Christmas presents could be affected by rail strikes as festive supplies arrive

Rob Thompson

Christmas presents could be affected by rail strikes as festive supplies arrive.

Source - Daily irror

Date - uly 2022

By - Andy Lines

Christmas presents could be affected by the series of rail strikes, it was claimed last night.

Supplies for the festive season are already under way and the walkouts are set to cause logistical problems.

More than 600 freight trains run in the UK every day, carrying billions of pounds of goods such as TVs, clothes and Christmas decorations.

One senior industry figure said: “As the year goes on, freight gets busier, particularly containers, so that’s the big worry.

0_Last-minute-Christmas-shoppers-hit-the

“The China surge will come in –and those ships are sailing now.

“It always gets busier into August, particularly when we start seeing Christmas stuff come through.”

Last week, ministers decided to prioritise rail freight over passenger services. They claimed they were trying to ensure supermarkets did not run out of food.

It came as 40,000 rail staff walked out for three days as they demand pay rises and better conditions.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union is now thought to be targeting fresh industrial action at the end of next month.

General Secretary Mick Lynch has been given a mandate from members to continue strikes for up to six months. Meanwhile, Boris Johnson said there was “no point” giving workers inflation-busting pay hikes to ease the cost of living crisis.

• Sad 1
  • Angry 3

Here we go again, the media attempting to panic folk to go out and spend well in advance of Christmas. grrrrr

• Like 3
  • Angry 2

55 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Here we go again, the media attempting to panic folk to go out and spend well in advance of Christmas. grrrrr

And unfortunately, it always works. :sc_doh:

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

1 hour ago, Black River Santa said:

And unfortunately, it always works. :sc_doh:

Yup, sadly. It’s Panic Buying 101 (or maybe I should say Media Spin 101). Of course, panic buying can also lead to price hikes (which we already have a lot of thanks to inflation), which hurts folks at the bottom. And in preparation for Christmas, too. :santa_angry:

• Like 3

At least the one that may happen in the US won’t last very long. As has happened in the past a Federal Judge orders everyone back to work and the dispute will go to Congress now that the PEB has given it’s recommendations.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Warrenton Santa said:

This is truly sad

I dont think the majority of the general public will fall for it there have been far to many scare tactics via the media.

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

I dont think the majority og the general public will fall for it there have been far to many scare tactics via the media.

I dont watch the news at home. only at work  - there is no common sense left in the news media any more. I have more important things to do with my time. However when we punish the children, i got upset

• Like 2
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Warrenton Santa said:

I dont watch the news at home. only at work  - there is no common sense left in the news media any more. I have more important things to do with my time. However when we punish the children, i got upset

Similar with me, I will catch the headlines on the radio, but I dont make an effort to watch it. Too depressing 

• Like 3

Typically I watch for the weather, and THEY GET THAT WRONG ALL THE TIME AS WELL!

Confusion What GIF by Jeff Dunham

SILENCE!!!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Typically I watch for the weather, and THEY GET THAT WRONG ALL THE TIME AS WELL!

Confusion What GIF by Jeff Dunham

SILENCE!!!!!!! 

Let it be known that @Schwindy made me do this:

Making It Up Donald Trump GIF by Jeff Dunham

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Rail strike is still likely here in the US. But it will be too late into the season to impact Christmas. Good thing I’m on vacation for December!

1 minute ago, Dave Vermeulen said:

Rail strike is still likely here in the US. But it will be too late into the season to impact Christmas. Good thing I’m on vacation for December!

We are now set for postal strikes in the run up to Christmas in addition to rail strikes :(

• Angry 1

3 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

We are now set for postal strikes in the run up to Christmas in addition to rail strikes :(

Seems like a UK Postal strike would have a much more immediate impact. Does the UK have anything similar to our Rail Labor Act that governs the rail unions and carriers when it comes to self-help actions?

2 hours ago, Dave Vermeulen said:

Seems like a UK Postal strike would have a much more immediate impact. Does the UK have anything similar to our Rail Labor Act that governs the rail unions and carriers when it comes to self-help actions?

In terms of strike action there is nothing to prevent this. There are some government sectors eg Armed services that are obviously regulated in that sense. It used to include health staff, however I noted last week that the Nurses Union have amended there membership conditions etc which wold now allow nurses et all to take strike action if voted for. Its highly unlikely that this would actually happen, but it is a warning to government that people are reaching their limits in terms of financial restraints, cost of living increases etc

It doesnt bode well and sadly I see  very unstable times ahead.

I will not comment on my own views as this is not the place :) 

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies