Elf Hermey

Dickens Labeled as Racist

Elf Hermey

DICKENS LABELED A RACIST

DefendingChristmas.com     July 6, 2020

newhead2.png

Few men carry the weight of Christmas fame like Charles Dickens. From the publication of his wildly popular story A Christmas Carol the name of Dickens has been sacred in the world of Christmas. But like many popular figures of the past Charles Dickens is now being called out as racist.

Some of Dickens’s work has attracted controversy over claims that it is racist. These facts have long been known and some biographers in the past have tried to highlight it.

Dickens felt strongly that Victorian society ignored the poverty of its underclass. On the one hand were the rich who enjoyed comfort and feasting at Christmas, and on the other were children forced to live in dreadful conditions in workhouses.

These themes would suggest that Dickens was promoting social change.

But Dickens was a complicated political thinker and looking back more than a century and a half later it is impossible to fully understand the nuances of both the time and the person.

Privately, it was another matter. In letters to his friends, he railed against Indians as ‘low, murderous, treacherous, tigerous villains’, called for their extermination and cheered on the consequences of the Indian mutiny, applauding the ‘Hindoo’ being ‘blown from English guns’.

As for the blacks he so publicly supported, he privately questioned the wisdom of their ever being given suffrage, writing as late as 1868 that the ‘melancholy absurdity’ of their being allowed to vote ‘would glare out of every roll of their eyes, chuckle in their mouths, and bump in their heads.’

But like many of the people buried in Westminster Abbey and memorialized in sundry places with statues and monuments Charles Dickens was not perfect. His life, like the lives of many others, is a story of contradiction and imperfection.

Source:     View the full article

• Sad 4

Black Hills Santa

Well, it's gotten out of hand and I am sick of it. Just to be honest. Screaming and accusing others, dead or alive,  of things is ridiculous, hateful, and nonproductive. 

• Like 4

Santa Johnny Boy
26 minutes ago, Black Hills Santa said:

Well, it's gotten out of hand and I am sick of it. Just to be honest. Screaming and accusing others, dead or alive,  of things is ridiculous, hateful, and nonproductive. 

I agree. There is a bunch of bullies out there with time on their hands that want to cause as much trouble as possible.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Santa Andy G.

Who are the bullies?

• Confused 1

Michael Rielly

Wait for it... Santa Claus is r...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Michael Rielly
13 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

I agree. There is a bunch of bullies out there with time on their hands that want to cause as much trouble as possible.

This is what happens when every kid gets a participation trophy...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Santa Bill Reiller

So where do we sign up for our trophy?   All of this is really getting out of hand.  It is sickening to see how society is these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Drosselmeyer

I read an interesting study talking about childcare in the early 90s - how it had shifted to more of a day care group style - and often the kid that screamed loudest got the attention they wanted - well - those kids have now grown up and they are still acting the way they learned in day care - screaming and throwing tantrums to get what they want - the end justifies the means . . . 

Civil discourse is a dying art 😞

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Santa Craig Maxwell

Many Santas have a "Scandinavian" look.  Ruh-Roh!

• Like 1

Black Hills Santa

Spare the rod and this is the mess you get! Spoiled punks that need a foot broke off in their hindquarters.

• Like 3

Michael Rielly
10 minutes ago, Black Hills Santa said:

Spare the rod and this is the mess you get! Spoiled punks that need a foot broke off in their hindquarters.

Amen!

• Like 3

SCSanta

I am so tired of 2-dimensional thinking, self-important squeaky wheels holding people of history to modern days social standards. 

• Like 4

Felix Estridge

I am. quite frankly, tired of people and their feelings being more important than facts.

• Like 4

Santa Tragen
22 hours ago, Black Hills Santa said:

• Like 2

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• Every Once in A While
      Every once in a while I see some flagrant abuses of Santa’s appearance and etiquette. It strikes me some men don’t care about how they act or portray the beloved character of Santa.

Gentlemen, you undertake an awesome responsibility when you button up your Santa Suit. Don’t take it lighty!

The “World” has an image of Santa as represented by illustrations, traditions and personal contact. Believe it or not, you’re being measured by those who see you for your authenticity.

You’re fooling yourself if you believe that no one notices or cares if your bead is yellow or unkempt. Maybe you’re also missing a few of those pearly whites, or they are stained from tobacco products. Again, don’t fool yourself….kids notice everything! I have a gold crown capping one of my lower teeth. Every once in a while, I have an inquisitive youngster question what that gold thing is in my mouth. Years ago I thought it was well hidden however; kids have uncanny radar to pick out any of our flaws….

You may be asking yourself, “What difference does it make? “It’s not the Christmas Season.” Maybe it isn’t however, If you’re representing Santa, you’re representing one of the most recognizable characters in the world. What you do reflects upon me and every Santa reader of this article. If you’re going to be recognized then do justice to the character we are reenacting.

Over the years I have been a Santa, I have frequently been by told by people about the Santa they hired or saw which left a very poor expression. Most of their comments were predictable. Their Santa did not interact with the children as expected or he was unprepared. He was unanimated, had a dirty suit or lack luster beard. Obviously these are sure fire ways never to be called to this group again.

Think about what impression you make as a Santa and pay attention to developing your character. You can become one of the best Santas in your area by learning everything about your character and performing from the heart.

Always remember: It's not about you. It's about the children.

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 26 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.