Entrepreneur launches a reusable Christmas cracker with the traditional bang

Rob Thompson

Entrepreneur launches a reusable Christmas cracker with the traditional bang
Source -  Stuff

By - Marta Sheerman

Date - 17-08-2021

Emma Conyngham has launched a reusable Christmas cracker which she hopes will eventually displace the disposable, single-use cracker containing junky plastic toys.

1629095344534.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=m

Her social enterprise, Waste Free Celebrations, had huge success last year with its reusable Christmas gift bags selling hundreds online and now has more than $25,000 of orders for the eco-friendly Christmas cracker, and it’s only August.

A reusable cracker is a bit of a mind bender. How do you reuse it and get it to re-crack when you’ve already pulled it apart?

It took her some time to work that out after looking at lots of patterns of crafted crackers like those with toilet rolls or napkins with Velcro. Nothing came close to the traditional cracker.

Conyngham reckons she has cracked it with her crackers that pull apart with just the right amount of tension to ensure they go off with a bang and look beautiful.

Reusable Christmas crackers made by Waste Free Celebrations have cardboard interlocking tubes and cotton sleeves.
She worked with a tube company in China to develop a custom-made interlocking tube with a patent for that pending.All the business advice she had received was to get the products made in China, and “I find that a bit soul-destroying, not just from a business point of view, but I am a crafter”.

“I wanted to turn the cracker experience on its head. Instead of a disposable cracker with a hat that falls down your face and filled with plastic junk, I wanted something that is beautiful, entirely reusable, supportive of local business as well as charity.”

Statistics provided by Customs showed cracker use was declining. Last year 1.7m were imported, down from 4.5 million in 2016.

The reusable cracker is made of two cardboard tubes, one a tiny bit smaller than the other. The smaller cracker is pushed into the larger cracker just a few centimetres to create the tube. A 305 millimetre-long (12-inch), and 5mm-wide “snap” is placed down the centre of the tube and snaps with a bang when the cracker is pulled from both ends.

Getting sufficient “pull” took a lot of time and money. The crackers were tested by an engineer who verified her “Re-Crackers” snapped with the same force as a disposable cracker.

.A cotton Christmas party hat that comes in the Re-Cracker, a reusable Christmas cracker, can be washed and used over and over again.
The Christmas wrapping on the outside of the cracker has been replaced with washable cotton sleeves which cover the cardboard tubes. The fabric features traditional Christmas designs and themes by graphic artists in Taranaki and Otago.

Living in Wanaka, Conyngham has a circle of local women in Central Otago who work on a per-piece basis to sew the cotton sleeves and reusable gift bags.

In Auckland a group of Afghan women do the same sewing work.
Conyngham said from her time working in Afghanistan she knew Afghan women were great seamstresses while a relative was a volunteer at the Afghan Refugee centre in Auckland, so together they found several women who wanted to do the work.

Each cracker is filled with a party hat made of cotton and wadding in bright colours, so they can be used over and over again, as well as jokes and mini gifts made by local businesses, like tiny soaps, key rings, fridge magnets, solid shampoo, and candles and donation tokens towards a local charity. Each year the business will sell refill packs that will include the snaps, jokes and small gifts. So not only was the cracker saving waste and environmentally friendly, it also supported local businesses and charities, Conyngham said.

Trees That Count chief executive Adele Fitzpatrick offers her advice on how to have a lower-carbon Christmas.
“We don’t have to give up all of our traditions. We can just refine and redefine how we do things.

“We’d love to see the end of the disposable cracker in New Zealand by 2030 and to make reusables the new normal.”

“It’s our first year. If it works well we would like to expand the types of products that go into the refills, so you can really tailor it to your family and your group.”

“These are lifelong heirloom pieces, so you invest in them, and you have them for many years, so you want them to be good quality.”

And she hoped to have the tubes made here next year.

A cracker box of eight costs $199.95 and a refill pack $39.95 and are sold online. Customers receive a sheet of instructions and a video of how to reload the crackers.

• Like 2

I wonder if this will take off. It does make sense, but seems quite expensive, and thats generally a blocker to mass purchase.

• Like 2

This is a great idea!  I've seen the crackers used in videos and shows from the UK, but it never caught on in this country.

• Like 1

We love Christmas crackers. I received my first from a Brit when we were in Iraq. The next Christmas I ordered some for my kids and every year they love opening them. Their affordability is what makes them winners. This reusable one?.... I agree with Rob...cost may kill it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/19/2021 at 1:09 PM, Black Hills Santa said:

We love Christmas crackers. I received my first from a Brit when we were in Iraq. The next Christmas I ordered some for my kids and every year they love opening them. Their affordability is what makes them winners. This reusable one?.... I agree with Rob...cost may kill it.

Yes, ethically the reusable crackers make total sense, but most people tend to vote with their pocket as it were :) 

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies