Why You Should Be Concerned About Canceling Thanksgiving

Elf Hermey

As COVID-19 rages across the country and the world, local governments are now going beyond “asking” citizens to limit gatherings. We are being told now to cancel them altogether. “You must cancel the normal Thanksgiving plans,” Chicago Mayor Lori LightfootRead more

View the full article

• Wow 1
  • Angry 2

Not cancelling anything here.

According to the CDC's own Data, TOTAL Deaths in the US (all causes):

2017:  2,813,503 (234,000/Mo)

2018:  2,839,206 (237,000/Mo)

2019:  2,855,000 (238,000/Mo)

2020:  2,130,000 (Jan - Sept) (236,000/Mo)

So if you take the 2020 monthly average (236,000) and multiply by 3 for the remainder of the year, and add that into the year's total so far you get a projected: 2,130,000 + 708,000 = 2,838,000  Or in other words, less total deaths than 2019!

Some other stats, again provided by the CDC...

Annual deaths in the US due directly to cigarette smoking: 480,000, with 41,000 of those being second hand smoke related. So about 1,300 deaths daily. (Mar 23, 2020 data)

Deaths in the US blamed on Covid-19 for 2020*: 242,861

So almost 2x's as many people will die in 2020 due to smoking than Covid.

Average #'s of some other deaths in the US:

95,000 deaths due to excessive alcohol use

48,344 (2018 data) suicides

606,520 from all cancers

* this # is more than likely inflated as it counts covid deaths in people that had other heath related issues such as diabetes, congestive heart problems and other life threatening health issues

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Florida has been in phase 3 for about 6 weeks.  I'm glad I live here, not sure how the citizens in some of the states can take the restrictions placed on them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eileen Strom said:

Not cancelling anything here.

According to the CDC's own Data, TOTAL Deaths in the US (all causes):

2017:  2,813,503 (234,000/Mo)

2018:  2,839,206 (237,000/Mo)

2019:  2,855,000 (238,000/Mo)

2020:  2,130,000 (Jan - Sept) (236,000/Mo)

So if you take the 2020 monthly average (236,000) and multiply by 3 for the remainder of the year, and add that into the year's total so far you get a projected: 2,130,000 + 708,000 = 2,838,000  Or in other words, less total deaths than 2019!

Some other stats, again provided by the CDC...

Annual deaths in the US due directly to cigarette smoking: 480,000, with 41,000 of those being second hand smoke related. So about 1,300 deaths daily. (Mar 23, 2020 data)

Deaths in the US blamed on Covid-19 for 2020*: 242,861

So almost 2x's as many people will die in 2020 due to smoking than Covid.

Average #'s of some other deaths in the US:

95,000 deaths due to excessive alcohol use

48,344 (2018 data) suicides

606,520 from all cancers

* this # is more than likely inflated as it counts covid deaths in people that had other heath related issues such as diabetes, congestive heart problems and other life threatening health issues

I realize, Eileen, that you found those numbers elsewhere, but they are not correct.  I was doubtful so I took the time to do my own research (using the CDC data same as the claim above).  Via a google search I found a post w/ nearly identical data (https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3144912) and went to the link it had for 2020 data (https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Weekly-Counts-of-Deaths-by-State-and-Select-Causes/muzy-jte6).

I exported the data and loaded it in to excel.  It had rows for each week, for each state, rows for the United States (i.e., totals), and for each year 2019 and 2020.  I filtered to just show rows for Unites States.  There were 2,417,613 in 2020 through week 39 (9/26/2020 - the date referenced in the fake data above).  There were 2,128,712 in 2019 through week 39 (9/28/2019).

The increase in deaths for 2020 is 288,901 through the 39 week period, or about 7,408 per week.  Assuming the same rate for the rest of the year (which could be much worse if covid rates continue to rise), the total deaths could be predicted to be 3,223,484 for 2020.  So the estimated increase for 2020 (relative to 2019 whole year of 2,852,607) would be 370,877.

Note: the CDC data does extend through week 44 (ending 10/31/2020), but I used the same period as was posted above.  Also I noticed that most recent weeks must not have complete reportings yet as I compared the last 3 weeks to their counterparts in 2019 and those were the only weeks all year that have fewer deaths.  It is fair to assume that the numbers for these weeks are still being compiled (can be easily checked in a few weeks - I'll bet they will have increased to values larger than their 2019 values).

People can still make their own choices.  But hopefully they will be more informed w/ accurate data.

• Like 1

The point is, no one, including the government can keep you 100% safe, let alone safe from an airborne virus.

This WHOLE thing is about gov't control, and people giving up up their freedoms, for a false belief in safety.

We are allowing the government to strip away our rights, try to monitor our every move, and allowing the media to control our fears and emotions. This isn't about them caring for us, this is about them abusing the Constitution. And we are seeing how many sheep there are.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies