Michael Rielly

Featured Member of the Month - July 2020

Michael Rielly

Each month, our Featured Member section profiles a ClausNet member. Members are chosen totally at random by me and the staff. Once selected as Featured Member of the Month, we interview the candidate and post the interview here. This is a wonderful way to get to know your fellow ClausNet members!

We are happy to announce our ClausNet Featured Member for July 2020 is TexasSanta!

TexasSanta
Featured ClausNet Member – July 2020

TexasSanta

TexasSanta

Profile: TexasSanta
ClausNet member since: December 21, 2011
Community Reputation (as of today): 233 – Outstanding!
Membership Level: Member
Facebook: @KringleAndCompanyRanch

July

July 2020’s Featured Member of the Month has been stepping in for the big guy since 2006. TexasSanta aka James joined the ClausNet community in 2011 and has been a contributing member ever since. We caught up with Santa James a few weeks back and here is what he had to say...

ClausNet: How long have you been portraying Santa Claus and how did you get started?
TexasSanta: "I began in 2006. I was one of the only volunteers who would be willing to wear the suit at a Marine Corps unit event. Since my beard was short and closely cropped, I wore the suit rental beard which was horrible. My wife said I could do a better beard, so I began letting mine go. Each and every year I always tried to add additional elements that would improve my ability to represent the Spirit of Santa. It finally hit home when, while I was in a Walmart a few years later and a child came running up and tugged on my pants leg. I knelt down and said "STOP IT YOU CREEP" actually it was not that way, but it always makes my eyes leak when I recount the story. I became a purveyor of the Spirit of Santa at that time. It has been the 3rd best decision of my life."

ClausNet: What or who are your influences on your portrayal of Santa Claus?
TexasSanta: "I look around at times and wonder, why can I not look like some of the guys here on ClausNet. Then I remember what my clients always tell me. We did not hire you to look like Santa. We hired you to be like Santa. I have a blast with my children. We joke and cutup and have FUN. I have my more serious side for the somber visits and the children who are asking the hard questions about family and sickness. I let them be children and play with the cool toys like sleigh horses or anything else my helpers and I brought out to the event. My goal is not to be a role model or a copier of some other Santa. My goal is to ensure that the children and their parents have an authentic experience with someone who genuinely cares about them and is there to be the best Santa the child needs at the time."

ClausNet: What do you enjoy most about being Santa Claus?
TexasSanta: "I most enjoy walking quietly into the location, whether a ballroom, pool room or living room and just picking out the parent who will be the most problem. Walking over to them and telling them that it is there turn to tell Santa what they want. Adults have dreams and desires as well and sometimes Santa needs to remind the adults about how Santa listens to their dreams just as Santa listens to their children. While the recognition is great and the adoration from the children is wonderful the most important feeling I get when I leave an event is whose life did, I make better by spending time with them. 14 years and I have 6 of my original families still scheduling visits with their college age children. Something must have clicked for them."

ClausNet: What do you enjoy the LEAST about being Santa Claus?
TexasSanta: "It has been stated by others that dead time is the worst. Imagine having 3 trucks, 6 helpers, live horses, a sleigh and having to loiter in a major city as you wait 2 hours to head to the next location. Even when I am solo, as I am 80% of the time, the waiting in a parking lot before you head to an HOA is awkward at best. Disturbing to some parents also."

TexasSanta

ClausNet: What is your most memorable visit?
TexasSanta: "My most memorable visit was also my least favorite visit in 14 years. It was held on the Northside of a major city in DFW. The attendees were majority Hispanic. We were all having a great time, and everyone was enjoying the event immensely. One of the fathers comes wandering up and leans in close to tell me in broken English, ‘You know, if my daughter does not get what she wants I will hunt you down and kill you’. Now I understand why the local PD was downstairs and patrolling the parking lot."

ClausNet: Do you have a favorite gig?
TexasSanta: "I love doing home visits. Most of my work is home visits and I try just as hard to build relationships with the adults as I do the children. One family comes to mind. They enjoy me coming into their life and making me a part of their family for the 2 hours I spend with them. The time never creeps by. Usually the mother must come to me and say Santa James, you need to go to your next family. It is an amazing family and the past six years with them has been truly wonderful."

ClausNet: What is your dream gig?
TexasSanta: "My dream event is one where the time parameters are set and I show up and we just GO! From the time I arrive until I depart, we are focused on celebrating Christmas. Dancing, singing, telling stories, cracking jokes (about the parents of course) and just experiencing the Joy and the Love of the Season. It's not just a dream, for many of my log time clients this is their reality."

ClausNet: What keeps you busy when you are not being Santa?
TexasSanta: "I spend the entire time away from the suit building additional sets, tools and technology to make the next Season of visiting out due the last one. I drive the tractor for my wife's garden plot, as well as other farm chores. I am always thinking how to positively impact others."

ClausNet: What are your hobbies / interests?
TexasSanta: "My interests are military families, special needs children and helping out in church activities by being part of that 10% you hear about. My hobbies are technology issues and designing things for use in Santa events that often make people scratch their head. Until they see it!"

ClausNet: What is your favorite color?
TexasSanta: "My favorite current color is Purple. In today’s times, it seems you must be Blue or Red. I refuse to be labeled so I am purple."

ClausNet: What is your favorite food?
TexasSanta: "My favorite food is Brisket. Not ribs. Not Beans but just good old smoked brisket. Not your brisket. My brisket!"

ClausNet: Coke or Pepsi?
TexasSanta: "Dr. Pepper 10. That way it won't mess with my metformin... right?."

ClausNet: What is your favorite cookie?
TexasSanta: "I enjoy soft cookies. Peanut butter, red velvet snickerdoodles."

ClausNet: What is your favorite movie?
TexasSanta: "Anything from the MCU or Star Wars universes."

TexasSanta

ClausNet: Do you have a favorite Christmas movie?
TexasSanta: "I enjoy many of the Christmas movies. Some old ones as well as some of the newer. I honestly cannot think of a movie I would drop anything for to sit through and watch though.’"

ClausNet: What is your favorite Christmas song?
TexasSanta: "The Little Drummer Boy by For King and Country."

ClausNet: What was the last book that you read?
TexasSanta: "Not a big book reader. Bad eyesight makes it quite problematic. The last book I read and studied was the book of Judges from the Old Testament as part of a men's bible study."

ClausNet: What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
TexasSanta: "Make my radio perfect body appear on YouTube and become a Millionaire.... No? It doesn't work like that?... Silver Bells!"

ClausNet: What profession would you not like to attempt?
TexasSanta: "Anything with having to do with convincing someone something in these challenging times."

ClausNet: What were some of your favorite toys as a child?
TexasSanta: "A bicycle and a TRS-80 computer from Radio Shack."

ClausNet: What is your most memorable experience of Santa while growing up?
TexasSanta: "I have no memorable experiences visiting Santa. My family never did that."

ClausNet: What is the hardest question you have gotten as Santa Claus and what was your response?
TexasSanta: "’Santa, why won't you stop my father from getting drunk for me?’ Because, Santa cannot do that for him but Santa will pray that a good friend of his helps your father out."

ClausNet: What is the strangest request you have gotten as Santa Claus?
TexasSanta: "The ever present iPad request. I tell them to look at their parents and they see them on their tablets working and emailing. I ask the children, do they want to be like their parents and work all the time? What TOY do you want? That always gets the toy mid going."

ClausNet: How did you find ClausNet?
TexasSanta: " A friend who used to be here."

ClausNet: And what do you like most about ClausNet?
TexasSanta: "The users will not be shy when you ask for an opinion on something."

ClausNet: Is there a Santa or Mrs. Claus over the years that you admire or has inspired you? Can you tell us a little bit about him/her?
TexasSanta: " I have seen too many that were the polar opposite of what I wanted to be. Not humble and forgetting that they were not Santa. Haughty, proud, conceited and feeling as though they were the PERFECT Santa. They inspired me to be the best Spirit of Santa I can be, with or without pay."

ClausNet: What advice can you give to a first time Santa or Mrs. Claus?
TexasSanta: "Ask for advice. Get opinions. Have the strength of character to know when you are falling short and know that everyone has been down this road before. But most importantly, be willing to fail miserably so that you try be better the next time."

Thank you James! Everyone, please join me in congratulating TexasSanta, our ClausNet Featured Member of the Month for July 2020!

TexasSanta

• Like 4

Felix Estridge

Congratulations and welcome to the MOTM Club!

TamaleClaus

Congratulations,  always enjoy reading about others, and it causes me to reflect on my own journey.

Santa Ed K

Congratulations and welcome to MOTM.

Drosselmeyer

1.jpg

Santa Craig Maxwell

I so enjoyed your interview James. (A good Biblical name). Very inspirational.  Nice choice of pictures to include too...you married over your head just like most of us.  Congratulations on a well deserved honor, and thanks for sharing your story.

Black River Santa

Congratulations! 

Santa Bill Reiller

Congratulations and welcome to the MOTM Club!!!!    Nice interview!

Santa Mike IN

Congratulations!

David Dixon

Congratulations!

Tommy

Congratulations!!!! Excellent!!!

Santa Bill III

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I enjoyed reading about you and your thoughts.

Welcome to the club.  Keep doing what you do best!

SCSanta

:congrats:

Santa Johnny Boy

Congratulations, Santa James, on a well deserved honor!

Black Hills Santa

Congrats

bllwnkl
Posted (edited)

Nice interview. I really enjoy reading these. Welcome to the MOTM Club!

Edited by bllwnkl

jeffh

Congrats on this well deserved honour! I love hearing people’s stories 🙂

Eileen Strom

:congrats:

SantaDBC

Congratulations!!!

Santa Bruce Geron

Congratualtions.jpg.abd43a368e16926947c862f7b2429be1.jpg

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.