Michael Rielly

• Management

A dive into the surprising history of the Christmas carol

Classic FM
December 3, 2020
By Rosie Pentreath

EXCERPT

efe829a3-0684-4f30-9b82-ebe7afd62928.jpg

In 1928, the Choir of King’s College, Cambridge’s Christmas Eve carol service was broadcast over the public airwaves for the very first time.

The same year saw The Oxford Book of Carols – edited by Percy Dearmer, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and Martin Shaw –published, aiding the wide enjoyment of festive hymns throughout the population.

But what are the origins of the Christmas carol? What actually is it to “sound Christmassy”? And why don’t we just sing Christmas carols all year round?

It’s not as obvious as you might think, so do indulge our festive feelings, and join us on a journey through the history of the Christmas carol.

What was the first Christmas carol?

It’s generally accepted that one of the first Christmas carols ever to be recorded was the 129 AD ‘Angels Hymn’, according to The New Daily. Around this time, Christianity-themed hymns started taking over the previous pagan songs celebrating Winter Solstice.

More and more slow, solemn hymns started to emerge in the fourth century, and by the 12th, songs referring to Nativity themes and creatures had emerged.

According to Oxford Dictionaries, one of the oldest printed carols is the ‘Boar’s Head Carol’, which dates from 1521. Apparently, it was traditionally heard annually at Queen’s College, Oxford as Christmas lunch was carried in.

What makes Christmas music so Christmassy?

There are several elements that go into something seeming to sound unquestionably Christmassy.

Stirring melodies are usually sprinkled with minor and diminished chords – think of the mix of major and minor melody lines in ‘God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen’ – in popular Christmas carols and songs.

This all underpins lyrics that are nostalgic, and often as sombre as they are uplifting and inspiring. Centred around the miraculous story of Jesus’s birth, of course, the overall message of the Christmas carl is one of awe, humility, hope and abundant joy.

In more modern Christmas music, you can rely on a stick of ‘sleigh bells’ or similar to guarantee a Christmas auditory association.

Today, lots of new choral Christmas music is often commissioned by leading choirs like The Choir of King’s College, Cambridge, and lots of leading living composers, including Arvo Pärt, Eric Whitacre and Bob Chilcott, have written beautiful contemporary carols.

Full Article: https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/occasions/christmas/carol-history-origins/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great reading Michael. Thanks! I would like to comment about making music sound more, "Christmassy". Our modern ears are very accepting of "Jazz Chords",  or "extended chords", that combine to make majestic Christmas melodies sound more Christmassy. Chords that make music sound Christmassy could be annoying in other styles of music. For example, in addition to the minor, and diminished chords mentioned in the article, contemporary musicians incorporate Major 7th, minor 7th, Major 6th, minor 6th, suspended 4th, lowered 5th, raised 5th, 9th, 11th, 13th, etc. chords, to envision soaring angelic choruses being sung by individuals, or by a multitude of Heavenly Host. Simple Folk Carols, Christmas Hymns, and Contemporary Carols alike, are enhanced by thinking outside the realm of 3 note chords, making Christmas Music unique. As unique and Heavenly as it's Subject.

• Like 4

There is so much in the History of Christmas and the Culture that has developed since Christ's birth

The carol was originally a seasonal dance song usually in tempus perfectum (compound or 3 metre.) We still have many Easter, Epiphany, Advent, Ascension, and other Liturgical Seasons, but we now use the term Carol to describe both secular and sacred Christmas Music.  

There is a wealth of great music that celebrates both the Sacred Observance and the Secular Festival. As a Choral Conductor, there are so many works I look forward to performing, but Christmas Music holds a special place in my heart and I always look forward to the Christmas Concerts each year. I still remember one of my mentors in grad school sharing with us how from all the concerts he would conduct each year the Christmas Concerts were his favourite. By the way, he was the person who encouraged me to develop my North Pole and gave me my start in Holiday Pops Concerts as Santa.

It's very fascinating to read the background on many of the most popular Christmas pieces and how their composition was a true act of love. That could be an entire series of articles.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Michael Rielly featured this topic

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
        • Love
      • 30 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply