Gov. Whitmer: Downtown Midland could be under 9 feet of water by Wednesday

Michael Rielly

Gov. Whitmer: Downtown Midland could be under 9 feet of water by Wednesday

ed2685d3-db81-41fc-91eb-f1176b7b929f-AP2

Angie Jackson and Todd Spangler
Detroit Free Press
May 20, 2020

EXCERPT:

Urging residents to evacuate and saying downtown Midland could be under 9 feet of water by Wednesday afternoon, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer late Tuesday declared a state of emergency for Midland County after the Edenville and Sanford dams breached.

Speaking during a press conference late Tuesday, Whitmer said parts of the city of Midland, the village of Sanford, Edenville Township and Dow Chemical had been or were being evacuated. She said officials were working to evacuate residents in Tittabawassee, Thomas and Saginaw townships on Tuesday evening.

Parts of Midland Township, Lincoln Township and Homer Township had also been evacuated, according to alerts on Midland County's emergency management system, with tens of thousands of people potentially affected by flooding along the Tittabawassee River and a flood warning in effect through Wednesday morning.

Whitmer said at a 10 p.m. briefing Tuesday that state officials expected the worst over the next 12-15 hours with as much as 9 feet of water in downtown Midland, the largest city in the area with about 40,000 residents and the home to Dow Chemical.

"This is unlike anything we’ve seen before... but this is truly a historic event that's playing out in the midst of another historic event," Whitmer said, referring to the coronavirus pandemic which has led to stay-at-home orders throughout the state and the deaths of more than 5,000 people.

SOURCE: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/05/19/edenville-dam-sanford-dam-flooding-michigan/5226321002/

• Sad 6

Michael Rielly

This is RIGHT next to the Santa Claus House!

• Wow 2
  • Sad 1

Santa Timothy SC

Prayers for everyone in Midland especially Tom and Holly Valent 

My wife just texted this to me:

“Did you hear about Dams breaking in Midland, Michigan? Santa 🎅 School could be under 9’ of water by this afternoon .
So sad. Tom has been through his wife’s cancer, pandemic and now flooding! My heart and prayers go out to all in Midland.”

🙏

• Sad 3

SantaDBC
Posted (edited)

Adding them to our prayers 

Edited by SantaDBC
  • Like 3

Santa Bruce Geron

I had a call with Tom this afternoon. He and Holly are fine. The Midland Santa House is dry.

Personal comment; please keep them and the citizens of Midland County in your prayers.

• Like 5

Drosselmeyer

Fred posted this just under an hour ago on FB - the water is up to the back of the Santa house property - news reports are saying the water could crest another 4 feet higher by the end of the day . . . 

97473041_10100782557785384_4322578944961

• Wow 3

SCSanta

Prayers for all concerned...

• Like 1

Felix Estridge

Tom's & Holly's son, Joe, and his wife, Kate, flew today from DFW airport to Midland to help them with their displacement.  All the information being posted is that the Santa House will remain unscathed.  Tom's & Holly's home, on the other hand, is probably not.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Santa Johnny Boy

Prayers for the people of Midland and all who are affected.

• Like 3

Drosselmeyer

news from late last night looks like the water stopped at about 35 feet - but have not seen any newer updates - does anyone have any more recent reports ???  Updates on Tom and Holly ??

Forecast indicates that Michigan's Tittabawassee River will no longer crest

From CNN’s Judson Jones  

According to a forecast by the National Weather Service in Detroit, the Tittabawassee River in Michigan is expected to fluctuate around 35 feet for the next several hours before starting to drop around midnight. 

A previous forecast predicted that the river could crest at 38 feet Wednesday.

The river had already surpassed the previous record of 33.89 feet, which was set during a major flood in the city in 1986.

At that height alone, the river will be flooding many homes, the NWS previously said.

Some context: The last NWS observation was 34.83 feet at 4:30 p.m. ET and has been near this level for the past few hours.

At one point, the river hit 35.05 feet around 12:30 p.m., which may have been the crest.

Source:  https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/michigan-dam-flooding/index.html

• Like 1

Drosselmeyer

just saw this on FaceBook - - does anyone have news if Tom and Holly are OK ??

The Santa House remains untouched!

99436492_3322579107754320_28592303467994

Every year Santa returns to the Santa House where he spreads cheer to thousands of Midlanders and visitors from beyond. The Santa House overlooks the river from an adjacent hill. Santa will be happy to know his house has not been touched by the tides that have risen. The elves have written to say he’s excited to return later this year to spread cheer and the Spirit of Christmas to a community in need of joy. Stay strong, Midland.

• Like 4

Drosselmeyer

Fred Honerkamp just shared this update on FB :

The flooding has started to recede. We can’t thank everyone enough for the prayers and good wishes.

The damage to our community is beyond comprehension. Thousands lost everything (without insurance) but lives were spared. It is easy to say the “things” can be replaced but that isn’t true. As one woman explained, “I am retired and my house was fully paid with our life savings..and now it is gone..an my insurance agent said that we have no coverage”.

The Santa House is safe. Tom and Holly had to evacuate their home but they are safe. Holly is up North with Caroline. Tom returned to Midland and is being joined by Joe, who flew up from Texas to help. They anticipate that water breached the garage, basement and, perhaps, first floor. They have not been allowed to return to check the damage. Please continue to keep them in your prayers.

The CWH Santa Community has been wonderful. Teams of Santa’s, who love Midland, have volunteered to come and help. You volunteered to move thing out of the Santa House. You volunteered to help with the cleanup. You have been praying for us and encouraging us. We can’t thank you enough💕

Please don’t come to Midland. Hotels are overflowing with families that lost their homes. Restaurants are not open or have take out only. Our hospital is closed. Bridges and roads are washed out. Sewer, water and electricity are out for two thirds of the city.

For those of you who want to reach out, and have the means to do so, please consider giving to the Midland Area Community Foundation Flood Relief Fund or the Santa House Fund.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Felix Estridge

An update from Joe Valent on his parent's house & surrounding dwellings:

"We had 3ft of flooding in basement. Although lots of damage to barns and valuable items. Reindeer are safe. We have the help needed to clear out the basement floor and barns. We made out very well compared to some neighbors. Thank you for all your consideration. I will keep you posted if we need additional help."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 0 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.