Call to keep daily worship to save Christmas carols

Rob Thompson

Call to keep daily worship to save Christmas carols

Source - Tes

By - Amy Gibbons

Ex-education secretary says pupils only learn Christmas carols and harvest hymns by singing them at school

iStock-1279911157.jpg?h=140710cd&itok=AA

Keep daily school collective worship to save Christmas carols, says former education secretary
Most pupils only know Christmas carols and harvest hymns from singing them at school, according to a former education secretary.

Baroness Morris of Yardley told peers she would not want a society where young people do not know such songs, adding that it gives them a chance to understand the origins of key events.

She made the remarks as peers considered the Education (Assemblies) Bill, which aims to repeal the requirement for daily acts of collective worship in non-faith schools.

The news comes as survey findings released today by Humanists UK reveal that a majority of parents (65 per cent) are not aware that the collective worship law exists.

The YouGov poll also shows that, once they were informed of the rule, 60 per cent of parents opposed it being enforced.

Former education secretary defends collective worship in schools
Just 24 per cent thought it should be imposed, while a further 12 per cent said they weren't sure.

Lady Morris, who served as education secretary in Tony Blair's Labour government between 2001 and 2002, said today that she supports religious education but finds collective worship “bizarre” and the “most difficult to justify” of the links between church and state over education.

She told the House of Lords: “But I do think there are advantages and I do think there are disadvantages, and I think we would lose if we abolished it and that’s why I don’t support [the bill].”

Lady Morris questioned whether schools would assemble children together on a regular basis if the requirement was removed, adding: “I think that cultural heritage, the ceremonies which pepper our lives, are important.

“And although many of us don’t have a faith, most of us choose to go to a ceremony at key points.

“I don’t know the figures, but in terms of baptism and marriage, funerals or whatever, we turn to faith institutions.

“And if we’d never had any experience of worship, of service, of ceremony based on faith, I don’t know how we would cope with turning to those institutions at key points in our life and in the decisions that we make.

“And I think we’ve got cultural experiences and occasions that are also in common.

“Most children would not know about Christmas carols if they didn’t sing them at school.

“And as harvest approaches, one of the reasons we probably all know the hymns of harvest is because we sung them at school.

“I wouldn’t want a society where children didn’t know about Christmas carols because, although Christmas is often not celebrated as a faith occasion in many homes, that is its origin and that is what it means and that’s what it stands for – and children need to learn and understand that so they can make their own decisions.”

• Like 1

This is so true. collective worship has always been part of education curricular and to remove it, in my opinion is not a very good idea. Thee are so many children who really dont know the origins of Christmas, in essence, Christmas being nothing more than a time to receive gifts etc.

Whilst I appreciate, social norms have changed radically since I was a child and religious denominations/ faiths and beliefs are many and diverse now,(Certainly in the UK), but to remove religious teachings in school, is somewhat lacking and thoughtless to say the least.

Sorry!

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies