A new Waltons movie with Richard Thomas is coming to television - “The Homecoming.”

Rob Thompson

A new Waltons movie with Richard Thomas is coming to television.

The original John-Boy actor will narrate a rebooted version of “The Homecoming.”

Source: ME TV 25,05,2021

Not sure about you folk, but I have fond memories of the original Christmas episode, so Im looking forward to this :) 

h693S-1621976697-3573-blog-Waltons_reboo

Richard Thomas is coming back to Walton's Mountain, in a manner of speaking. He'll be narrating, presumably in the "older John-Boy" role that Early Hamner Jr. played in the original series, a TV holiday special titled The Waltons' Homecoming. Set to air later this year on the CW network, it's a new version of the small-screen movie that first introduced audiences to the Walton family.

NOSTALGIA
1970S
The Waltons creator Earl Hamner Jr. explained why Richard Thomas was the perfect John-Boy
The Homecoming: A Christmas Story first aired in December 1971. Based on writer Earl Hamner's real-life upbringing, it followed a large family coping with the hardships of the Great Depression while eagerly awaiting the return of their father on Christmas Eve. It was a much more faithful adaptation of Hamner's life than the 1963 Henry Fonda movie Spencer's Mountain, which was set in the present day and relocated to Wyoming instead of the mountains of Virginia.

Read to Me

1x
-02:20
audioplace.me logo
Richard Thomas is coming back to Walton's Mountain, in a manner of speaking. He'll be narrating, presumably in the "older John-Boy" role that Early Hamner Jr. played in the original series, a TV holiday special titled The Waltons' Homecoming. Set to air later this year on the CW network, it's a new version of the small-screen movie that first introduced audiences to the Walton family.

See More

NOSTALGIA
1970S
The Waltons creator Earl Hamner Jr. explained why Richard Thomas was the perfect John-Boy
The Homecoming: A Christmas Story first aired in December 1971. Based on writer Earl Hamner's real-life upbringing, it followed a large family coping with the hardships of the Great Depression while eagerly awaiting the return of their father on Christmas Eve. It was a much more faithful adaptation of Hamner's life than the 1963 Henry Fonda movie Spencer's Mountain, which was set in the present day and relocated to Wyoming instead of the mountains of Virginia.

The Homecoming was a hit but it wasn't exactly a pilot for The Waltons. It featured the same seven children, including Richard Thomas as John-Boy, but most of the adult roles were given to different actors for the series. Ellen Corby was the only adult actor to be in both The Homecoming and The Waltons.

The new movie is intended to be a standalone special but, like the original Homecoming, could inspire more if the network sees a good enough opportunity. The plot and time period remain similar to the original. John-Boy Walton, who secretly harbors dreams of becoming a writer, must decide between following in his father’s footsteps and striking out on his own. Things are complicated by the fact that his father’s journey home on Christmas Eve is delayed by a terrible storm and John-Boy must venture out to find him.

Besides Richard Thomas returning to narrate, two lead casting announcements have been made. Bellamy Young, who was born in Asheville, North Carolina, and played Mellie Grant in Scandal, will be the new Olivia Walton and Logan Shroyer, who played the younger version of Kevin in This Is Us, will star as John-Boy.

The Waltons' Homecoming will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first time the famous Virginian family appeared on television. Whether it will inspire a new series next year to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the original show remains to be seen.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The Homecoming is one Christmas special that is on my "must watch" list.  I have the DVD and watch this every Christmas.  Such wonderful acting and a great story!  Love the very end where John Walton is explaining to all the children how he got all their Christmas presents!  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This is great news, finally some family friendly entertainment at Christmas time!

I sure hope they keep the Christian tones in the remake.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

This is great news, finally some family friendly entertainment at Christmas time!

I sure hope they keep the Christian tones in the remake.

Totally agree Johnny, back to family friendly entertainment, it seems to be overlooked far to much these days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite Christmas movies! Don't think it needs a remake but I'm interested to see it anyway.

• Like 2

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies