Families told to freeze Christmas dinner as festive shortages loom

Rob Thompson

Families told to freeze Christmas dinner as festive shortages loom

Source - Evening Standard

By - John Dunne

Date - 01-10-2021

Shoppers should buy their Christmas dinner in advance and stash it in the freezer amid warnings shops could run out of some items in the run up to the festive season.

84ae1a35f8bbaa7805c7b6e9b83a96a4Y29udGVu

Retail experts have sounded the alarm over the shortage of HGV drivers to deliver stock to supermarkets.

Meanwhile problems in recruiting meat processing staff has also added to the difficulties with producers warning pigs in blankets may be off the menu.

In response, the government has announced plans to allow 5,500 poultry workers and 5,000 lorry drivers to enter the UK on three-month work visas that are due to expire on 24 December.
However, retail chiefs said the system will not kick-in properly before the Christmas rush.

James Withers, of Scotland Food & Drink told The Independent families should “ plan ahead” and freeze what they can as early as possible to avoid having missing ingredients to a traditional Christmas dinner.

He added to the publication: “Ultimately, now I think we have just run out of time,” said James Withers, of Scotland Food & Drink. I don’t think there is anything that can be done now to get the Christmas trade where it should be.

“That’s despite warnings being sounded since the summer of the scale of the potential labour shortage we might face.”

The British Retail Consortium warned 5,000 lorry driver visas would not be enough to prevent Christmas disruption.

Last week, retailers demanded they needed more work force in 10 days to ensure everything was smooth running at Christmas.

Poultry companies issued a stark warning turkeys could be in short supply because of production line workers.

• Sad 1

Well  Ive popped a turkey in the freezer in advance of the potential shortage, but Ill be looking for a fresh one if available.

Gordon the goose is definitely on the Christmas menu regardless :) 

Poor Gordon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have many thought running through my mind about the shipping situation, but I’m tired of how possible shortages are announced that only causes panic. We’re thinking of a different menu and simplifying our celebrations. One of my brothers has recommended that we rethink out gift giving to each other and plan more family events this year instead of buying items that we eventually donate.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Santa Bruce Geron said:

I have many thought running through my mind about the shipping situation, but I’m tired of how possible shortages are announced that only causes panic. We’re thinking of a different menu and simplifying our celebrations. One of my brothers has recommended that we rethink out gift giving to each other and plan more family events this year instead of buying items that we eventually donate.

good idea Bruce. To be honest I'm fed up with the media coverage and doom n gloom, 'Its the end of Christmas' bla bla bla....

The joy of Christmas should not be dependent upon a turkey and toys yes it is nice to maintain family traditions, but we dont need all of the additional, and in many cases the unnecessary waste at Christmas. Perhaps if the media predictions are true, people will focus on what is important and maybe have an even better Christmas as a result. Surely it cant be worse than last year when most families could not even meet up with each other. :( 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:19 AM, Rob Thompson said:

Meanwhile problems in recruiting meat processing staff has also added to the difficulties with producers warning pigs in blankets may be off the menu.

Is pigs in a blanket a British Holiday delight ... I've never associated "pigs in a Blanket" to the holidays ... ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

Is pigs in a blanket a British Holiday delight ... I've never associated "pigs in a Blanket" to the holidays ... ?

It certainly is Tim, ever since I can remember they have always been a staple with Christmas dinner,  So you have them over there at any other time?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

o you have them over there at any other time?

All the time. Pigs in a Blanket

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

All the time. Pigs in a Blanket

what are they wrapped in?

This what we make, wrapped in bacon yum yum :) 

pigsinblankets.jpg

30 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

what are they wrapped in?

Biscuit dough.  Yum, sometimes they are called a kolache.  We eat them wrapped in bacon as you do as well, but most of the time it is biscuit dough.  I'll take one of each please. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it’d be good to brush up on the “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” history. Those fine citizens of Who-ville went through a lot. Yet they were still able to remember the meaning of Christmas. When the Who-ville children didn’t get any presents, and when the Roast Beast wasn’t on the table, and even when the Cheer Meister canceled the Who-bilation…Christmas still went on. They still gathered together and were thankful. It a good thing for children to remember that the best gifts, the really best things in life, can’t be wrapped up with bows and ribbons. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

good idea Bruce. To be honest I'm fed up with the media coverage and doom n gloom, 'Its the end of Christmas' bla bla bla....

The joy of Christmas should not be dependent upon a turkey and toys yes it is nice to maintain family traditions, but we dont need all of the additional, and in many cases the unnecessary waste at Christmas. Perhaps if the media predictions are true, people will focus on what is important and maybe have an even better Christmas as a result. Surely it cant be worse than last year when most families could not even meet up with each other. :( 

Remove the media and most conflict that we have all disappears. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

It certainly is Tim, ever since I can remember they have always been a staple with Christmas dinner,  So you have them over there at any other time?

I haven't ever had a hot dog wrapped in bacon ... I must have had a deprived childhood! I learn something new everyday ... they look delicous.

What I know is what Santa Craig descrbed.

3 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Biscuit dough.  Yum, sometimes they are called a kolache.  We eat them wrapped in bacon as you do as well, but most of the time it is biscuit dough.  I'll take one of each please. 

They are not something that I relate to a Holiday, well not until now!

Thank you

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

I haven't ever had a hot dog wrapped in bacon ... I must have had a deprived childhood! I learn something new everyday ... they look delicous.

What I know is what Santa Craig descrbed.

They are not something that I relate to a Holiday, well not until now!

Thank you

Our Pigs in Blankets aren't hot dogs, they are sausages. Having saif that, Ive not had an american hot dog, the hotdogs over here are totally different to sausages.

Hot dog here, yuk yuk 

hot-dog-isolated-on-white-260nw-38264460

Sausage here, yum yum :_

400x225_cmsv2_d3c76606-ca7e-529f-a6c7-11

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Our Pigs in Blankets aren't hot dogs, they are sausages.

Same here Rob. Our Pig in a Blanket is a sausage link.  Sometimes they are small, sometimes the size of a hot dog weenie, but definitely a sausage link.  Some people even make a hot dog with a true sausage link.  In Texas we do tend to refer to them both as dogs, but we know a link from a weenie.  I'll still take one of each, any day of the year, add at least little mustard, please.  

• Like 2

Definitely with a little mustard with you on that one :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Randy said:

Remove the media and most conflict that we have all disappears. 

Agreed.  Spoken like a true Okie.  I was born and raised in Tulsa for 16 yrs.  Been a Texan for 52 yrs, but I remember my roots.  

Edited by Santa Craig Maxwell
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 4:19 AM, Rob Thompson said:

Poultry companies issued a stark warning turkeys could be in short supply because of production line workers.

I haven't heard of a bird shortage here yet, we'll see.  In the US, we have the traditional Turkey dinner with with all the trimmings for Thanks Giving, and then again a month later for Christmas.  Another question for you Rob;  Do you have dressing, (stuffing) with your turkey?  Here, dressing with gravy is as much a part of the plate as turkey.  As we have turkey-n-dressing, for our Thanks Giving, in November, some will opt for a Christmas Ham.  (Not my choice).  Often we substitute sweet potatoes, for white potatoes.  Sometimes both are offered.  By the way, my calendar says today is Thanks Giving Day in Canada.  Happy Thanks Giving, Canada!

• Like 1

Yes we have stuffing, all sorts of different combinations, The base is generally pork sausage meat, mixed with a range of herbs, you can add cherries, cranberries, apricot, chestnuts the list goes on and on... and of course, lashings of gravy :) 

2 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Yes we have stuffing, all sorts of different combinations, The base is generally pork sausage meat, mixed with a range of herbs, you can add cherries, cranberries, apricot, chestnuts the list goes on and on... and of course, lashings of gravy :) 

Wow, our stuffing is different.  It starts with cornbread mashed up, and tons of herbs, and various seasonings, eggs, etc. added.  I couldn't possibly know how to mix it up, but meat is not part of it.  It is stuffed into the turkey and baked along with it.  Very good, very unhealthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Wow, our stuffing is different.  It starts with cornbread mashed up, and tons of herbs, and various seasonings, eggs, etc. added.  I couldn't possibly know how to mix it up, but meat is not part of it.  It is stuffed into the turkey and baked along with it.  Very good, very unhealthy.

Oh yes its definitely un healthy! I generally mix it and add the ingredients etc and stuff the bird, I also place a large onion in the cavity too. In addition we will make a few trays of stuffing with different flavours. Im salivating now :) 

1 minute ago, Rob Thompson said:

Oh yes its definitely un healthy! I generally mix it and add the ingredients etc and stuff the bird, I also place a large onion in the cavity too. In addition we will make a few trays of stuffing with different flavours. Im salivating now :) 

Y'all have Thanksgiving dinner with us, and we'll have Christmas dinner with Y'all.  January 1st, Fasting

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Y'all have Thanksgiving dinner with us, and we'll have Christmas dinner with Y'all.  January 1st, Fasting

If only, that would be wonderful :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob Thompson said:

if only, that would be wonderful :) 

We need a Magic Christmas Snow Globe

• Like 1

As usual, I chased a rabbit, but getting  back to the topic;  Just this morning, I went to Walmart to pick up a few things my wife said may be in danger of running out.  I found everything on my list, but the shelves are looking a little lean.  Could be a typical Monday morning after a busy weekend, or could be an omen.  I'm gonna stay stocked up just in case.  Meanwhile, the critters in my back yard are eating everything I put out, they haven't read about shortages.    

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

As usual, I chased a rabbit, but getting  back to the topic;  Just this morning, I went to Walmart to pick up a few things my wife said may be in danger of running out.  I found everything on my list, but the shelves are looking a little lean.  Could be a typical Monday morning after a busy weekend, or could be an omen.  I'm gonna stay stocked up just in case.  Meanwhile, the critters in my back yard are eating everything I put out, they haven't read about shortages.    

You may wish to consider putting some of the critters in your freezer too :) 

1 hour ago, Rob Thompson said:

You may wish to consider putting some of the critters in your freezer too :) 

Good plan...they are well fed

23 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

I went to Walmart to pick up a few things my wife said may be in danger of running out. 

After thinking over the next few months, I went back to Walmart today and stocked up on things that we might need in Dec. and beyond.  Paper goods, over the counter meds, etc. most importantly...coffee, and cross word puzzle books.  Rats, I forgot battery's.  Goin back

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

After thinking over the next few months, I went back to Walmart today and stocked up on things that we might need in Dec. and beyond.  Paper goods, over the counter meds, etc. most importantly...coffee, and cross word puzzle books.  Rats, I forgot battery's.  Goin back

What are the batteries for?

1 hour ago, Rob Thompson said:

What are the batteries for?

I need a 12V truck battery for a winter back up, and AA/AAA battery's for TV, satellite, and DVD controls, plus flash lights (torches). 

Edited by Santa Craig Maxwell
  • Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies