Jump to content

Girl traumatised by ‘bad Santa


Rob Thompson
 Share

Recommended Posts

A bit out of date but worth the read!

Girl traumatised by ‘bad Santa’ caught smoking in public and slurring his words
‘There was no effort in his voice. Nothing to resemble Santa at all’

Source; The Independent

By: Douglass Whitbread

Date : Dec 2021

A mother has said her daughter was left traumatised by a “Bad Santa” who was caught smoking in public and slurring his words during a meet and greet with kids.

bad-santa-a-mum-762254.jpg?quality=75&wi

Charli Lewis, 26, said she felt “let down” by the festive experience at a children’s club in Radcliffe, Greater Manchester, which had left little Layla, six, with “a lot of questions”.

Her concerns were first raised when she arrived at the venue and saw the father Christmas impersonator “smoking a cigarette” in full view of children.

Later, when the event’s organiser asked him to return to his “grotto”, she said the Santa seemed bewildered and replied that he didn’t know where it was.


Once Layla finally had managed to meet to the Father Christmas, Ms Lewis said he appeared “slumped on the couch” and had made no effort to be festive.

“There was no effort in his voice. Nothing to resemble Santa at all.”

“I felt I had let her down as a mother.”

Ms Lewis said she took Layla to see Father Christmas at Radcliffe Girls and Boys Club on Saturday 27 November as a last-minute decision to get into the festive spirit.

She said: “It was a last-minute decision. We just took her down to get her into the Christmas spirit, basically.

“It was shared on Facebook, so I just thought I’d give it a try.

However, Ms Lewis began to notice some red flags as soon as she arrived in the car park of the venue where the meet would take place.

She said: “We arrived in the car park, an he was smoking a cigarette in full view with his bird around his neck.

“I just tried to stall Layla in the car and make it a little bit longer, so she didn’t see.

“But she did say, “Oh, look there’s Santa.”

“I don’t know whether she saw the cigarette in his mouth.”

Later, Ms Lewis said that the event’s organiser asked the Father Christmas to “go back to his Grotto”, a remark that seemed to leave him confused.

She said: “We followed him in after a little bit, and we were just behind him, and the event’s organiser had said, “Go back to your grotto.”

“He replied he’d forgotten where it was.”

Once inside the grotto, she said that the Santa appeared “slumped” in his chair and wasn’t getting into the festive spirit.

She said: “He was just slumped on the couch. He wasn’t being cheery at all.

“There was no effort in his voice. Nothing to resemble Santa at all.”

Ms Lewis said that Layla was left with a “lot of questions” following the meeting.

She said: “She’s quite a nervous child, so she sat there happily and took it, but once we left, she had a lot of questions in the car.

“She said that she knew that wasn’t the real Santa, stuff like that.

“Children don’t get long to believe in Santa, which is why it’s so important for them to have a good experience, but this Santa didn’t act like Santa at all.”

Laura De-Foe, who organised the event, described their Santa as a “great and gentle man”.

She said: “He would never knowingly make a child uncomfortable, and several other children left feeling very happy and told us we had done a good job and that they would come again.”

In her free time, Layla works with Radcliffe Litter Pickers, and fellow volunteers have now paid for a trip to Santa’s Grotto at Radcliffe Christmas Markets.


 

  • Sad 4
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this is true, its not a good image for Santa's.

The Santa looks a bit like an unmade bed and the grotto looks a bit under whelming too.

How sad :( 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rob Thompson said:

The Santa looks a bit like an unmade bed and the grotto looks a bit under whelming too.

Exactly, Rob. 👍

First, this "Bad Santa" (an oxymoron) was caught smoking in public while in the suit (and I'm assuming it's not a pipe) and his beard around his neck?! Oh, good Lord. The suit itself would be fine if (1) it was on straight, (2) the hair didn't look like a mop (I mean, I know all of us begin somewhere, but come on), and (3) the "Santa" actually had a belt on. What's with the gold garland replacing a belt?! Absolutely atrocious, the lot of it. On top of it, (1) he forgot where the grotto was and (2) it was a shabby one anyways. That's awful. Granted, I'm not saying all Santa's grottos (houses) have to look like they were designed by the imagineers at Walt Disney World, but come on. With some paint, a nice exterior and interior, a comfy chair, and a few candy canes, that could be mended. It's not even that hard. Many small towns in America (at one time or another) even had standing Santa houses (mine still does) that are kept up (cleaned) all year round until Christmas.

Second, I have to say, although I feel bad for the mother and her daughter, there's a lesson in this: if you're a parent, maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to check out a Santa first. Most places nowadays have photos online you can see. That way, you can get a rough idea of the quality of the event and Santa in question. Granted, you could certainly still have a rotten Santa in a quality suit at an otherwise good event, although I sincerely hope not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is unfortunate that just a little time was not spent on attire, appearance, behavior, and a simple how to be Santa. As we have said many times on this platform, it begins and ends in the heart and truly it is easy to see who has and does not have the heart of Santa!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

It is unfortunate that just a little time was not spent on attire, appearance, behavior, and a simple how to be Santa. As we have said many times on this platform, it begins and ends in the heart and truly it is easy to see who has and does not have the heart of Santa!

You know, it really does begin and end with the heart. One quote in the article I found interesting:

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Laura De-Foe, who organised the event, described their Santa as a “great and gentle man”.

She said: “He would never knowingly make a child uncomfortable, and several other children left feeling very happy and told us we had done a good job and that they would come again.”

It very well may be the case this gentleman was a great and gentle man who would never make a child uncomfortable on purpose. Yet, a few pointers could help. If his heart's in the right place, then maybe (not at all saying anyone here would ever do this) instead of tearing him down, we can hope and pray he finds ClausNet, so we can all help each other be better Santa's (and Mrs. Clauses).

He needs to understand that Santa enters through the heart (of course, once that happens, a man who pursues this ministry, gift, calling, vocation, whatever-you-want-to-call-it, should seek to improve his behavior and attire over time as he is able). When a man puts on the suit with a pure heart (I'd say such a pure heart comes through the Holy Spirit, although that's another topic) he doesn't simply play Santa. He becomes Santa in giving love, hope, and joy to all of those he encounters.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn't agree more, I hope he has found or will find ClausNet or a local Santa group that can help guide him more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Couldn't agree more, I hope he has found or will find ClausNet or a local Santa group that can help guide him more.

How about finding a good home for the suit. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I can only really comment on the information provided in the article, but in respect of "Santa entering through the heart" which of course I truly believe, regardless of that, there is no excuse for the smoking and having read the article again, the grotto was held at a childrens club, which would suggest it is more of a community group rather than a profit making organisation and the Santa experience was there attempt to bring a little magic at Christmas. This may account for the shabby Santa look, etc... :) 

Whilst this Santa does not appear to have been bothered in any respect, the organisors of the event have to take responsibility for the smoking.

I accept that many Santa's starting off are perhaps not fortunate enough to be able to provide their own outfits and the childrens club may well have just thrown something together to give the Santa Look, which in most instances can be carried off. In fact he may not be a Santa, he may have been press ganged :) 

In terms of his reported poor interaction with the children, again this may well be a training issue,, having said that, I know from my own experience in the early days, without training etc, you can develop character very quickly without making any huge mistakes if you are motivated and still provide a great time for the children. 

I only hope that the Childrens Club, turn this experience around for next season and make it a truly positive experience for everyone. In addition, I hope the Santa concerned, should he intend to continue portraying Santa, has taken this on the chin and makes an effort to be better prepared in the future, or he doesnt volunteer again lol :)

 

 

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

How about finding a good home for the suit. 

Do you mean a garden fire :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

How about finding a good home for the suit. 

I defer to your good judgment on that topic!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I defer to your good judgment on that topic!

Good Lord, dont do that !! lol

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I asked my computer tech son-n-law how one can compete on the internet today, and he said you just have to be better than the others. In this organization, we don't compete with each other, but we have to compete with "bad Santa's", by showing that "appropriate Santa's" are available. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

a local Santa group that can help guide him more.

A local Santa group would really do wonders. 😊

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sundblom Santa said:

A local Santa group would really do wonders. 😊

I agree! We have two here in Ohio and many of us have been invited to be a part of MAPS as well, so there are many opportunities around each of us. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:
3 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

How about finding a good home for the suit. 

I defer to your good judgment on that topic!

I agree with @Rob Thompson: a garden fire all the way. 🤣

See the source image

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

I agree! We have two here in Ohio and many of us have been invited to be a part of MAPS as well, so there are many opportunities around each of us. 

Indeed, I'm not sure why, but it reminds me of the famous "Parable of the Drowning Man." Source: 

Point is, there are ample resources available if you just decide to look for them (or don't shut your eyes to what's right in front of you). There are Santa's from the UK on here (like Rob) who I'm sure would be willing to help our friend, or at least give him some advice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sundblom Santa said:

I agree with @Rob Thompson: a garden fire all the way. 🤣

See the source image

on fire GIF sometimes you just need to.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately there aren't any Santa groups over here.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Unfortunately there aren't any Santa groups over here.

Well Rob, maybe this is the time to start something like this over there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there's your sign GIF

@Rob Thompson maybe this is your sign! To get one started.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

there's your sign GIF

@Rob Thompson maybe this is your sign! To get one started.

You know, I once seen this happen in real life the poor lads face was a total mess

  • Wow 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

You know, I once seen this happen in real life the poor lads face was a total mess

Well I don't want you to have a messed up face, just trying to provide inspiration.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Well I don't want you to have a messed up face, just trying to provide inspiration.

My face is already messed up, mind you not as bad as Craig's lol :)

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

My face is already messed up, mind you not as bad as Craig's lol :)

I wear a permanent face covering because I care about others. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

I wear a permanent face covering because I care about others. 

........and remove it at Halloween  lol :) 

  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to wonder if this wasn't just some guy who was willing to put on the suit because he didn't have anything better to do. These are the most dangerous Santa's I have experienced; they really don't care about how they represent either Santa or themselves. I'm sorry this happened, but sometimes you get what you pay for. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Grandpa Gus said:

I have to wonder if this wasn't just some guy who was willing to put on the suit because he didn't have anything better to do. These are the most dangerous Santa's I have experienced; they really don't care about how they represent either Santa or themselves. I'm sorry this happened, but sometimes you get what you pay for. 

Thats what I wondered Gus, it doesn't seem from what the article says, eg Its a children's Club that it is profit making, so it may well be the case he volunteered, or was volunteered, either way, some common sense should have prevailed

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

some common sense should have prevailed

The "photographer" taking this photo has an enormous responsibility as well. When does the "documenter" accept responsibility for their actions? Not EVERYTHING has to be recorded! That child not only deserved a better Santa, but also needed a more discerning camera operator. This whole episode could have been avoided if the person taking the picture had exercised some good judgement, and leadership. (But then we wouldn't have this thread would we?)

Edited by Santa Craig Maxwell
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

The "photographer" taking this photo has an enormous responsibility as well. When does the "documenter" accept responsibility for their actions? Not EVERYTHING has to be recorded! That child not only deserved a better Santa, but also needed a more discerning camera operator. This whole episode could have been avoided if the person taking the picture had exercised some good judgement, and leadership. (But then we wouldn't have this thread would we?)

Exactly. Then again, a lot of adults are dumb where Santa's concerned. They don't care if Santa looks and acts like a bum who reeks of liquor, smokes a pack a day, and has a cheap costume from Walley World. Why? They simply don't care. This photographer should've taken a good look at Santa (his wardrobe and his actions) before he or she allowed him to sit down with children. They (not a lot of adults do this) bring shame on themselves and, even worse, the saint-like image of Santa Claus with their antics.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

The "photographer" taking this photo has an enormous responsibility as well. When does the "documenter" accept responsibility for their actions? Not EVERYTHING has to be recorded! That child not only deserved a better Santa, but also needed a more discerning camera operator. This whole episode could have been avoided if the person taking the picture had exercised some good judgement, and leadership. (But then we wouldn't have this thread would we?)

I think perhaps this was taken by the parent as most Grotto's do not have a photographer working with them over here, it is the exception. :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

I think perhaps this was taken by the parent as most Grotto's do not have a photographer working with them over here, it is the exception. :) 

Here all this time, I was thinking this was you in your grotto, with your photographer, and customer. 😜

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Here all this time, I was thinking this was you in your grotto, with your photographer, and customer. 😜

Ya cheeky g*t lol

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Here all this time, I was thinking this was you in your grotto, with your photographer, and customer. 😜

Ive looked at your profile picture Craig and you couldnt bend wire that shape :) 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This brings to my mind that even when we are not portraying Santa, we need to be careful. Just as the photographer caught this Santa being less than what he should be, we need to be mindful of our actions whenever we are out. I have seen fellow Santa's drinking while in public (walking down the main street of town with a stein of beer) after he had " clocked off ", I have seen a Santa at a local park smoking while watching the kids, (if I hadn't seen him come into the park with what appeared to be a grandchild, I would have been worried). Even though the rules at the park prohibit smoking or vaping. When we grow a white beard and look like Santa whether we want to be or not, we need to hold ourselves to a different standard. Just my thoughts, hope you all are well and getting mentally ready for the next season.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Grandpa Gus said:

This brings to my mind that even when we are not portraying Santa, we need to be careful. Just as the photographer caught this Santa being less than what he should be, we need to be mindful of our actions whenever we are out. I have seen fellow Santa's drinking while in public (walking down the main street of town with a stein of beer) after he had " clocked off ", I have seen a Santa at a local park smoking while watching the kids, (if I hadn't seen him come into the park with what appeared to be a grandchild, I would have been worried). Even though the rules at the park prohibit smoking or vaping. When we grow a white beard and look like Santa whether we want to be or not, we need to hold ourselves to a different standard. Just my thoughts, hope you all are well and getting mentally ready for the next season.

Dead right Gus.

For my part I only ever take part in smoking, drinking and general debauchery  in the confines of my own home, I have standards.

Well, when I say my own home I mean a shed in the garden as Jude evicted me last time lol :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grandpa Gus said:

When we grow a white beard and look like Santa whether we want to be or not, we need to hold ourselves to a different standard.

3 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Dead right Gus.

Exactly. Portraying Santa comes with higher standards.

3 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

For my part I only ever take part in smoking, drinking and general debauchery  in the confines of my own home, I have standards.

Well, when I say my own home I mean a shed in the garden as Jude evicted me last time lol :) 

Rob, you're killing me, man. 🤣

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sundblom Santa said:

Exactly. Portraying Santa comes with higher standards.

Rob, you're killing me, man. 🤣

I do my best lol :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 6:48 AM, Rob Thompson said:

A bit out of date but worth the read!

Girl traumatised by ‘bad Santa’ caught smoking in public and slurring his words
‘There was no effort in his voice. Nothing to resemble Santa at all’

Source; The Independent

By: Douglass Whitbread

Date : Dec 2021

A mother has said her daughter was left traumatised by a “Bad Santa” who was caught smoking in public and slurring his words during a meet and greet with kids.

bad-santa-a-mum-762254.jpg?quality=75&wi

Charli Lewis, 26, said she felt “let down” by the festive experience at a children’s club in Radcliffe, Greater Manchester, which had left little Layla, six, with “a lot of questions”.

Her concerns were first raised when she arrived at the venue and saw the father Christmas impersonator “smoking a cigarette” in full view of children.

Later, when the event’s organiser asked him to return to his “grotto”, she said the Santa seemed bewildered and replied that he didn’t know where it was.


Once Layla finally had managed to meet to the Father Christmas, Ms Lewis said he appeared “slumped on the couch” and had made no effort to be festive.

“There was no effort in his voice. Nothing to resemble Santa at all.”

“I felt I had let her down as a mother.”

Ms Lewis said she took Layla to see Father Christmas at Radcliffe Girls and Boys Club on Saturday 27 November as a last-minute decision to get into the festive spirit.

She said: “It was a last-minute decision. We just took her down to get her into the Christmas spirit, basically.

“It was shared on Facebook, so I just thought I’d give it a try.

However, Ms Lewis began to notice some red flags as soon as she arrived in the car park of the venue where the meet would take place.

She said: “We arrived in the car park, an he was smoking a cigarette in full view with his bird around his neck.

“I just tried to stall Layla in the car and make it a little bit longer, so she didn’t see.

“But she did say, “Oh, look there’s Santa.”

“I don’t know whether she saw the cigarette in his mouth.”

Later, Ms Lewis said that the event’s organiser asked the Father Christmas to “go back to his Grotto”, a remark that seemed to leave him confused.

She said: “We followed him in after a little bit, and we were just behind him, and the event’s organiser had said, “Go back to your grotto.”

“He replied he’d forgotten where it was.”

Once inside the grotto, she said that the Santa appeared “slumped” in his chair and wasn’t getting into the festive spirit.

She said: “He was just slumped on the couch. He wasn’t being cheery at all.

“There was no effort in his voice. Nothing to resemble Santa at all.”

Ms Lewis said that Layla was left with a “lot of questions” following the meeting.

She said: “She’s quite a nervous child, so she sat there happily and took it, but once we left, she had a lot of questions in the car.

“She said that she knew that wasn’t the real Santa, stuff like that.

“Children don’t get long to believe in Santa, which is why it’s so important for them to have a good experience, but this Santa didn’t act like Santa at all.”

Laura De-Foe, who organised the event, described their Santa as a “great and gentle man”.

She said: “He would never knowingly make a child uncomfortable, and several other children left feeling very happy and told us we had done a good job and that they would come again.”

In her free time, Layla works with Radcliffe Litter Pickers, and fellow volunteers have now paid for a trip to Santa’s Grotto at Radcliffe Christmas Markets.

 

This just breaks my heart.  Our job is to bring joy to children and truly listen to them. 

My best time of the year is November and December when the children are all hyped up for Christmas.  When I go out shopping or out to dinner, I wear a Red felt jacket that was presented to me by my Boy Scout Troop.  It is just plain Red, but it really makes me stand out more than ever.  I always have my jacket pocket filled with the big candy canes and my wife following closely with a purse full.  I will have kids following me around and even grandparents wanting a picture or to just talk.

I always get down to the children’s eye level and talk to them.  Does not matter if I am in the middle of an isle or not, nothing else matters at that moment.  The look in their eyes when you take the time to listen to them and have a conversation just melts my heart.  At that time there is nothing I enjoy more in life.  My wife inspires me to do more, she said that I remind her of Tim Allen sitting in the park and all the children gathering around.  I get asked are you Santa all the time by children. 

If this is my calling in Life, I have struck Silver and Gold.  LOL

I hope all of us take the time to listen and help make a child’s day.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

  • Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds

Post your pictures and comments here daily!

  • Donations

    All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

    Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

    Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

      Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

      Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

      This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

      By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

      No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

      The 5 Second Rule

      I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
        • Like
      • 13 replies
    • If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

      Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
        • Love
        • Like
      • 30 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
        • Like
      • 9 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
        • Like
      • 3 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

      However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

      Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

      That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
        • Like
      • 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...