Pub cancels Santa’s reindeer visit after animal activists ‘threaten to burn it down

Rob Thompson

Pub cancels Santa’s reindeer visit after animal activists ‘threaten to burn it down

Source - Yahoo News

By - immy Nsuguga

Date - 07-11-2021

A pub has cancelled a visit from Santa and his reindeer after animal rights activists allegedly threatened to burn it down if the event went ahead.

Steve Eccles, 45, and Rebecca Eccles, 43, said they received threats after inviting Father Christmas, his elves and two reindeer, to the Saddle Inn at Fulford, near York, to give out presents to children.

8a11b4df382786fdad32f8d9cb756b17

They claim they were sent abuse, including an email threatening to burn the pub down, after Freedom for Animals activists alerted their followers on social media.

Activists allegedly urged the couple to go “animal free” and bombarded them with thousands of “menacing” emails.

Police advised them to cancel the event following the threats.

Mrs Eccles said: “I’m upset that someone has threatened to burn the pub down with us in it, but it more the fact that this was for the local community."

The event was scheduled to take place on the last Saturday before Christmas, with Mrs Eccles posting an advertisement on her pub’s Facebook page.

But on Tuesday evening she noticed a stream of emails flooding into the pub’s account telling her to cancel the event.

Mrs Eccles added: “Many that we received that were threatening and menacing were from the Freedom for Animals group. 

"We had 400 in the space of two hours.”

Writing on Facebook, she said: “Obviously we have to take this seriously for the safety of our staff and our visitors and on the advice of the police we are going to have to cancel this event.”

Mrs Eccles added the reindeer visited last year and grazed happily in a cordoned off grass area, not in a "miserable little pen."

Freedom for Animals said it raises awareness about the “plight” of animals used as props in festive events, which it claimed were forced to endure cramped conditions, loud noises, and manhandling from the public.

In a statement, it said: “On Tuesday November 2, we used social media to draw our supporters’ attention to one event in York, where a pub was planning on having reindeer on site for just this kind of event.

“We asked our supporters to contact the venue and politely ask that they continue their celebrations without the use of live animals.

“The pub owners have alleged that some of the communication they have received from members of the public have been threatening in nature.

"We as an organisation do not condone any threats of violence and would not encourage anyone to make any.”

A North Yorkshire Police spokesperson added: “A complaint has been made about this matter and enquiries are ongoing.”

• Angry 1

Absolute bin cases, for heavens sake :( 

• Like 3

How sad.

The world is full of nut cases.

• Like 4

Just now, Eileen Strom said:

How sad.

Totally Eileen, with all thats happening to the world, one would think there were slightly more important things to be worried/angry about. 

As the saying goes

"you can please some of of the people some of the time"  , .my twist on that,.......

"But some of the people just refuse to be pleased!"

• Like 3

I'm prepared for there to be some heckling at the mall gig this year.  I hope not, but I'm prepared.  Sad indeed. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

I'm prepared for there to be some heckling at the mall gig this year.  I hope not, but I'm prepared.  Sad indeed. 

Ive never been heckled before, Ive never come across it. Is that common over there or do they just take exception to you Craig lol :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Ive never been heckled before, Ive never come across it. Is that common over there or do they just take exception to you Craig lol :)

You've been heckled, I heckle you on a daily basis.  

heck·le
/ˈhek(ə)l/

verb

• 1.interrupt (a public speaker) with derisive or aggressive comments or abuse:"he was booed and heckled when he tried to address the demonstrators"
  • Haha 5

I'd hold the event with every guest invited to open carry firearms. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Black Hills Santa said:

I can agree with that. I am an Army veteran and I have a concealed carry. While I might not carry as Santa, I am also trained in 16 martial arts, so I would say I am as prepared as I can be!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Black Hills Santa said:

And...I would set up picnic tables, fire up the grill, and bbq all kinds of game. Make a party out of it. Turn their hatred into a fun time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Black Hills Santa said:

And...I would set up picnic tables, fire up the grill, and bbq all kinds of game. Make a party out of it. Turn their hatred into a fun time. 

One of my favorites PETA

P=People

E=Eating

T=Tasty

A=Animals

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Black Hills Santa said:

Unfortunately you can only carry a water pistol over here, or fortunately depending upon your perception of firearms. :)

If the water pistol in anyway looks like a replica firearm there is a danger of arrest too depending what you are doing with it!

But I get the message and in this instance yea all in :) 

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 5

I continue to be amazed how one person can prevent an event from taking place.

They must live a very sad existence.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Black Hills Santa said:

Jason, I must confess, when I first read your comments I didn't realise which post it was referring to. My initial thoughts were,

'Jason has really lost the plot here. What sort of Santa invites all the guests to open carry firearms at a Christmas event and what sort of event is it".

Then I scrolled up to the post topic, lol  it made total sense :)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

When all you do is look for wrongs, then everything becomes a wrong. Some people need to adjust their perspective and start looking for what is right and good.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2021 at 7:08 AM, Rob Thompson said:

They claim they were sent abuse, including an email threatening to burn the pub down, after Freedom for Animals activists alerted their followers on social media.

Activists allegedly urged the couple to go “animal free” and bombarded them with thousands of “menacing” emails.

Police advised them to cancel the event following the threats.

Mrs Eccles said: “I’m upset that someone has threatened to burn the pub down with us in it . . .

On 11/7/2021 at 7:08 AM, Rob Thompson said:

Mrs Eccles added: “Many that we received that were threatening and menacing were from the Freedom for Animals group. 

"We had 400 in the space of two hours.”

Writing on Facebook, she said: “Obviously we have to take this seriously for the safety of our staff and our visitors and on the advice of the police we are going to have to cancel this event.”

Um, yeah, I mean, I know I'm really, really late to this . . . but this is nuts. This is absolutely, 110% nuts. I mean, who let the vegans/"animal rights" protestors off the funny farm, again? This probably wasn't the first stunt these morons pulled, and, sadly, it may not be their last.

On 11/7/2021 at 8:14 AM, Eileen Strom said:

The world is full of vegans who think they can threaten innocent people (let alone, those poor little reindeer) and not suffer any consequences. The sad thing is the real sufferers of this nonsense would be the reindeer themselves. If those nuts could've burned the whole place down, those poor animals would've surely died. Not that such people (vegans) actually care about animals, though. They only care about pushing their own crazy political agendas.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 1:43 PM, Santa Craig Maxwell said:
On 11/7/2021 at 12:42 PM, Rob Thompson said:

And I love watching it! 🤣

On 11/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, Black Hills Santa said:
On 11/7/2021 at 5:51 PM, Black Hills Santa said:

People tried it once. It looks to have been as hysterical as it sounds. Source: 

It's really simple: love your neighbor as yourself by offering them delicious BBQ ribs. Yum! Santa wants ribs, now. :sc_drool2:

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 6:43 PM, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

heck·le
/ˈhek(ə)l/

verb

• 1.interrupt (a public speaker) with derisive or aggressive comments or abuse:"he was booed and heckled when he tried to address the demonstrators"

All this was posted before I joined so I know this is an old post.

Often the person is just wanting to join in and be apart of what's happening. Their comments are not aggressive, just a distraction.

If it gets worse, you can try to ignore it, but it it gets really bad and the person says something totally unacceptable, claim you didn't hear it. If you then ask the child what was said it will put the focus back on the child and hopefully shame the heckler. The other adults present should then step in to shut them up.

Edited by Cliff Cringle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cliff Cringle said:

If it gets worse, you can try to ignore it, but it it gets really bad and the person says something totally unacceptable, claim you didn't hear it. If you then ask the child what was said it will put the focus back on the child and hopefully shame the heckler. The other adults present should then step in to shut them up.

Ive never been heckled whilst working with children as Santa, indeed its the only time it doesn't happen lol

• Haha 3

Hold on someone actually took someone else to court over a BBQ smell. That is the saddest excuse I have ever heard in my life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Hold on someone actually took someone else to court over a BBQ smell. That is the saddest excuse I have ever heard in my life.

Well it depends on the smell lol

Sad, but not really surprising anymore. Apparently, the case happened in Australia. I don't know if someone would be crazy enough to try that over here in America (hopefully not). Oddly enough, the case in Australia lit up like a Christmas tree. It wasn't pretty. Source: 

When people (on either side of the aisle) harass others, that's when you know they've taken things too far. Although I think the vegan woman is totally nuts, and although I certainly agree she shouldn't have sued her neighbors (or even been allowed to sue them in the first place), once threats are involved, you make sure to stop the nonsense, wherever it comes from. It was a good idea, though, to protest such foolish handwringing (re: veganism) by hosting a BBQ.

Edited by Sundblom Santa

2 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Well it depends on the smell lol

Apparently, the vegan woman (Cilla Carden) didn't like the smell of her neighbors cooking fish. Even if a person would be objecting to the smell, the adult thing to do would be to go over and, you know, talk to them like a rational human being (not sue them like a crazy woman). Of course, if she wanted to sue them, that might indicate they didn't have such a good, neighborly relationship to begin with. Or she could just be some crazy vegan lady. 😆

• Haha 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies