SCSanta

People Are Putting Their Christmas Lights Back Up as a Sign of Hope Amid Coronavirus Fears

SCSanta

People Are Putting Their Christmas Lights Back Up as a Sign of Hope Amid Coronavirus Fears

NATHALIE KIRBY (House Beautiful)
MAR 17, 2020

gettyimages-528689884-1584461843.jpg?res

EXCERPT:

In the midst of a global pandemic, people are looking on the bright side of life–literally. As COVID-19 continues to spread and the need for social distancing increases, Twitter users are calling for people to put their Christmas lights back up. With school and work closing, restaurants shutting down, and events being cancelled, many people are feeling the scary effects of the Coronavirus. And for parents with kids home from school for an indefinite period, the need for a light at the end of the tunnel is especially significant, which is why a call to get the Christmas lights back out is taking the internet by storm. I mean, if you're going to be stuck in your home, you might as well make it look pretty, right?

(More)

Source: https://www.housebeautiful.com/lifestyle/fun-at-home/a31699230/christmas-lights-for-coronavirus/

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Santa Johnny Boy

:sc_blush: I hadn't taken mine down yet...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Drosselmeyer

this is fantastic !  

I think it really speaks to the power of Christmas -  the idea that Christmas light can give hope and peace and happiness

thank you for sharing !

• Like 5

Black River Santa
Posted (edited)

Still have a tree up, though it is currently decorated for St. Pat's. Stay well friends, they're going to need Santa this year!

Edited by Black River Santa
spelling error
  • Like 4

rdpugh

I just change the decorations on my tree through the year.  Right now lots of green.  Soon to be changed to Easter eggs and such.

• Like 4

Drosselmeyer

Brewery lights and Christmas music | St. Louis spreads holiday cheer to brighten spirits amid COVID-19 concerns

KEZK and Anheuser-Busch are jumping on the 'Christmas in March' bandwagon, or sleigh, in hopes of spreading some cheer

Author: Craig Proffer (KSDK)
Published: 5:44 PM CDT March 20, 2020
Updated: 5:44 PM CDT March 20, 2020

60238294-46fc-43a5-abfb-8dbb714f8dff_750

ST. LOUIS — It looks like it'll be Christmas in March because St. Louis is getting into the holiday spirit — again — all to brighten up residents during a time of growing concern over COVID-19.

St. Louis radio station KEZK is kicking off it's "Christmas in March" celebration by playing the classic Christmas music that brings everyone together, while still practicing social distancing, of course. 

Source:   https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/st-louis-spreading-christmas-holiday-cheer-coronavirus-concerns/63-f86ce298-0cd5-4708-980e-f0611ffd9c59

• Like 4

Drosselmeyer

My son and I put ours up over the weekend... 

20200325_192216.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Santa Johnny Boy

I'm with you, Doug!  My neighbors dared me to put up my Christmas lights.  HA!  My lights will be on all night, every night until these crazy corona virus days have past.  God bless America!

1568125938_outlightscopy.thumb.jpg.aadb907faafd382b6da057a59ec1860f.jpg

Anyone with us? Santas?

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Tim Mack

It can have a very positive affect in your neighborhood, some make think you've lost it and others will smile that one that just beams with happiness

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Tim Mack

We have inflatables up some lights a Nativity and I add to it everyday. A couple days ago we had this in the mailbox just as you see it.  It was the bright spot in our day.  Has me thinking this really helps.  

C910AB1B-916A-49D7-9A34-074282EBF5C3.jpeg

• Like 2

Grandpa Gus

I put my Christmas lanterns back out, and they will stay out for as long as I feel they provide a sense of hope. I'm also putting together small bags of candy canes for neighbors children. I give them to their parents so they can give them out as they see fit.

• Like 2

Drosselmeyer

anybody else still have lights up ??

• Like 1

Santa Bruce Geron
2 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

I don't necessarily have Christmas lights up but back in March when the world went to sleep, I ordered lights online to decorate our backyard and deck. Seeing the lights in our gazebo, in our shrugs, under the deck-benches, and on the fence post tops makes me feel happier and hopeful. These is light at the end of the tunnel!

I just feel tired from this extended Lenten season. I can't event call it Advent because I don't know when it will end.

Edited by Santa Bruce Geron
  • Like 2

Santa Johnny Boy
4 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

Took mine down when my county went into the Green Phase, meaning less restrictions.  We all thought that it would be over soon.

Little did we know...

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.