Kal Penn To Star In Series 'The Santa Clause,' Production To Begin Soon

Michael Rielly

• Management

Kal Penn To Star In Series 'The Santa Clause,' Production To Begin Soon

Outlook India
05 Mar 2022

EXCERPT:

IMAGE_1646418696.jpeg

'The Namesake' star Kal Penn is all set to feature opposite Tim Allen and Elizabeth Mitchell in Disney+ upcoming limited series 'The Santa Clause'.

Allen will reprise his role as Scott Calvin from the Walt Disney Pictures holiday franchise in the series from creator Jack Burditt, reported Deadline.

As per the official logline: Scott is on the brink of his 65th birthday and realizing that he can’t be Santa forever. He’s suddenly starting to lose his Santa magic, and more important, he’s got a family who could benefit from a life in the normal world, especially his two kids who have grown up at the North Pole. 

With a lot of elves, children and family to please, Scott sets out to find a suitable replacement Santa while preparing his family for a new adventure in a life south of the pole.

Penn will play Simon Choksi, an ambitious game inventor and product developer and a devoted single father.

Mitchell reprises her role as Mrs. Clause from the films.

Jason Winer will direct and executive produce the series along with Jon Radler for Winer’s Small Dog Picture Company. Burditt executive produces and serves as showrunner. Allen also executive produces with Kevin Hench, Richard Baker and Rick Messina. 

Penn is best known for his roles in the 'Harold & Kumar' franchise, 'House' and 'Designated Survivor.'

SOURCE: https://www.outlookindia.com/art-entertainment/kal-penn-to-star-in-series-the-santa-clause-production-to-begin-soon-news-185251

• Like 2

This should be interesting a television Series about Santa trying to find a replacement.  Has the potential to confuse a lot of children. 

• Like 5

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Well, we'll see

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Rielly said:

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Yeah, Mike, that's what I thought. Still, I guess we'll see what comes of it (I still think I'll probably give it a hard pass). I'm not much into sequel . . . after sequel . . . after sequel. The first one was magical, the second was OK (although it had its moments). The third one was abysmal, and I just like to pretend it doesn't exist. For me, it was that awful. This television series doesn't look any better.

1 hour ago, Tim Mack said:

Has the potential to confuse a lot of children. 

It may or may not (I'm not sure). Children are resilient, and, besides, I remember being a child: it would have gone way over my head (and the heads of nearly all of the other children I knew growing up). I'm not as keen on the "replacement Santa" concept, as well, because, in my chosen "head canon" (I think that's what they call it) when I get into character is that Santa Claus is basically St. Nicholas (and he's now at or close to 1,762 years young and counting). So, maybe I'm a little biased. I did like the costuming in the first one, though, so there's that, of course.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 1

• Management

This explains a lot...

• Like 1

Surprised this isn’t met with more enthusiasm. Kal Penn is a talented comedic and dramatic actor.

I understand why many of us wouldn’t have liked Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle (for which he is best known), but I feel he has chops. He was especially good in House.

I was a little worried when I first heard this series was being made (especially since the third movie was so terrible), but I feel a little better now.

• Like 1

To me, the logical choice to replace Scott Calvin, would be his son Charlie (and his family) to take over the "Family Business".
Hopefully this movie won't be Woke and going in the way that so many Disney things are seeming to go these days. I am keeping an open mind on the project tho, but somehow I think it is going to be a dud if they don't keep it in the 'family'.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Michael Rielly said:

This explains a lot...

Yes, yes it does! "It's a bit like going to a burlesque show, except all the dancers look like Elizabeth Warren" (1:08-1:13). Bwahahaha! Oh, my gosh! :sc_rofl: Thanks, Mike! I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time! Wow! Not every day you get to see something like that on ClausNet! 🤣

Moving on (while still heaving on the inside), the analysis is really spot-on. I basically agree with 100% of the analysis in the video. Modern movies are often made by adult children for adult children. Obviously, although there are a few exceptions (e.g., Hacksaw Ridge, 2016, for example, or Saving Private Ryan from 1998, for only a few examples), a lot of movies have this trend. It's really not a surprise: directors, actors, and producers graduate from ultra-left-wing universities and then go live and work (for the most part) in an ultra-left-wing bubble (modern Hollywood). Of course, I don't think that libertarians or conservatives should choose to work and live in bubbles, either. Of course, that's beside the point. Good points from the video. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, TamaleClaus said:

In this case, the question is " What would Walt think?"

Walt would be . . . disturbed (both at our culture and a lot of what passes for modern films).

3 hours ago, Jeff Hillyard said:

Surprised this isn’t met with more enthusiasm. Kal Penn is a talented comedic and dramatic actor.

I understand why many of us wouldn’t have liked Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle (for which he is best known), but I feel he has chops. He was especially good in House.

I was a little worried when I first heard this series was being made (especially since the third movie was so terrible), but I feel a little better now.

Although I absolutely disdain marijuana use, I don't think one movie heavily referencing it should have to negatively define an actor's whole career. Assuming Mr. Penn is a talented actor, he may indeed have the chops. We'll just need to wait and see. I wish him all the best, anyhow. As an aside, I hated House (2004-2012). Of course, I hate medical shows in general. Then again, I hate anything medical, anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eileen Strom said:

To me, the logical choice to replace Scott Calvin, would be his son Charlie (and his family) to take over the "Family Business".

Indeed, that would seem to be the logical choice. Yet, they made Charlie an angsty teenager in the second one and introduced a new child in the third one, so who knows? After all, the sequels themselves don't seem to care about consistency (as regards the overarching plot) when it comes to storytelling (which is really such a shame).

1 hour ago, Eileen Strom said:

Hopefully this movie won't be Woke and going in the way that so many Disney things are seeming to go these days. I am keeping an open mind on the project tho, but somehow I think it is going to be a dud if they don't keep it in the 'family'.

I hope it won't be "woke," either, although I don't personally think the inclusion of Mr. Penn would make it "woke" (not at all saying you were saying that; I'm just clarifying my own position as to the woke silliness). Still, as you said, we should all keep an open mind. Maybe it won't be . . . that bad. Hopefully, Charlie will replace his father. As of now, we'll just all have to wait and see.

The really sad thing is that woke politics, contrary to the claim(s) often made, actually adds-to and incentivizes racial hostility and personal animus (on both sides of the aisle, although I personally feel it tends to do that more to our friends on the left than those of us on the right, although maybe that's just me). Instead of everybody coming together, woke politics drives us apart. I just hope the woke nonsense won't come into the Santa community itself (although maybe that's too much to hope for nowadays).

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I dont understand why they are serializing it and not making it a movie, cost I suppose.

Anyway its a suck it an me me thinks :)

• Like 1

Interesting concept.... might be a good new "Christmas show"....  Most likely will get a big push from Disney so we in the community might want to see it if only to be aware of story lines and questions we might get from the children. 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, TamaleClaus said:

The "Walt Disney Company" has stopped asking this question; A very long, LONG TIME AGO. 

Between movies, theme parks and over all day to day operations. 

23 hours ago, Merry Town Santa said:

Interesting concept.... might be a good new "Christmas show"....  Most likely will get a big push from Disney so we in the community might want to see it if only to be aware of story lines and questions we might get from the children. 

Any of the questions about the TV or ANY of the SANTA movies, ALWAYS get The Oompa Loompa answer from me. When I tell them You MUST stop watching and believing in that TV. 

willy wonka oompa loompa GIF 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/11/2022 at 6:15 PM, Michael Rielly said:

This explains a lot...

I really like this posted video.  It really does explain a lot to get to the final point.  It was a fun watch.  Just like the comments, including mine can be fun to read. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Schwindy said:
On 3/11/2022 at 8:20 PM, TamaleClaus said:

The "Walt Disney Company" has stopped asking this question; A very long, LONG TIME AGO. 

Between movies, theme parks and over all day to day operations. 

Tell me about it! While a few buddies and I were hoping to get some much-needed vacation time and hoped we could plan a trip to Walt Disney World (I've never been), it's one of those things where the price of admission alone is ridiculous. Let alone the various "extras" (accommodations, meals, airfare, and so forth). Gosh, I bet the price to go, with adding everything up and splitting it different ways, would be at least a couple thousand. Even if everything would be split, I really don't want to pay all of that (at least not right now). And it's not as if the Disney Corp.'s hemorrhaging money or having issues with cash flow. They have theme parks in different areas of the world, are making films literally every single year, and are (to be brief as one can possibly be) successful. Granted, I'm not blaming them for their success. Good for them. I just think Walt would be disappointed. That's the real shame here.

12 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Any of the questions about the TV or ANY of the SANTA movies, ALWAYS get The Oompa Loompa answer from me. When I tell them You MUST stop watching and believing in that TV. 

willy wonka oompa loompa GIF 

Indeed. The kid (literally named Mike Teevee . . . because, of course he was) was a brat. Of course, all of the children were brats, except, of course, for Charlie (he gave Mr. Wonka the Everlasting Gobstopper back and hence passed the test and won the factory because of his selflessness). Off-topic, but, although I didn't watch a lot of television as a child (thank heavens), but, gosh, do I remember this. Thanks for sharing. I can still hear the voice of Gene Wilder say, "But, Charlie, don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted. . . He lived happily ever after." Gosh, that was a wonderful movie. So shines a good deed in a weary world. ❤️

• Like 2

WOndering if it will be available in the UK? :) 

• Like 1

• Management
On 3/12/2022 at 8:28 AM, Rob Thompson said:

I dont understand why they are serializing it and not making it a movie, cost I suppose.

Anyway its a suck it an me me thinks :)

This the thing now. Disney+ has been doing this with a few of their franchises. They did it with Marvel (Mandalorian, Boba Fett, etc.) and Marvel (WandaVision, Loki, etc.) It keeps viewers coming back every week for several months as opposed to a one time two hour viewing.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

WOndering if it will be available in the UK? :) 

Do Y'all have Television now?

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Do Y'all have Television now?

Of course not, its an old fridge with the back cut out and we place pictures there and pretend, whats more, we save a fortune on batteries a there isn't a remote :) 

• Haha 4

• Supporter
9 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

whats more, we save a fortune on batteries a there isn't a remote :) 

We had a remote, it was called the youngest kid in the family.  No batteries needed, but of course started with 3 stations, then went to 4 to include PBS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can't be any worse than the Mel Gibson movie. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 3/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, SantaJoe said:

Ugh. That movie was absolute trash (not that I'd ever pay good money to see trash like that, of course). Movies like that (don't even get me started on the "Bad Santa" crap) are an assault on the Santa Claus Legend. They're baseless, crass, and bring shame on the good name of St. Nicholas. Imagine if a child would see such filth. Children deserve better than that. One who puts on the suit for any other reason than making children happy doesn't deserve to wear it. Of course, those are just my two cents.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 2:20 AM, TamaleClaus said:

We had a remote, it was called the youngest kid in the family.  No batteries needed, but of course started with 3 stations, then went to 4 to include PBS.

I used to be that "Remote" I recall there were only 2 stations then, BBC and ITV :)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Management

Jeff's post on MMC is spot on!

MYMERRYCHRISTMAS.COM

The Santa Clause is a Disney Christmas movie franchise that died an ugly death. But it's not dead yet and that could be a problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apparently Penn was also in Deck The Halls?

• Like 1

A bad ending to the original, if they needed to replace Santa his son Charlie would have been the correct storyline. expect it ti be a fail.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael Rielly said:

Jeff's post on MMC is spot on!

MYMERRYCHRISTMAS.COM

The Santa Clause is a Disney Christmas movie franchise that died an ugly death. But it's not dead yet and that could be a problem.

Love Jeff. Always a great read on all-things Christmas. Thanks, Mike. It's very much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 8:37 PM, SantaJoe said:

Who is Mel gibson :) 

• Haha 2

On 3/11/2022 at 4:30 PM, Michael Rielly said:

EXCERPT:

As per the official logline: Scott is on the brink of his 65th birthday and realizing that he can’t be Santa forever.

WAIT A MINUTE, WHAT? At that age, a lot of us are just getting started... :santa_cheesy:

• Haha 2

On 3/11/2022 at 10:58 PM, Eileen Strom said:

Apparently, you have to have the initials, "SC" in your real name to be considered a replacement for Santa... :sc_mad:

• Like 2

I dislike it when anyone gets a hold of something and want to change it to leave their mark on it. Scott's son should be the one to take over, and 65 is not to old, though I am only 50 about to be 51, I can still see myself at 65 being Santa for as long as the Good Lord gives me to be Santa!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Apparently, you have to have the initials, "SC" in your real name to be considered a replacement for Santa... :sc_mad:

Well thats me in, Sobert Chompson :) :) 

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I dislike it when anyone gets a hold of something and want to change it to leave their mark on it. Scott's son should be the one to take over

Oh, yes, but of course, that not how modern Hollywood rolls. Take Charlie, for example. You can't have him taking the position over from his father, as that could be construed as being supportive of family values . . . and we can't have any of that! Oh, no! So, you have to change it. Of course, I'm not saying you can't ever seek to improve on something (for example, "Christmas Vacation" was probably the best one in the series, comedy-wise). It's just that there really seems to be a push, nowadays, to go back and change things, not so that we can learn from the past on what to do, what not to do, and so forth, but in the sense of erasing the past (acting as though it never existed).

It'd be one thing for them to address *why* Charlie may not take over for his father. That'd be one thing. Yet, from where I sit, they most likely won't even address it. They'll just ignore the elephant in the room so they can push their own woke brand of "diversity" (which, I might add, is certainty not fair to Mr. Penn, who I'm sure is a phenomenal actor and really deserves much better than to be used as a "prop" and a sidepiece, all so the Left can virtue signal on how allegedly correct it is).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

65 is not to old, though I am only 50 about to be 51, I can still see myself at 65 being Santa for as long as the Good Lord gives me to be Santa!

No, it isn't old! Heck, I'm only in my late twenties. I began portraying Santa when I was fourteen years old. When I'm 65, assuming the Lord terries, then I'll have been Santa for fifty years. What a journey! I can't wait! 😊 It's a blessing to portray Santa. One who does it should know how lucky he is to be able to do so.

Off-topic, but, hey, the prediluvian patriarch Methuselah lived nine hundred and sixty-nine years (Gen. 5:21-22, 25-27; 1 Chron. 1:3; Lk. 3:37). Now *that's* old! 🤣

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I will be 70 by Christmas and have no intention of quitting.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Santa TJS said:

I will be 70 by Christmas and have no intention of quitting.

70! I dont believe it you dont look a day over 80 :) 

Having  met you in the zoom chats, I would have taken 10 years off the 70

I shall have myself snowballed :) 

giphy.gif

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies