Say goodbye to the overcommercialized Christmas

Black Hills Santa

Say goodbye to the overcommercialized Christmas: Pandemic-weary shoppers want a meaningful holiday

CNBC
Melissa Rapko
OCT 1, 2020

106721897-1601401546611-gettyimages-4994

EXCERPT

Most consumers said they plan to minimize in-store shopping to reduce health risks to essential workers and would like retailers to stay shut on Thanksgiving Day, according to a survey of more than 1,500 U.S. consumers by Accenture.

On average, consumers told Accenture that they plan to spend about $540 on holiday shopping this year — a nearly $100 drop from last year.

“We’ve all been in lockdown, and with our families, and school and home and work all collide,” said Jill Standish, who leads Accenture’s retail practice. “Holiday is just another extension of that. And yet it’s made us all a little bit more tolerant, a little bit more human.”

SOURCE: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/01/pandemic-weary-shoppers-want-a-meaningful-holiday-season.html

• Like 6

I have seen discussions on several forums that many are planning to "get back to simple" this year - traditional Christmas with family - closer to home and more personal . . . that would be nice

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Hallelujah!

Now in all seriousness, I've noticed more attention to moving back to what is important in our lives. Myself for example, during this pandemic I've often questioned how or will I chose to go back to the constant or non-stop schedule I had. I'm enjoying being home in the evenings and feeling rushed after teaching to go to evening rehearsals and meetings.

It will be interesting to see how many of us chose to prioritize our commitments after the pandemic is over.

• Like 5

I was thinking about this today.  Three December weekends before Christmas. America waits until then to do their virtual chats Photo with Santa at the mall might be out because the mall has shut them down or Mom doesn't want to risk the exposure. 

It is going to be interesting for sure. Will there be a HUGE demand for virtual visits? Is there enough Santa's to handle the demand? Does Mom decide the convenience was so much worth it she does it again next year foregoing the mall and studio?

Stay tuned

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jerry Nebel said:

I was thinking about this today.  Three December weekends before Christmas. America waits until then to do their virtual chats Photo with Santa at the mall might be out because the mall has shut them down or Mom doesn't want to risk the exposure. 

It is going to be interesting for sure. Will there be a HUGE demand for virtual visits? Is there enough Santa's to handle the demand? Does Mom decide the convenience was so much worth it she does it again next year foregoing the mall and studio?

Stay tuned

I think the demand as well as the future of virtual visits will depend on the community. For example, the mindset of people in NYC vs folks in Tampa vs those here in Rapid City are very different. People want a nice, relaxing Christmas and I believe Santa coming to them, either virtually or physically is a part of that

• Like 3

On 10/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, Black Hills Santa said:

I think the demand as well as the future of virtual visits will depend on the community. For example, the mindset of people in NYC vs folks in Tampa vs those here in Rapid City are very different. People want a nice, relaxing Christmas and I believe Santa coming to them, either virtually or physically is a part of that

i would have to agree here. I believe that either way it goes that we as Santa will roll with it and deliver come what may

• Like 2

I agree, Covid has brought with it a renewed sense of 'Basic', lots of families being forced to spend time together which may otherwise have not been the case, weekends a couple of hours in the evening with the children if they were lucky. I know from my experience this year lots of families have reconnected in the traditional sense, creating play, walking out on the one hour exercise window etc. For this that took the opportunity do to this, has been rewarding, hopefully this will continue post covid whenever that may be.

On the flip side, during the course of my 'day job', there has been a significant increase in respect of mental health and well being, particularly among children and young people, this is likely to be replicated globally. Certainly in the UK childrens lives have been tipped upside down. Having to make drastic changes in their routines, education socializing with friendships groups etc...

Many have experienced the loss of family members, being unable to begin closure as a result of limited attendees to funerals etc. If this isn't concerning enough, add all of this to those who are already disadvantaged and marginalized members of our communities, one can only imagine the sense of despair and trauma experienced. Huge increases of domestic violence, child abuse, elderly isolation...loss of employment, the list is endless in respect of the impact....

and as many Santa's have said, Christmas is going to be a different experience this year, and I feel a duty to ensure and employ what ever safe methods available to spread the Christmas joy with a view to bringing even the slightest ray of happiness.

I thank God for the life and opportunities my life has been given I will try and make the most of them and share where ever possible

Keep Christmas Safe

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies