Brits say Christmas will 'never be the same' without Queen's speech after her death

Rob Thompson

Brits say Christmas will 'never be the same' without Queen's speech after her death

Source' Mirror Online

By - Zahna Eklund

Date - 09-09-2022

The death of Queen Elizabeth II will change many aspects of life in the UK - and Brits have now pointed out that one annual holiday will 'never be the same' again.

0_Queens-Christmas-broadcast.jpg

After the sad passing of the Queen yesterday afternoon at Balmoral Castle at the age of 96, the country has begun a period of national mourning, and many Brits have been using the time to reflect on all the things Her Majesty had been involved in, which will now have to change as her son, Charles, becomes King.

From updating our money to changing postage stamps and the words to our national anthem, the passing of the Queen will impact many aspects of UK life. But as many Brits are pointing out, her death will even mean a huge change at Christmas time - as she will no longer deliver the annual Christmas message.

The Queen's Christmas Message was broadcast at 3pm every Christmas day and over Her Majesty's impressive 70-year reign, it had become a staple part of the day for millions of Brits.

And while the annual speeches will likely continue as the King's Christmas Message under the reign of King Charles, Twitter users have stated they "will never be the same" again.

One person wrote: "Just realised there'll be no Queen’s Christmas day broadcast ever again. It was such a tradition to gather around the TV to watch it."

As another said: "Christmas Day at 3pm will never be the same."

0_Royalty-First-Televised-Queens-Speech.
And many of us can't wrap our heads around life without them ( Image: PA Archive/PA Images)
While a third added: "I'm sure Charles will do a Christmas Day speech. I'm sure he will try to make it similar in tone. I do not think it will be the same."

Others pointed out that the changes to British life that are on the horizon seem "unsettling", while there were more who said that due to the Queen's long reign, they've never experienced life with another monarch - making the changes unprecedented for millions.

Someone wrote: "Singing the new National Anthem feels wrong. Christmas Day won't ever be the same. All our currency and stamps will now change. Small things, but are any other Brits feeling not just how sad this is but how unsettling it is too?"

As someone else wrote: "Ever since I can remember, we all gathered around the TV on Christmas Day to watch the Queen's Speech. So many things will change now."

And all the talk of the Queen's Christmas Message also prompted others to share their memories of gathering around the TV with their families, as they said it was part of tradition in their household.

One said: "Christmas day in the '70s, '80s and '90s was held round my dear Aunty Mary's house. Christmas dinner revolved around the Queen's speech. It was served at 1pm so everything could be cleared away for 3pm and woe for anyone who dared to talk during the speech."

While another posted: "The King's Speech on Christmas Day. That's going to take some getting used to, isn't it? I used to roll my eyes when our nana always made us watch Her Majesty's speech as a child, but now I realise how precious that message really was."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Whilst I have never been a big fan of Royalty, I'm just beginning now to realise some of the things I took for granted in terms of the Queen. The most noticeable will be the Queens speech, 3.00 pm every Christmas day. As one of the people in the above story mentioned, I can also recall being forced to watch it as a child, in silence, with my parents and grandparents.

Although I have a choice now we, as a family still watch it. (How odd) but its part of tour and millions of others, Christmas traditions, like Turkey and stuffing, Christmas day wouldnt be the same! :) 

• Like 2

I've never heard Queen Elizabeth's Annual Christmas Message, but it sounds like an inspiring tradition. I have caught the new King speaking on TV in brief interviews these last few days, and I find him to be very comforting, and reassuring. I hope the King will continue the loved tradition of the 3 pm Christmas Day Message for those who want to hear it. He is a pleasantly articulate speaker, and seems to convey genuine heartfelt commitment to his new responsibility. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

I've never heard Queen Elizabeth's Annual Christmas Message, but it sounds like an inspiring tradition. I have caught the new King speaking on TV in brief interviews these last few days, and I find him to be very comforting, and reassuring. I hope the King will continue the loved tradition of the 3 pm Christmas Day Message for those who want to hear it. He is a pleasantly articulate speaker, and seems to convey genuine heartfelt commitment to his new responsibility. 

I think he will be a good King, and lets face it, he has had a really long apprenticeship! 

He will be making the speech this Christmas afternoon, the tradition began in the 1930's I think, King George V started it

I never realised it was written by Rudyard Kipling!

was once the recipient of a Princes Trust Award in 1979, the trust continues to this day and afford lots of opportunities for young people. I hope his son continues to maintain it :) 

Edited by Rob Thompson

I honestly cannot imagine the impact this will have on so many. She truly was regal in all she did! I never knew about these, but I can imagine it will have an impact like nothing else can. Being Santa over there and bringing the joy of Christmas is going to be a crucial piece of the puzzle this year in ways that cannot be truly spoken! Praying for all over there that have a difficult time ahead!

• Like 1

Well its the Queens funeral today, televised live and I must say its quite an amazing event, 

Pageantry of the highest level

image.jpg

_126769717_mediaitem126769709.jpg

2 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Well its the Queens funeral today, televised live and I must say its quite an amazing event, 

Pageantry of the highest level

The amazing architecture is truly awe inspiring, and the wonderful sounds of the choirs, and bands are indescribable.  Wow! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

The amazing architecture is truly awe inspiring, and the wonderful sounds of the choirs, and bands are indescribable.  Wow! 

Is it televised over there Craig?

Yes the music is fantastic, the fanfares,,,, wow

2 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Is it televised over there Craig?

Yes the music is fantastic, the fanfares,,,, wow

Really Rob?!?!  Yesssssss, Santa Robert the Thompson, of Co. Durham, U.K.  it is almost the only thing on TV. ❤️

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Really Rob?!?!  Yesssssss, Santa Robert the Thompson, of Co. Durham, U.K.  it is almost the only thing on TV. ❤️

We have had very little else on TV since she passed away.  Its now associate programmers, personal accounts an anecdotes which could not be shared when she was alive etc Some of it is really fascinating

I have always admired the queen especially since my mother passed away on sept 19, 1979. she was a role model for Nobles Olige and just for being a good person to others. I think for a lot of folks she represented the mother/grandmother of their respective countries. She will be missed but there is still continuity with the succession, something that even here can not be guarenteed with elected oficials. The Queen is dead, Long live the King

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies