‘Red One’: Producer Hiram Garcia Teases the “Massive Holiday Christmas Movie” That Could Be Dwayne Johnson’s Next Film

Rob Thompson

‘Red One’: Producer Hiram Garcia Teases the “Massive Holiday Christmas Movie” That Could Be Dwayne Johnson’s Next Film

Source - Collider

By - Adam Chitwood

Date - 05-08-2021

Garcia, who originated the idea, describes the Amazon project tonally as 'Hobbs & Shaw' meets 'Miracle on 34th Street'.

'Wayne Johnson has just wrapped up an intense string of blockbuster projects that he made all in a row, but his next film could take him into uncharted territory. One of Hollywood’s most in-demand actors, Johnson went from the Fast & Furious spinoff Hobbs & Shaw to the blockbuster sequel Jumanji: The Next Level to the Disney franchise-starter Jungle Cruise to the Netflix heist adventure Red Notice to his first DC superhero movie Black Adam, which just wrapped filming last month. And while Johnson is now going to take a bit of rest before shooting Season 2 of Young Rock, the film that could wind up being his next project that he shoots next year is a film of a very different sort.

the-rock-red-one.jpg?q=50&fit=contain&w=
Red One is based on an original idea conceived by Hiram Garcia, producer and president of production at Johnson’s Seven Bucks Productions. The notion was to craft a globe-trotting holiday movie anchored by Johnson, building out a mythology with the potential to start a new franchise. It was inspired by Garcia and Johnson’s desire to do a big holiday movie over the years, but never landing on the right project.

I spoke with Garcia recently for an extended, exclusive interview about Seven Bucks’ exciting slate of upcoming projects (including Jungle Cruise), and he spoke enthusiastically about the genesis of Red One:

“This is a very special project for me and our entire team. It’s something I have been thinking about for several years. We've always wanted to do a massive holiday Christmas movie, but couldn’t find the right one. We were looking for something that matched DJ's DNA, something that had more bite to it, that was much bigger, and more global. I had this idea for quite a long time and during the pandemic, I thought to myself, ‘Let me put my head down now while we have this window of time working from home, and try to flesh it out.’”

So flesh it out he did, and then Garcia presented the idea to friend and Hobbs & Shaw screenwriter Chris Morgan who agreed to write the screenplay for a project he describes tonally as Hobbs & Shaw meets Miracle on 34th Street:

“I created a treatment and came up with an entire universe of what I thought it should be and what DJ, [Seven Bucks co-founder and co-owner] Dany [Garcia], and I had always envisioned in this type of film. Shortly after that I shared it with longtime friend, Chris Morgan, who’s written the majority of the Fast & Furious films, and fortunately his response was , ‘Hell yes! I’m in!.’ My pitch to him was simple. Tonally lets make Hobbs & Shaw meets Miracle on 34th Street. Big, crazy, four-quad action all over the globe that infuses mythology and turns it on its head, and Chris got it right away.”

The project landed at Amazon after a bidding war, and Garcia said they’re closing in on their director soon

“We took it around town, and fortunately all of our studio partners threw their hats in the ring. I was so flattered to see the way everyone was bidding on it, but ultimately Amazon stepped up in a huge way and really understood our ambition and the story we were trying to tell. We’re so happy to be making it there and now have our sights set on the perfect director for it. I think you're going to be excited when we share who is coming on board. Our goal is to get that going next year.”

Garcia went on to explain what excites him and the Seven Bucks team about working with Amazon on what’s sure to be a very big movie:

“They really get it, and Jen Salke is doing an incredible job over there. She’s got an amazing plan and they are very calculated with what they go after. They love to build huge worlds over there just like us at Seven Bucks and we’re fired up to build more with them.”

While one could categorize almost every film that Johnson and Seven Bucks makes as a “family film” to varying degrees of intensity, they haven’t yet done a full-on Christmas movie, and it’ll be exciting to see what a Dwayne Johnson Christmas movie looks like. Clearly they’re planning something huge, and Garcia sounded hopeful that Red One could be next up on Johnson’s very busy dance card with production beginning sometime next year. At least, that’s the goal.

Looks like this will be worth a watch, I enjoyed him in Jumanji, a lot of fun.

Mind you I still prefer the original with Robin Williams :) 

• Like 2

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies