Christmas Lights Cancelled

Rob Thompson

Christmas lights cancelled all over country this festive period due to energy crisis

By- Jerry Lawton

Source - Daily Star

Date - 02-09-2022

It could be a dark Christmas indeed across the UK as as citizens, companies and councils cancel fairy lights to combat the cost of living crisis amid rising energy costs.

Britain faces a colourless Christmas as citizens, companies and councils cancel fairy lights to combat the cost of living crisis.

Millions of families plan to leave their lights in the box to save cash as electricity bills rocket. Lavish outdoor better-thy-neighbour displays traditionally seen in villages, towns and cities across the nation face the axe.

Businesses - which are not even protected by soaring energy bill price caps - cannot afford to leave on elaborate decorations.

While councils across the country are scrapping Christmas street displays and festive switch-ons.

A
It could be a long and dark Christmas 
“Will we be able to afford putting up Christmas lights? No?
“The lights are my favourite part. Don’t come for Christmas capitalists. I beg.’’
Sandy Park Road in Brislington, Bristol, Christmas Light switch on, Saturday 27 November 2021

Sandy Park Road in Brislington, Bristol, Christmas Light switch on, Saturday 27 November 2021 

Another said: “Not bothering with a Christmas tree - can’t afford to turn the lights on. Dark days.’’

“No Christmas lights for me this year then #EnergyPriceCap,’’ said one more.

One joker posted an entirely black photo adding: “This is a picture of the UK at night this Christmas as no-one can afford the electricity bills.

“So they’ll be no Christmas lights (except maybe those living in Chequers) 

Shoppers walk among the Christmas lights as shops and businesses in Liverpool
Shoppers walk among the Christmas lights as shops and businesses in Liverpool (Image: Getty Images)

The picturesque Devon beach resort of Budleigh Salterton (corr) looks set to lose its lights due to increased costs.

The Chamber of Commerce used to organise the Christmas display supported by a town council grant.

But chamber chairman Helen Warren has written to the local authority saying: “We no longer feel able to take on the sole responsibility and costs of supporting the Christmas Lights which have escalated year on year.

“This has resulted in the Chamber of Commerce becoming less and less focused on their legitimate role of supporting local businesses and more concerned with making enough money to support the Christmas Lights.

“As a result many businesses question the value of joining the Chamber of Commerce and in difficult economic times post lockdowns during the pandemic we have struggled to maintain and recruit our membership.’’

She called for a steering committee to be set up to try and save the light show but the council voted against the move.

Town clerk Jo Vanstone said the council could not take on the cost of the lights in the current economic climate.

A

Meanwhile Guildford Borough Council has cancelled the Surrey town’s annual Christmas light switch-on saying it cannot `afford or justify’ the money.

One angry local tweeted the move was `depriving the town’s businesses of much needed income’, adding: “No interest in local businesses.’’

City councillors in Ely, Cambs, scrapped its Christmas light switch-on months ago due to soaring costs.

They ruled the £9,000 bill did not provide `best value’ to taxpayers

Bosses of one IT firm said they will leave the fairy lights off at their Christmas party.

”Think everyone should be grateful we can afford a tree,’’ wrote one. "Maybe we can burn it later to heat the office.’’

• Sad 5
  • Angry 1

Well, things just get better! NOT :( 

• Sad 1

This news is really sad to hear.  I'll bet the people will get really creative and something exceptional will come from it!  Keep us up to date on what happens.  

• Like 4

Struggle often causes ingenuity to come forward. There will be something that rises from this to keep the festive part of lighting happening. Even if it is simple candles (which can be so very beautiful) that light the way!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 9/3/2022 at 9:20 PM, Tommy said:

'll bet the people will get really creative and something exceptional will come from it!

41 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Struggle often causes ingenuity to come forward. There will be something that rises from this to keep the festive part of lighting happening. Even if it is simple candles (which can be so very beautiful) that light the way!

I remember back when COVID first happened, a lot of people were putting Christmas lights back up in March for a sign of hope and resilience. Not a bad idea. “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it” (John 1:5).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2022 at 12:53 PM, Santa SteveKl said:

Last year, in an endeavour to cut my electricity bill, I looked at how to decorate in other ways. I noticed that homes looked great at night when lit up, but during the day it was just a tangled mess of wires everywhere you looked.

I decided to make it more Christmasy during the day. I put reflective decorations on all the plants/bushes, I made a 16 foot wreath garland for the front over the window and battery lights on the door wreath.

This year I intend to do another garland for the fence and use more battery lights. The door wreath will hold 4 candles (battery for safety) 1 lit for the 1st Sunday, 2 for the 2nd, 3 for the 3rd and all 4 on Christmas Day.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2022 at 10:56 AM, Cliff Cringle said:

Last year, in an endeavour to cut my electricity bill, I looked at how to decorate in other ways. I noticed that homes looked great at night when lit up, but during the day it was just a tangled mess of wires everywhere you looked.

I decided to make it more Christmasy during the day. I put reflective decorations on all the plants/bushes, I made a 16 foot wreath garland for the front over the window and battery lights on the door wreath.

This year I intend to do another garland for the fence and use more battery lights. The door wreath will hold 4 candles (battery for safety) 1 lit for the 1st Sunday, 2 for the 2nd, 3 for the 3rd and all 4 on Christmas Day.

I think we are only putting two trees up this year. But the house will still look wonderful :)

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 3:58 AM, Rob Thompson said:

Christmas lights cancelled all over country this festive period due to energy crisis

By- Jerry Lawton

Source - Daily Star

Date - 02-09-2022

It could be a dark Christmas indeed across the UK as as citizens, companies and councils cancel fairy lights to combat the cost of living crisis amid rising energy costs.

Britain faces a colourless Christmas as citizens, companies and councils cancel fairy lights to combat the cost of living crisis.

Millions of families plan to leave their lights in the box to save cash as electricity bills rocket. Lavish outdoor better-thy-neighbour displays traditionally seen in villages, towns and cities across the nation face the axe.

Businesses - which are not even protected by soaring energy bill price caps - cannot afford to leave on elaborate decorations.

While councils across the country are scrapping Christmas street displays and festive switch-ons.

A
It could be a long and dark Christmas 
“Will we be able to afford putting up Christmas lights? No?
“The lights are my favourite part. Don’t come for Christmas capitalists. I beg.’’

Another said: “Not bothering with a Christmas tree - can’t afford to turn the lights on. Dark days.’’

“No Christmas lights for me this year then #EnergyPriceCap,’’ said one more.

One joker posted an entirely black photo adding: “This is a picture of the UK at night this Christmas as no-one can afford the electricity bills.

“So they’ll be no Christmas lights (except maybe those living in Chequers) 

Shoppers walk among the Christmas lights as shops and businesses in Liverpool

Shoppers walk among the Christmas lights as shops and businesses in Liverpool (Image: Getty Images)

The picturesque Devon beach resort of Budleigh Salterton (corr) looks set to lose its lights due to increased costs.

The Chamber of Commerce used to organise the Christmas display supported by a town council grant.

But chamber chairman Helen Warren has written to the local authority saying: “We no longer feel able to take on the sole responsibility and costs of supporting the Christmas Lights which have escalated year on year.

“This has resulted in the Chamber of Commerce becoming less and less focused on their legitimate role of supporting local businesses and more concerned with making enough money to support the Christmas Lights.

“As a result many businesses question the value of joining the Chamber of Commerce and in difficult economic times post lockdowns during the pandemic we have struggled to maintain and recruit our membership.’’

She called for a steering committee to be set up to try and save the light show but the council voted against the move.

Town clerk Jo Vanstone said the council could not take on the cost of the lights in the current economic climate.

A

Meanwhile Guildford Borough Council has cancelled the Surrey town’s annual Christmas light switch-on saying it cannot `afford or justify’ the money.

One angry local tweeted the move was `depriving the town’s businesses of much needed income’, adding: “No interest in local businesses.’’

City councillors in Ely, Cambs, scrapped its Christmas light switch-on months ago due to soaring costs.

They ruled the £9,000 bill did not provide `best value’ to taxpayers

Bosses of one IT firm said they will leave the fairy lights off at their Christmas party.

”Think everyone should be grateful we can afford a tree,’’ wrote one. "Maybe we can burn it later to heat the office.’’

You know… it is often in times of want that new and innovating customs and traditions rise. I look forward to seeing the creative ways people visually celebrate when this light situation puts them to the test!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AsaClaus said:

You know… it is often in times of want that new and innovating customs and traditions rise. I look forward to seeing the creative ways people visually celebrate when this light situation puts them to the test!

Me too, perhaps going back to times long ago!

The garden Centre where I am the resident Santa, have built a new cabin and workshops, and also a Christmas garden all lit up etc. However they are using solar powered lights, which I think is quite neat and environmentally friendly even if they have employed this method simply to save money on electricity :) 

• Love 2

Already up and running in Warrington. England.

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies