2022 Turkey Is On the Menu.

Santa Craig Maxwell

Turkey producers are assuring consumers in the U.S.A. that there will be an ample supply of frozen turkeys for the Thanks Giving holiday in November, as well as the Christmas holiday in December. No worries about supply...the price, however, may require some advance planning. A frozen turkey in 2020, cost Americans $2.00 per pound, while a frozen turkey in 2022 will cost Americans $6.50 per pound. Turkey producers say the 2022 cost of frozen turkey reflects current pricing, and should be acceptable to consumers. What do you think? What are your plans for holiday menus? My wife buys our holiday turkey from a local Scout troop fund-raiser, and the price includes a donation to the troop.  Already in our freezer. Ho, Ho, Ho!

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

• Supporter

For the past several years, have only had a frozen turkey breast and not the entire bird.  Only had 2 turkey lovers and they only liked white meat.  The 2-3 lbs that was able to go from frozen to oven with no thawing was the solution for everyone.

• Like 3

The company I work for gives us a gift certificate to offset the cost of a Turkey. So far it has been enough to cover the entire costs in all prior years. I can use that along with some cash of my own if I need to. We also have a local Turkey farm we can go to get white and dark meat at better than store prices, fresher and tastes better. So there is that if all else fails.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

My wife buys our holiday turkey from a local Scout troop fund-raiser, and the price includes a donation to the troop. 

We buy the whole turkey and roast it all at once. If anything is left over, we part it into separate meals and freeze them for later. We make broth out of the bones.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Turkey producers are assuring consumers in the U.S.A. that there will be an ample supply of frozen turkeys for the Thanks Giving holiday in November, as well as the Christmas holiday in December. No worries about supply...the price, however, may require some advance planning. A frozen turkey in 2020, cost Americans $2.00 per pound, while a frozen turkey in 2022 will cost Americans $6.50 per pound. Turkey producers say the 2022 cost of frozen turkey reflects current pricing, and should be acceptable to consumers. What do you think? What are your plans for holiday menus? My wife buys our holiday turkey from a local Scout troop fund-raiser, and the price includes a donation to the troop.  Already in our freezer. Ho, Ho, Ho!

Until you posted this Craig, I had not given the price of a Turkey a second thought. In 2021, the concerns were whether or not there would be any Turkeys available for Christmas, Now its the price!

I love the line, "the 2022 cost of frozen turkey reflects current pricing, and should be acceptable to consumers£. Should it indeed!!!

Im sure as with everything else in the current cost of living crisis, Turkeys will see a ridiculous price hike, in part related to the cost of living, but also taking advantage of the traditional  Christmas dinner.

I will be spending Christmas at home, with Jude my daughter and her partner, and of course, my favourite Christmas and all year round gift, my grandson, the boy :) 

On the menu, Turkey :) :) 

Sadly Gordon the goose will not be visiting this festive season as the fox decided to have its Christmas lunch at Easter :( 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

In 2021, the concerns were whether or not there would be any Turkeys available for Christmas, Now its the price!

Hopefully, whole turkeys will be abundantly available worldwide for anyone wanting to pay the price. Sometimes a family/friend holiday tradition is worth any cost. To decline an undesirable price is the buyer's choice, but to not have the availability at all can be very disheartening. 

• Like 3

We make broth out of the bones

Some of the healthiest eaten right there!!! Getting the bone marrow out of those bones and into the soup! GENIUS SIMPLY GENIUS!!! 

Albert Einstein Vintage GIF by US National Archives

Edited by Schwindy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Schwindy said:

Some of the healthiest eaten right there!!! Getting the bone marrow out of those bones and into the soup! GENIUS SIMPLY GENIUS!!! 

We make broth with the remains of our Turkey, when I say remains, its starts on the Christmas Dinner table, then Turkey sandwiches. On boxing day its turkey with bubble and squeak, then the last of it into a pan for broth.

Good value for money really :) 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

On boxing day its turkey with bubble and squeak

REALLY ROB? I don't even know where to start with asking for definitions. Just break down that sentence word-for-word, please. 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Hopefully, whole turkeys will be abundantly available worldwide for anyone wanting to pay the price. Sometimes a family/friend holiday tradition is worth any cost. To decline an undesirable price is the buyer's choice, but to not have the availability at all can be very disheartening. 

can you please provide the source of your information. I am reading that there is a shortage of birds for this upcoming season

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

REALLY ROB? I don't even know where to start with asking for definitions. Just break down that sentence word-for-word, please. 

Bubble and Squeak is al of the left over vegetables, add a couple of eggs and fry the lot up in a huge pan, plate up with cold turkey  :) 

bubble-and-squeak-egg-photo.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Not to worry.....I have 2 full birds and 2 bone-in breasts in the freezer. Smoked turkey is a family favorite!

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, SantaJoe said:

Not to worry.....I have 2 full birds and 2 bone-in breasts in the freezer. Smoked turkey is a family favorite!

Ive never smoked Turkey at Christmas, I used to smoke cigars but not any more :) :) 

• Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Ive never smoked Turkey at Christmas, I used to smoke cigars but not any more :) :) 

Isn't it hard to keep it lit? (the turkey)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Warrenton Santa said:

can you please provide the source of your information. I am reading that there is a shortage of birds for this upcoming season

I was flipping TV channels, and stopped when I saw an interview with the head of the Butterball Co. He assured his interviewer that Butterball is ready for the holidays with plenty of frozen turkeys. I Googled Butterball in an attempt to  get more info to answer your question, and Walmart comes up on the same page advertising Butterball Turkey in various applications for this years holidays. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Bubble and Squeak is all of the left over vegetables, add a couple of eggs and fry the lot up in a huge pan, plate up with cold turkey  :) 

Wow! Santa Rob...I've got to Google English Cooks living in N.E. Texas...(you think there is such a person?). I gotta have some "Bubble & Squeak", after our Thanks Giving, and Christmas dinners. That dish looks amazing!!! (I'm thinking...drizzle a splattering of Tabasco Sauce over it.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Bubble and Squeak is al of the left over vegetables, add a couple of eggs and fry the lot up in a huge pan, plate up with cold turkey  :) 

bubble-and-squeak-egg-photo.jpg

I’m in, gonna have to try this out this year!!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Warrenton Santa said:

Jandel turkey farms, which is very local here in the Leigh valley and supply a large area of the country with turkeys, has a sign hanging stating that they will be open for thanksgiving and Christmas Turkey sales. But of course NOTHING ABOUT THE INCREASE! 

• Like 2

I’ve been reading this thread, and I believe one of my own long-held suspicions have been confirmed: no matter the weight class, we Santa’s love to eat (and should thank our Mrs. Clauses more often than we sometimes may). :sc_eat:

Only difference is that, in our family, we have a turkey (with all the fixings) for Thanksgiving and bone-in-hams for Christmas and Easter. At the holidays, it’s like “The Battle of the Bulge” for our family. As for what to do with leftovers, I’ve always been partial to homemade turkey-and-waffles in the week after Thanksgiving.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Guess I'm just going to have to pay a price for my turkey this year.  That stated increase is unbelievable.  I guess the turkey farmers faced increased costs in just raising the birds.  

• Like 3

I read through the thread and was surprised no one mentioned deep fried turkey. Friends, if you haven’t tried it do yourself a favor!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Always get a fresh turkey at our local general store/butcher. Great folks and happy to give them the business even if it's a bit more this year (like everything else).

Rambos_Web.jpg.499f264e31c9c32c738605ecdf382ce9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Sundblom Santa said:

we Santa’s love to eat (and should thank our Mrs. Clauses more often than we sometimes may)

Nate, my friend 

I do all the cooking and @ one time I hit the scales @ 305lbs @ 5' 11 3/4" tall and I use to be 6'. I believe my cooking compressed my spine causing me to lose the 1/4" 

:sc_rofl::santa_grin::santa_undecided::santa_grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We take turns cooking or help each other with the meal if a large one. One year we did deep fry a turkey. Wow it was so good!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Santa Shep said:

I read through the thread and was surprised no one mentioned deep fried turkey. Friends, if you haven’t tried it do yourself a favor!

We've had deep fried turkey, and love it. Also, deep fried "Turducken" is amazing. It depends on the weather, because deep frying is best done outdoors. I'm loving all these ideas. 

• Like 3

Fire Hazard Turkey GIF by GIPHY News😂

Definitely best to do outdoors...

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

15 hours ago, Santa Ed K said:

Isn't it hard to keep it lit? (the turkey)

Naw, it's pretty easy once you teach them to inhale. 

• Haha 3

We've had deep fried turkey, and love it. Also, deep fried "Turducken" is amazing. It depends on the weather, because deep frying is best done outdoors. I'm loving all these ideas. 

We use to deep fry them. But I smoked one years ago and it got picked clean. Smoked beat fried. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SantaJoe said:

We use to deep fry them. But I smoked one years ago and it got picked clean. Smoked beat fried. 

I am going to have to try that then. What do you smoke it with-wood types?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

In my experience, Mesquite is wonderful if you can get it, otherwise Hickory. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I always order a fresh turkey from the local butcher, but I also get a frozen turkey as a back up.

Not that the local butcher has ever let me  down, but many years ago I bought a large fresh turkey from Tesco. When I took it out of the wrapper on Christmas morning, the smell was horrendous, the bird was off. 

• Nowhere to get another, I had mentioned it to a friend in the village whilst wishing them well on the telephone as no social media back then, just when we thought the Christmas lunch was a goner, several people in the village turned up with Turkey legs, breast etc
  • My friend had told a few others of the turkey plight ,,, it was the best Christmas lunch ever and great community support :) But ever since then I always have the back up bird
  • (No idea why Im getting these bullet points)?
Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Santa Shep said:

I read through the thread and was surprised no one mentioned deep fried turkey.

3 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Love deep fried turkey and love turducken. I never even thought about combining the two! I’m loving all these ideas. When there’s a Santa convention, we all have to have a giant cookout, or something!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, Santa Shep said:

I have to ask. What is turducken?

Good question Santa Shep; "Turducken" is a turkey, stuffed with a duck, and a chicken, then cooked in any method of choice. It's not fowl, it's amazing!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Good question Santa Shep; "Turducken" is a turkey, stuffed with a duck, and a chicken, then cooked in any method of choice. It's not fowl, it's amazing!

I had to read it twice, as turd means something very different over here! :)  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Hickory grows wild in my neck of the woods. The tree drops a Hickory Nut incased in a thick green pod the size of a golf ball.  We spread a dozen of those pods on the coals, whether grilling, or smoking, and as the pods roast away they add an appetizing Hickory aroma, and flavor to the food.  Mmmmm

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:
42 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

30 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

TOUCHE! Santa Rob, TOUCHE!

7 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Hickory. I always use hickory. I have tried the fruit woods with poultry, but the eaters prefer hickory....pretty mellow and a little sweet.  

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 12:48 PM, Santa SteveKl said:

The company I work for gives us a gift certificate to offset the cost of a Turkey.

For over 30 yrs. our employers gave a frozen turkey to my wife and me every November, as an expression of employee appreciation. We only started purchasing turkeys a few yrs. ago when our grandson began selling them as a fund-raiser for his scout troop. Thus, for 5 yrs we had our Thanks Giving, and Christmas turkey in the freezer without having to shop for them.

On 9/7/2022 at 8:47 PM, Tommy said:

Guess I'm just going to have to pay a price for my turkey this year.  That stated increase is unbelievable.  I guess the turkey farmers faced increased costs in just raising the birds.  

Increased cost of feed is for sure one of the factors turkey farms have faced, Santa Tommy.  The cost I pay for a 50Lb. sack of poultry feed has increased $1.00  every month, for the last 3 months. Today, I paid $2.00 more than last month, for the same sack of feed. 

• Wow 2

Increased cost of feed is for sure one of the factors turkey farms have faced, Santa Tommy.

And the sad thing is, there are some folks out there (not at all saying anyone here) who would blame the turkey farmers for such increases, when, fact is, the price of almost everything’s going up. They have to increase their asking-price (even if just a little) because they have to pay for their own feed, vet bills, etc. The recession is affecting everyone, to one degree or another.

Increased cost of feed is for sure one of the factors turkey farms have faced, Santa Tommy.  The cost I pay for a 50Lb. sack of poultry feed has increased $1.00  every month, for the last 3 months. Today, I paid $2.00 more than last month, for the same sack of feed.

I’ve seen some of this firsthand. On Thursdays, when I’m free, I like to go to a local sale barn in my area (they have a farmer’s market (fruits, vegetables, Amish desserts, even homemade furniture) during the daylight hours and cattle auctions in the evening before sundown). I was talking to a buddy of mine (he’s thinking of getting some chickens) over cups of coffee and peanut butter doughnuts (I just thought I’d mention that), and even the price for chicken supplies have gone up.

Speaking of turkey (and getting back on track), I don’t even want to think about how homeless shelters, women’s shelters, and the like will be affected during the holidays. Life can be hard for a lot of folks. They need our sympathy, especially nowadays.

Edited by Sundblom Santa

1 hour ago, Sundblom Santa said:

homeless shelters, women’s shelters, and the like will be affected during the holidays. Life can be hard for a lot of folks. They need our sympathy, especially nowadays.

Santa, I agree. I truly believe the organizations and individuals who provide the services you mentioned, are driven to serve and charity will find a way, regardless of cost or shortage. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 8:02 PM, Rob Thompson said:

I'll be honest, I was a little concerned myself.😆

• Haha 3

Chicken I guess, we do love the turkey tradition though.

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies