

Hello Santas-

First was Swine Flu, then Evain (bird) Flu.

Now this! Sorry if One takes Precautions as would the Flu (which has killed Thousands)-I think We could be better off! 

Why did it take this long to finally Report it?

• Like 3

Conspiracy theory says it's a Chinese Bio-Weapon from Wuhan, where they develop such atrocities. May have been predicted in the 80's - Google "Wuhan 400".

• Like 2

• Management

I have one thing to say...
15978492_10210024360099443_1177368379_n.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/26/2020 at 8:06 PM, Black Hills Santa said:

Nothing like trying to spread panic everywhere. 🙄

Seems to me to be the goal of most of the news media!!

• Like 4

On 2/26/2020 at 9:32 PM, Eileen Strom said:

common sense

Something that is in very short supply!   But hey, we have 43 million face masks which BTW, are ineffective against COVID-19!

• Like 2

I sure hope this virus is gone and past by the time next Christmas comes around, or we're all in a heap of mess!

• Like 1

To be totally fair, the virus itself is basically a bad cold.  It does tend to have more negative connotations for folks getting up in age with various other health issues to include heart problems, breathing problems etc.  The biggest 'problem' so to speak with the corona virus is that folks can walk around asymptomatic (or not feeling/acting sick) for up to 21 days all while being contagious.  When you get the FLU you feel terrible, you stay home and you're not infecting others.  The Flu has a relatively short contagious window without symptoms.  

From Oct 2019 to February 2020 at LEAST 14,000 people died of influenza in the USA according to the CDC.   5 months, 14k+ dead.  One of these isn't like the other. Most of the 'panic' surrounding the corona virus is misplaced at best. 

Edited by YoungSC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Management
On 3/3/2020 at 2:29 PM, YoungSC said:

As I said. This appears to be hyped (i.e.; fake news) news being spread by the media.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Remember, the common cold is one strain of Corona virus. And Lysol will kill the virus.  So , keep your hands washed and hope that by fall this virus has dissipated.

Edited by Grandpa Gus
Additional comments, pushed the wrong button before I was done.
  • Like 2

Heard today that we have three confirmed cases in Ohio now.

25 minutes ago, bllwnkl said:

Heard today that we have three confirmed cases in Ohio now.

We have at least two confirmed here in NJ. 

2 hours ago, Black River Santa said:

We have at least two confirmed here in NJ. 

6 cases here in South Carolina ... I stopped shaving in 1968, so not shaving ...

I'm very concerned about the current pandemic considering my age, as probably some of you here are as well, in the high risk pool, so being in as healthy a condition as I can has become my goal and I pray that everyone here at Claus Net fairs well and we all get through this healthy. This is going to get worse before it gets better and the world is going to need souls like us Jolly Ole Elves in Red Suites this Christmas more than ever ... 

make it rain christmas GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

6 cases here in South Carolina ... I stopped shaving in 1968, so not shaving ...

I'm very concerned about the current pandemic considering my age, as probably some of you here are as well, in the high risk pool, so being in as healthy a condition as I can has become my goal and I pray that everyone here at Claus Net fairs well and we all get through this healthy. This is going to get worse before it gets better and the world is going to need souls like us Jolly Ole Elves in Red Suites this Christmas more than ever ... 

make it rain christmas GIF

Well said, thank you, Santa Timothy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Nope, can't do it......and I've had three children come up to me and tell me not to shave because I remind them of Santa Claus, and that's a good thing.

• Like 2

I work in the Health Care field and have been asked about my feelings towards it. I tell them they would have to hold me down ....and they're not big enough. 

All I hear is Blah, Blah, Blah.........

• Like 3

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds

Post your pictures and comments here daily!

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 5 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
        • Love
      • 26 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Love
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply