Michael Rielly

CDC recommends men shave their beards to protect against coronavirus

Michael Rielly

CDC recommends men shave their beards to protect against coronavirus

CNN Wire
Feb 26, 2020

hypatia-h_548cb449d847a02e48e4e3e53bf14e

EXCERPT:

(CNN) — When it comes to novel coronavirus safety, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests facial hair be kept to a minimum so it fits within a facepiece respirator.

Side whiskers, soul patches, lampshades and handlebar mustaches are good to go, according to a CDC infographic. But styles like a stubble, beard, Dali and mutton chops, are not recommended because they are likely to interfere with a facepiece respirator.

Masks and respirators are being utilized around the world to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, which has reached more than 80,000 cases globally. A respirator covers at least the nose and mouth and protects against particles including infectious agents, the CDC said. However, the CDC does not recommend routine use outside of workplaces.

Facial hair poses a risk to the effectiveness of respirators because it may keep the exhalation valve from working properly if the two come into contact, the infographic said.

No matter the style choice, the hair should not cross the respirator sealing surface, the infographic said.

A goatee, horseshoe and villain mustache are okay, with caution, the infographic noted.

SOURCE: https://fox40.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-recommends-men-shave-their-beards-to-protect-against-coronavirus

#

Sounds like fake news being spread by the media.

• Haha 1

bllwnkl

No Way Do Not Want GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Drosselmeyer

I can't ride apparatus at the fire dept because of my beard - same reason - won't get a good seal if I wore a respirator - even though I don't do any jobs that require a respirator . . . 

• Like 2

Black Hills Santa

Nothing like trying to spread panic everywhere. 🙄

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Black River Santa

Not going to happen.

• Like 3

Eileen Strom

Hardly...do you shave your beard to protect yourself from the flu or common cold? Thought not. So why would you do it for this? More people die in this country every year from the regular flu, then have died from this new bug...quit listening to screwed up politicized news companies and use some common sense.

• Like 7

Santa Johnny Boy

Has the CDC nothing better to do?  Come up with a vaccine and start distributing it already, is that not your job? What about Hassidic  and Orthodox Jewish men who are required to have a beard for religious reasons?  Or Amish men?

• Like 2

Santa Ross W

CDC is not recommending masks (yet). I have worn an Apnea mask for over 20 years, and never had a problem. Although it is not the same as a respirator (it is nose only), the seal does press on my facial hair while at considerable pressure without issue. 

• Like 1

Santa Mike 19536

Hello Santas-

First was Swine Flu, then Evain (bird) Flu.

Now this! Sorry if One takes Precautions as would the Flu (which has killed Thousands)-I think We could be better off! 

Why did it take this long to finally Report it?

• Like 3

Santa Ross W

Conspiracy theory says it's a Chinese Bio-Weapon from Wuhan, where they develop such atrocities. May have been predicted in the 80's - Google "Wuhan 400".

• Like 2

Felix Estridge

I have one thing to say...
15978492_10210024360099443_1177368379_n.jpg

• Like 3

Steve Fletcher
On 2/26/2020 at 8:06 PM, Black Hills Santa said:

Nothing like trying to spread panic everywhere. 🙄

Seems to me to be the goal of most of the news media!!

• Like 3

Steve Fletcher
On 2/26/2020 at 9:32 PM, Eileen Strom said:

common sense

Something that is in very short supply!   But hey, we have 43 million face masks which BTW, are ineffective against COVID-19!

• Like 2

Santa Johnny Boy

I sure hope this virus is gone and past by the time next Christmas comes around, or we're all in a heap of mess!

• Like 1

YoungSC
Posted (edited)

To be totally fair, the virus itself is basically a bad cold.  It does tend to have more negative connotations for folks getting up in age with various other health issues to include heart problems, breathing problems etc.  The biggest 'problem' so to speak with the corona virus is that folks can walk around asymptomatic (or not feeling/acting sick) for up to 21 days all while being contagious.  When you get the FLU you feel terrible, you stay home and you're not infecting others.  The Flu has a relatively short contagious window without symptoms.  

From Oct 2019 to February 2020 at LEAST 14,000 people died of influenza in the USA according to the CDC.   5 months, 14k+ dead.  One of these isn't like the other. Most of the 'panic' surrounding the corona virus is misplaced at best. 

Edited by YoungSC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Michael Rielly
On 3/3/2020 at 2:29 PM, YoungSC said:

As I said. This appears to be hyped (i.e.; fake news) news being spread by the media.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Grandpa Gus
Posted (edited)

Remember, the common cold is one strain of Corona virus. And Lysol will kill the virus.  So , keep your hands washed and hope that by fall this virus has dissipated.

Edited by Grandpa Gus
Additional comments, pushed the wrong button before I was done.
  • Like 1

bllwnkl

Heard today that we have three confirmed cases in Ohio now.

Black River Santa
25 minutes ago, bllwnkl said:

Heard today that we have three confirmed cases in Ohio now.

We have at least two confirmed here in NJ. 

Santa Timothy SC
2 hours ago, Black River Santa said:

We have at least two confirmed here in NJ. 

6 cases here in South Carolina ... I stopped shaving in 1968, so not shaving ...

I'm very concerned about the current pandemic considering my age, as probably some of you here are as well, in the high risk pool, so being in as healthy a condition as I can has become my goal and I pray that everyone here at Claus Net fairs well and we all get through this healthy. This is going to get worse before it gets better and the world is going to need souls like us Jolly Ole Elves in Red Suites this Christmas more than ever ... 

make it rain christmas GIF

• Like 2

Black River Santa
8 hours ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

6 cases here in South Carolina ... I stopped shaving in 1968, so not shaving ...

I'm very concerned about the current pandemic considering my age, as probably some of you here are as well, in the high risk pool, so being in as healthy a condition as I can has become my goal and I pray that everyone here at Claus Net fairs well and we all get through this healthy. This is going to get worse before it gets better and the world is going to need souls like us Jolly Ole Elves in Red Suites this Christmas more than ever ... 

make it rain christmas GIF

Well said, thank you, Santa Timothy.

• Like 1

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.