Christmas 2022 May Have a Severe Santa Claus Labor Shortage

Drosselmeyer

Christmas 2022 May Have a Severe Santa Claus Labor Shortage

the Blot magazine - by Richard Kagan - January 2022

Christmas-2022-May-Have-a-Severe-Santa-C

THERE MAY BE A SERIOUS SANTA CLAUS LABOR SHORTAGE THIS CHRISTMAS 2022

So the labor market is in total flux.  So yes, that is a kind of a bad case of the flu.  And no, there’s no convenient shot for that.  The causes are myriad, and I won’t dive into that here as we will all drown in numbers and theory without really getting to any conclusion.  But that aside, this labor market in flux means a labor shortage across a lot of sectors.  And Christmas 2022 is not immune, and it could change our experience in a big way.  How?  Well, how about how there will be a possibly severe shortage of Santa Claus(es) this year?

Read More: 

BUSINESSES MAY HAVE TO SHELL OUT BIGGER BUCKS TO THE REMAINING SANTAS IN THE LABOR MARKET

So yes, there are a host of different businesses that contract with people who work as Santa Claus.  Stores, of course.  Businesses that want that special holiday visibility, too.  But the biggest losers will be anyone who wants their very own Santa Claus for their Christmas parties.  This year, it seems, older men with a decent belly and a jolly demeanor will be harder to find than ever before.  So what’s going on?  Well, lifestyle, for one.  And lifestyle includes the new, fluid pandemic reality.  And Christmas 2022 just may have a different feel than any we’ve had before, with Santa Claus as a labor force demanding better pay.

Related: Nikola Jokic Did What You Would Do to Markieff Morris, And You Know It

WILL CHRISTMAS 2022 CHANGE THE GAME FOR THE SANTA CLAUSE LABOR MARKET FOREVER?

So concerns over Covid and “lifestyle changes” have made a dent in jolly, big-bellied men’s willingness to don the suit for the happy holiday dollar.  But there are several who still want to work.  But many retailers may balk at the price.  And if you are a seasonal worker, you’ll want to pay attention.  Santas this year who are still willing to be jolly in the traditional garb are demanding between $175 up to $300 an hour for any Christmas 2022 gig they work.  Sure, that seems like a lot.  Like, a LOT.  But here’s where the shock comes in.  That price range is only about $50 more an hour than the norm!

So we’ll see where this goes.  But I bet that if there’s any collective bargaining, that the Abominable Snowman will be representing Ole’ Saint Nick.  I mean, Nicks.

Source:   https://www.theblot.com/santa-claus-shortage/?fbclid=IwAR1KXXubAru6qZvJmyZcMrVFZeyZhsQziGgmQq5PKIJhO6MY9dZMoNWFbmk

• Confused 1

I kinda feel like this is old news - reads like it was rehashed from last year

and am I missing something ??        $175-300 and hour ???  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Drosselmeyer said:

Oh there are guys charging more than that. I saw someone posted at 500.00 an hour and another higher. This was 2 years ago when I started because I wanted to figure what I should charge as a new Santa. I don't care how many years I do this, I will never charge that much!

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

I guess those charging fees like that live in areas that can support it.  I don't believe my area will support fees like those given in the article.  

• Like 6

Is, "Don't muzzle the Ox" applicable or not? I don't know.  Many visits are a half hour or less, so charging $100.00 an hour will only pay $50.00, and Santa pays the travel time and expense out of that. As a mall Santa I'm paid way less than I earn, and way more than I deserve. 

• Like 6

It seems to be old news re born as it were. We had similar  stories in the run up to last Christmas an it proved to be correct. For my own part I was turning stacks of work away as I was already booked. I also ha companies and parents offering to pay more money to visit them instead of others. Of course that wasnt ever going to happen.

I think one of the downside to this was the amount of what I call band wagon Santas that appeared. Purchase the cheapest suit possible an put themselves out there as NUMBER 1 SANTA. Sadly, I am aware from a number of families and business that were really let down, some felt it was daylight robbery an others upset as the children even questioned the validity of Santa.

In this respect Im hoping this season isnt a repeat of 2021, if it is I can but only despair

There will be a shortage of Good Santa's as most of them are already pretty much booked for 2022, 

• Like 5

The article stipulates that the labor market is in flux. However, I believe it is very evident that we are entering a recession. A recession always increases the unemployment level, therefore there may be a number of Santa's available, however, they will not be able to charge big bucks because people will not be spending the money this year.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Oh there are guys charging more than that. I saw someone posted at 500.00 an hour and another higher. This was 2 years ago when I started because I wanted to figure what I should charge as a new Santa. I don't care how many years I do this, I will never charge that much!

Wow! Yikes! First of all, that's ridiculous. There's no need to charge that much! Granted, I know times are tough (especially nowadays, with gas prices and everything), but come on! Such people depress me. I'm not going to say much else as far as this thread goes, but I'll add one thing: sometimes (especially during a recession), people need the positivity and happiness that Santa can bring (not material things, but what really counts--love, hope, and joy all wrapped in a warm Santa hug, and, for pressing needs, writing a name down in our prayer books). As long as the children know Santa loves them, they'll be fine. Like Cliff Snider often tells the children, "Santa loves you, and Jesus does too! Merry Christmas!" Such are my own words for now, and I'll probably try and avoid any more discussion of our economy like the plague. It's not my thing. I just hope and pray our economic recession doesn't yet become an economic depression.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Drosselmeyer said:

I doubt there will be a shortage in anxious want-a-be Santa's. I will turn 69 this month, and I represent a scary large number of "Baby Boomers" who are retired now and can grow white hair, and beards. They are joining the ranks of "I think I'll be a Santa now" in droves. The market will have plenty of willing bodies. I hope they will find their way to ClausNet, and other mentor groups before getting out there unprepared, and make a mess of things.

1 hour ago, Rob Thompson said:

I think one of the downside to this was the amount of what I call band wagon Santas that appeared.

Our best foot forward is to recruit, and mentor these men and women, for the sake, and longevity, of the community.

• Like 5

Wait WHAT?!

Were supposed to be charging to play Santa?!?!

🤦‍♂️
I’ve been doing wrong since 1999!!!

:sc_rofl:  :sc_rofl: :sc_rofl:

Edited by Schwindy
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Schwindy said:

Wait WHAT?!

Were supposed to be charging to play Santa?!?!

🤦‍♂️
I’ve been doing wrong since 1999!!!

:sc_rofl:  :sc_rofl: :sc_rofl:

Exactly, Schwindy. Just what I was thinking. When did portraying Santa Claus become a "big commercial racket" (Lucy Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas)?

Meanwhile: you've been doing it since '99? Of course, I guess you could say . . .

Feeling Old GIF by A&E

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sundblom Santa said:

Exactly, Schwindy. Just what I was thinking. When did portraying Santa Claus become a "big commercial racket" (Lucy Van Pelt, A Charlie Brown Christmas)?

Meanwhile: you've been doing it since '99? Of course, I guess you could say . . .

Feeling Old GIF by A&E

I think you will find that Christmas has been a commercial racket for decades, for certain sectors, including some Santa's, and sadly I cant see that changing anytime soon.

Love the Uncle Si gif :) 

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Black Hills Santa said:

The article stipulates that the labor market is in flux. However, I believe it is very evident that we are entering a recession. A recession always increases the unemployment level, therefore there may be a number of Santa's available, however, they will not be able to charge big bucks because people will not be spending the money this year.

Yes, we are also moving into recession over here, but that wont stop some Santa's over charging and there will be/are sufficient people with the money to pay them. I mentioned earlier, I had companies and parents trying to bid for my services, eg offer more money by way of letting someone else down. 

Only recently I had a company attempt to lure me away from the Garden centre were Ive worked for several years by way of offering more money despite me explaining I have already agreed a contract. There are some  despicable people out there!

• Like 2

Yeah, I think that all the Santas who read the article, "How To Make $10K a Year Playing Santa Claus!", realized that it was just a get rich quick scheme and that there is no easy money out there to be made. The pandemic didn't make it any better, so a lot of them sold their suits, shaved their beards and are now trying to get rich buying Bit Coins.

What remains are the guys who have Santa in their hearts and would play Santa if there were money to be made or not.

And there are not enough of us to go around! :drinks:

• Like 4
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

What remains are the guys who have Santa in their hearts and would play Santa if there were money to be made or not.

So true, Jude and I were only chatting about this yesterday, how if we won the Millionaires lottery, I would still portray Santa, its in my blood, its in my heart :)

• Like 2
  • Love 3

43 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

So true, Jude and I were only chatting about this yesterday, how if we won the Millionaires lottery, I would still portray Santa, its in my blood, its in my heart :)

I can fully agree with this @Rob Thompson! I am Santa and will be till I die if I have anything to say about it!

• Like 5
  • Love 2

The present article aside, I do think we’re going to see a  shortage of people assisting Santa in the next 10-20 years.

As baby boomers begin to retire (and sadly, pass away) there will be less people who are “the right age” to portray Santa.

Locally I’m the only person I know of who portrays Santa who is under the age of 40.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Jeff Hillyard said:

The present article aside, I do think we’re going to see a  shortage of people assisting Santa in the next 10-20 years.

I am on the young side too @Jeff Hillyard.  41 here and going into my 3rd year.  But my hope in starting now is to gain as much knowledge and wisdom as possible from all of these guys ahead of me to try and carry on the mantel as respectfully and with as much professionalism as possible.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Santa Jerod said:

I am on the young side too @Jeff Hillyard.  41 here and going into my 3rd year.  But my hope in starting now is to gain as much knowledge and wisdom as possible from all of these guys ahead of me to try and carry on the mantel as respectfully and with as much professionalism as possible.  

I am a little older, but have the same desire. I will be 51 in June.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Yeah, I think that all the Santas who read the article, "How To Make $10K a Year Playing Santa Claus!", realized that it was just a get rich quick scheme and that there is no easy money out there to be made. The pandemic didn't make it any better, so a lot of them sold their suits, shaved their beards and are now trying to get rich buying Bit Coins.

Oh, Good Lord! Bitcoin, really? Some people never learn. Keep in mind, I'm not saying anything against cryptocurrency/Bitcoin per se (I don't know enough about it, and it's really not my thing; I don't like the idea of places going cashless as it is).

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Haha 1

Seems a little like the man who chased riches in the Parable of the Sower (Matt. 13:22; Mk. 4:19; Lk. 8:14). He was never actually genuine to begin with, so when he saw riches, he (like Judas) was no longer even interested. He showed what was always in his heart, and that he was never actually interested in the Word in the first place, but only interested in what he thought the Word could buy him (riches, wealth) or give him (earthly security in the here-and-now).

Granted, it's not exactly the same thing obviously, but the underlying principles I think are the same: you know a person is genuine (with whatever they do) if they continue despite knowing they're never going to get rich doing it. Instead, they continue because of the sheer joy and happiness it gives them doing whatever it is they're doing. The work is enough for them. They don't need (as in the case of Santa), the flashiest suits, the most unique business cards, the ritziest celebrity/Hollywood bookings, or anything like that. Heaven forbid some of these "celebrity Santa's" (another oxymoron) act like Santa (such as visiting soup kitchens and homeless shelters, children's hospitals, and retirement homes, anywhere love, hope, and joy are needed, or even doing some often-paid work pro bono).

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

2 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I can fully agree with this @Rob Thompson! I am Santa and will be till I die if I have anything to say about it!

18 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I am a little older, but have the same desire. I will be 51 in June.

20 minutes ago, Santa Jerod said:

Such wonderful food for thought! I love it! If we understand portraying Santa to be about serving and loving others, we'll do fine (even if we have a cheap $12.25 costume from Walley World). Conversely, even if someone has the best suits or accessories one can buy (not saying that's a bad thing), but they don't have love, the work they've put in buying those things doesn't matter. Without love, Santa's work means nothing.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

if we won the Millionaires lottery, I would still portray Santa

Same here.

34 minutes ago, Jeff Hillyard said:

Locally I’m the only person I know of who portrays Santa who is under the age of 40.

"Your young men will see visions. Your old men will dream dreams". ClausNet has a slew of younger Santa's who will carry the mistletoe into senior years, and hopefully there are many more unbeknownst who are receiving mentorship as well. As long as Santa looks and behaves like Santa, children won't notice if there are crows-feet or not. Young visionary's will carry on Santa's legacy, especially if we are all diligent to recruit and mentor.                                                     

• Like 5
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

I think you will find that Christmas has been a commercial racket for decades, for certain sectors, including some Santa's, and sadly I cant see that changing anytime soon.

BINGO!!! HIT IT ON THE NOSE SO HARD IT IS GLOWING!

Red Nose Christmas GIF

5 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Yes, we are also moving into recession over here, but that wont stop some Santa's over charging and there will be/are sufficient people with the money to pay them. I mentioned earlier, I had companies and parents trying to bid for my services, eg offer more money by way of letting someone else down. 

Only recently I had a company attempt to lure me away from the Garden centre were Ive worked for several years by way of offering more money despite me explaining I have already agreed a contract. There are some  despicable people out there!

Those ppl are despicable!!!
bugs bunny ugh GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

4 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

@Santa Johnny Boy
   YES MY PITTSBURGH POPS, TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

@Rob Thompson
    I HEAR THAT! In 01' they told me I'd be in a chair within 10 yrs. You know the kind where they have two big wheels in the back and two small ones up front, because of the MS. I have OVER RUN that stay by 11 yrs so far. With me being able to portray on and off over the past 10, many more yrs off but still playing and TO ME, THAT'S PLAYING THE LOTTERY AND WINNING!

& IF WE EVER HIT, CAN YOU IMAGINE THE THINGS WE WOULD BE ABLE TO DO AS SANTA BECAUSE OF THE RESOURCES!?!?! WE WOULD HAVE AT HAND! WOW!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 5/3/2022 at 9:37 AM, Drosselmeyer said:

Yeah,... it's possible to make that amount, but it's not the kind of easy money that one makes fresh out of Santa School.

In larger cities, I can do pretty well MCing at huge Christmas Events, usually with one or more corporate sponsors.  It's a different level of work than just posing for photos with kids and selfies for adults (which you still have to do).

It means going out on stage with a microphone, doing a little warm up, telling a few jokes. introducing and thanking the sponsors, welcoming the guest of honor and being able to improv and ad lib when necessary. You might have to pick the winning prize ticket out of a hat, and there's a real art to doing that.  You also lead the countdown and light the tree, again - there's a real art to doing it right, before heading to your Santa Chair for the rest of the evening.

To get this kind of work it would be beneficial to take evening community college classes in:

-Public Speaking 101

-Acting 101

-Storytelling 101

-Comedy 101 (you have to be good at telling a joke!)

Study old TV hosts and their routines. I love Johnny Carson, Carol Burnett and Red Skeleton for inspiration.

Toastmasters is always good and the Dale Carnegie Course is a major plus. Meeting and getting to know all of the local event planners would be the next course of action.

At an event, I'm rarely given a script, maybe just a few names and some talking points. The rest comes from me.  I'll rehearse a few skits and jokes beforehand, but when the spotlight is on - it's all me.

All while remembering:  Just Be Santa!

• Like 6
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

"Your young men will see visions. Your old men will dream dreams". ClausNet has a slew of younger Santa's who will carry the mistletoe into senior years, and hopefully there are many more unbeknownst who are receiving mentorship as well. . . Young visionary's will carry on Santa's legacy, especially if we are all diligent to recruit and mentor.

Indeed, if young Santa's (like myself and all of the other wonderful younger Santa's on ClausNet) don't aid in mentoring each other and recruiting others, there may not be many Santa's who come after us (both on and off ClausNet). Like I've said countless times, our portrayals of Santa would be considered vocations.

So, let each and every one of us be the best Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, elf, reindeer handler, or other Christmas performer each of us can be, until we either choose to retire, need to retire, or pass into glory. God gives children Santa Claus because He wants them to be happy (a very, very loose paraphrase of Benjamin Franklin). If we know our joyful post has been assigned to us by the Lord (and He has made us both willing and able to perform it), let us continue to improve ourselves, and hopefully also the next generation of up-and-coming Santa's and Mrs. Clauses. If the children are our center and the reason that we continue to put on the suit year after year after year (whether any of us are paid or do work pro-bono), then we won't stumble in what we do. If someone wants to become Santa for money, they're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Indeed, "You have to do this for other reasons" (Douglas Seale, Ernest Saves Christmas). ❤️

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

being able to improv

Don't get me started on the hilarity of improv comedy. I've always loved improv comedy (ever since "Who's Line Is It, Anyway?" . . . Anybody remember it?) And, besides, who says that Santa can't be funny? Of course, having said that, Santa should have Santa-like comedy (although I'd think that goes without saying).

Although we're far away from Halloween, one of my favorite Halloween films would have to be Tim Burton's Beetlejuice (and this does connect with what I've just written, trust me). Michael Keaton's hilarious. While he's only in the whole movie for maybe twenty minutes or so, Keaton (unlike Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, and the other cast members, who worked out of a traditional script) apparently got to ad-lib most of his lines. The result is fun, zany, and brilliant as far as comedies go. Because, presumably, they'd never exactly be sure what would come out of Keaton's mouth, I suppose at least some of the reactions were genuine, which makes it all so much funnier! Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice was pure comedy gold! Can't miss it! 🤣

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Schwindy said:

& IF WE EVER HIT, CAN YOU IMAGINE THE THINGS WE WOULD BE ABLE TO DO AS SANTA BECAUSE OF THE RESOURCES!?!?! WE WOULD HAVE AT HAND! WOW!

When you HIT, I want a job, a sign-up bonus, and a raise right off the bat.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

As a friend used to say, "Here's to us and those like us... damn few left."

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Schwindy said:

BINGO!!! HIT IT ON THE NOSE SO HARD IT IS GLOWING!

Red Nose Christmas GIF

Those ppl are despicable!!!
bugs bunny ugh GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

@Santa Johnny Boy
   YES MY PITTSBURGH POPS, TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!

@Rob Thompson
    I HEAR THAT! In 01' they told me I'd be in a chair within 10 yrs. You know the kind where they have two big wheels in the back and two small ones up front, because of the MS. I have OVER RUN that stay by 11 yrs so far. With me being able to portray on and off over the past 10, many more yrs off but still playing and TO ME, THAT'S PLAYING THE LOTTERY AND WINNING!

Keep on with that lottery win Schwindy, we need you back in the Red Suit :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Yeah,... it's possible to make that amount, but it's not the kind of easy money that one makes fresh out of Santa School.

In larger cities, I can do pretty well MCing at huge Christmas Events, usually with one or more corporate sponsors.  It's a different level of work than just posing for photos with kids and selfies for adults (which you still have to do).

-

There are quite a few high paid Santa jobs over here, I was offered one at the Metro, very late in the year which was offering 20K for 6 weeks work, which is a massive amount. Apart from being pre booked, the hassle of travel , traffic and 6 weeks solid of what would have been akin to an assembly line,,didnt attract me

Having said that if you are prepared to work mad hours, and have a good Santa standing as it were, the jobs are out there.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

I must be missing something. If I make a few hundred in a year, I'm happy. I get to make some people happy and get a little bit to cover my expenses and sometimes I even get a meal out of it. I ask for little more than that. When this becomes too much like work, I'm done.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 5/4/2022 at 3:39 PM, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

When you HIT, I want a job, a sign-up bonus, and a raise right off the bat.

I promise 

YOU R IN & SIGNED UP, CRAIGER!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I have an agent or two that bill me out in the $175 up to $300 an hour price range.

They take almost 1/2.

Edited by Santa Chicago
  • Wow 2

6 minutes ago, Santa Chicago said:

I have an agent or two that bill me out in the $175 up to $300 an hour price range.

They take almost 1/2.

Seems a little high for agent fees, do they provide cookies?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Seems a little high for agent fees, do they provide cookies?

Half definitely seems high. Still, they might give you cookies. 🤣

Cookie Monster GIF

• Haha 2

• Management

Half is DEFINTELY too high.  They should be taking no more than 20%.

• Like 4

There is a shortage in SD and that's okay. Why? I see it as an opportunity to do what I love across the state. My job allows me to work from home and because of that I can be anywhere in the state and be just fine. So, my wife and I talked it over a month ago and decided to spread out...across SD. Why not? I love the Mount Rushmore State and I don't have to miss work while portraying Santa/St Nicholas. We are planning to move across the state next year anyway, so why not use my current area, western SD, as a springboard with my clientele referring their family and friends across the state to me? I love being Santa and if I can do it for more folks across this great state, I say so be it!!

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Felix Estridge said:

Agents are tricky. The claim that they take 20% from you and 20% from the client, but they actually take 40% from you.

Here's how it works: A client will call an agent, ask for a Santa Claus, and say "we only have $500 in our budget for this."

The agent says, "no problem", calls you and tells you that he has a job for you that pays $300 - do you want it?

You, of course, say YES without having any idea of what the agent and the client negotiated, but the agent pocketed an easy $200, which should have been only $100.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

Agents are tricky. The claim that they take 20% from you and 20% from the client, but they actually take 40% from you.

Here's how it works: A client will call an agent, ask for a Santa Claus, and say "we only have $500 in our budget for this."

The agent says, "no problem", calls you and tells you that he has a job for you that pays $300 - do you want it?

You, of course, say YES without having any idea of what the agent and the client negotiated, but the agent pocketed an easy $200, which should have been only $100.

Exactly. As for me, I'll take a hard pass on agents (no offense for anyone who uses one and likes theirs). Then again, I'm a small-town Santa. Maybe we're getting to be a rare breed? As it is, I do various things (nursing facilities, adult day cares, and home visits, among other things, around my county/part of the state) and get the word out about my Santa services the old-fashioned way (some business cards, word-of-mouth, and a little friendly conversation, and, while I'd like to get a Santa website up, it's not in the cards right now). Besides, when you bring an agent into the mix, you're almost compelled to be competitive. "You should hire me, not that other guy!" "Pick me, not him!" Ah, no thank you. I'll pass.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Santa Chicago said:

They take almost 1/2.

Wow,  that just doesn't ring true for me, not saying your wrong, by no means. Rather it sounds as though Bugs and Daffy Duck are splittin cash ... ... ... .. . . . . . One for you & one two for me, two for you, one two three for me. ... ... ...

greed GIF

20 hours ago, Felix Estridge said:

scared bugs bunny GIF by Looney Tunes

Heart pounding SOMETHINGS GOT TO GIVE!!!

5 hours ago, Santa Johnny Boy said:

If it were me & having to deal with "an agent" (unless it was agent 99) of course & it's not, not at all

but I would say ... ... ... .. .. .. .. . . . . . .

You Lose Get Out GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Management

Let me be clear about this and using agents.  When I started working for the agency that landed me the NM gig, I was told they would take 20% of my gigs.  Now, when NM started, they lowballed their budget and this agency said, "We'll take less than our 20% to start off with and increase it as they give you increases." Which they did.  After working with them for 12 years, I discovered that they went well beyond 20% and was taking 33% of the NM total.  Then I started asking other clients about this and found that they had taken 50% of some of them.  If they were disrespecting me like that, they are doing it to others who work gigs through them.  So I started to spread the word with those facts. Nothing slanderous; only facts that I had the documentation to back up.  Some refuse to believe it, others have abandoned them.  They have lost several Santas and their biggest Mrs. Claus.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sundblom Santa said:

I'm a small-town Santa. Maybe we're getting to be a rare breed? As it is, I do various things (nursing facilities, adult day cares, and home visits, among other things, around my county/part of the state) and get the word out about my Santa services the old-fashioned way

Small town? We had our entire county carpeted last year. Seriously Sundblom Santa, I love what you're doing. In my opinion, you're living the dream...in charge of your own destiny, with a Santa ministry that is admirable. Unfortunately, agents are needed for many Santa's and this discussion is a crucial one if St. Nick's integrity is to be maintained over the coming decades. Hopefully, there are Santa's who are also serving as agents with integrity. Maybe this needs to be a growing trend among Santa's with agent/manager expertise. Hmmm

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Small town? We had our entire county carpeted last year.

By small-town, I meant my own town and one or a few others in my county. Sorry for any misunderstanding. :)

34 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Seriously Sundblom Santa, I love what you're doing. In my opinion, you're living the dream...in charge of your own destiny, with a Santa ministry that is admirable.

Well, thank you. Y'all sure can make a rural PA country boy blush. Thank you.

35 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Unfortunately, agents are needed for many Santa's and this discussion is a crucial one if St. Nick's integrity is to be maintained over the coming decades. Hopefully, there are Santa's who are also serving as agents with integrity.

Indeed, I'm not saying (or at least I don't think I'm saying) no agents for anybody. All I mean is, I'd rather not get one myself. Of course, that's just me. Yes, this discussion is indeed crucial. St. Nick and his agents, St. Nick's who serve as agents, or St. Nick's who either don't or can't get agents--all of us--should be people of integrity. Agree 1,000%. Then again, the Oath takes care of a lot of integrity issues we Kringles can face (or it should). Being a part of a brotherhood means we all help each other out.

• Like 1

Media Hype

• Like 2

There is definitely a Santa shortage in my area. Part of that is because we lost at least 3 area Santas to Covid and others have scaled back out of an abundance of caution. Last year was my busiest season ever, with well over 100 visits booked, plus dozens more that I farmed out to other Santas.

I have over 170 hours of visits booked so far this season. My bookings came very early this year and I have 2 other Santa's that I handle bookings for who are running out of openings. (I charge 0% by the way for their bookings) My prices for appearances remain the same, but my mileage fees for out of town visits do reflect the uptick in gas prices.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Ya, I'm still not sure if I believe there's a Santa shortage. To me, a shortage means less portraying Santa. I guess if you look at from the other perspective.... is every Santa wanting client able to get a Santa, then I guess that's probably true, but I'm sure it has always been that way.

I'm conflicted on the outlandish fee's that some charge. I guess supply, demand and "hopefully" quality dictates fees and to some point I can't blame someone for getting the MAX that the client is willing pay. But isn't the point of portraying Santa to spread The Spirit of Christmas? Of course from the commercial side it is spend, spend, spend. But I will stick with reasonable compensation.....  

• Like 2

Ive never have had and agent and dont intend to have one either. I'm quite happy sorting out everything myself, that way I know if a wheel comes off its my fault, not that thats ever happened, (YET)

I dont believe there is a shortage of Santa's per say, but I am aware that there is definitely a shortage of Good Santa's! and sadly a gluttony of  quick buck Santa's

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

So GigSalad says that the average Santa visit pays $200 per hour nation wide & $175 per one half hour in the Chicago area. 

If the visits were next door to each other (they are not), I could make $350 per hour.

I had one agent that collected nearly as much as they paid me. I think it was $180 for me and $165 for them.
So, $345 for a 1 hour visit as the Easter Bunny!!

I don't think there's a Santa shortage because every time a Santa School lets out, I get people calling my clients trying to get my gigs.

One actually told a client,  "Well, how much do you pay him, I'll do it for less!"

I'm glad I've built up years of loyal clients! :santa_grin:

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies