Parents brace for holidays as inflation hits the toy aisle hard

Drosselmeyer

Parents brace for holidays as inflation hits the toy aisle hard

The Toy Insider editor-in-chief on the most notably cost-effecient toys from the "Hot 20 Toy List"

FOX News   Published September 21, 2022 2:55pm EDT

Gaming chair toy

With the holiday season fast approaching and parents anticipating tough price hikes in the toy market, The Toy Insider editor-in-chief Marissa Silva brings the hottest and most cost-efficient toys on the market to "Mornings with Maria."

"We really recommend that consumers build in another 15% or so into your 15%. Now, it may be only working out to about two or three dollars per toy, but if you're buying for a lot of kids, it can add up pretty quickly," Marissa Silva told FOX Business' Maria Bartiromo on Wednesday. 

The Toy Insider revealed its "Hot 20 Toy List" for 2022; a few notable products include the "Level Up Gaming Chair," "Cocomelon Ultimate Learning Bus," and the "Pokémon Trading Card Game: Pokémon Go Elite Trainer Box." According to Silva, the "Level Up Gaming Chair" is "sure to sell out" this winter.

"This is an amazing toy for 18 months and up. But it's a replica sort of these gaming chairs that adults and older kids are playing with when they play their video games. But this is really cute one," Silva continued. "It's really cool, educational and screen-free."

One of the hottest kids programs that has recently taken the world by storm is "Cocomelon." With over 139 billion views on YouTube and 143 million subscribers, Cocoemelon has become the most viewed YouTube channel in the United States, practically ensuring the success of their new toy, "The Cocomelon Ultimate Learning Bus." 

"When you drop in the letter, it recognizes the letter. It'll tell you which one you dropped in. So kids are learning phonics, letters, numbers," the editor-in-chief said. 

Though Americans everywhere are feeling overwhelmed by inflation, the "Hot 20 Toy List" provides consumers with highly regarded yet cost-effective toys for the 2022 holiday season.  

For more information on where to find the most sought-after toys ahead of this holiday season, visit The Toy Insider's Holiday Gift Guide on their website. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1

• Supporter

Many moons ago when my children were young, I purchased one of the "Highly Sort After" toys and my kids sort of cared less.  Anyone else remember when you purchased a item, and they were more interested in the box?  Or it was their favorite until after New Years day, when it started being just forgotten about?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TamaleClaus said:

Many moons ago when my children were young, I purchased one of the "Highly Sort After" toys and my kids sort of cared less.  Anyone else remember when you purchased a item, and they were more interested in the box?  Or it was their favorite until after New Years day, when it started being just forgotten about?

My boys had similar issues, so i understand where you are coming from. However, we learned to go after toys that they actually loved to play with regardless of what was popular and they enjoyed them more. Sure they got many of the popular ones, but they enjoyed what they got and to this day thank us for how we raised them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TamaleClaus said:

Anyone else remember when you purchased a item, and they were more interested in the box?

Too funny! I’d probably guess that (as far as children’s behavior) has to do with imaginary play/pretending.

Funny story: as far as Santa portrayal goes, I was apparently (and I have the photos to prove it) bit by the bug early. I asked for a Santa suit (child-size) for my birthday (I think I must’ve been four or five) and pretended a cardboard box (or the couch) was a chimney. As long as I didn’t slide down the bannister, my good, old-fashioned mother was like, “Eh, he’ll be fine . . . He’s probably fine.” 🤣 Heck, I even lined up chairs and pretended they were Santa’s reindeer and sleigh (like Charlie in The Santa Clause).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Santa SteveKl said:

My boys had similar issues, so i understand where you are coming from. However, we learned to go after toys that they actually loved to play with regardless of what was popular and they enjoyed them more. Sure they got many of the popular ones, but they enjoyed what they got and to this day thank us for how we raised them.

Exactly! Of course, I think a lot of it goes back to (and I mean this as a general statement), you gotta know your kids. Whether that’s with toys, activities and interests, or discipline, or anything else. There’s no one-size-fits-all as far as kids are concerned. All children are individuals and God makes each child unique.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to change what I ask children from " what do you want for Christmas, to what do you wish for this Christmas".

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The gite is on over here this year, particularly for those on a limited income. Even the Charities are straggling this year to meet the demand  at food banks etc, Christmas is going to be a real challenge for so many this year. God bless  :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Grandpa Gus said:

I think I'm going to change what I ask children from " what do you want for Christmas, to what do you wish for this Christmas".

I always tell the children when I visit, REMEMBER it's a "WISH LIST" learned that here on CN and have been using it EVER SINCE, & I KNOW the parents are appreciative as they mouth "THANK YOU" or tell me about it after our visit happens. 

4 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

The gite is on over here this year, particularly for those on a limited income. Even the Charities are straggling this year to meet the demand  at food banks etc, Christmas is going to be a real challenge for so many this year. God bless  :)

Yes I know that the neighbor helps with his company, they run a pretty big Christmas donation center. From T4T and food drop offs, he's constantly gathering and delivering all drop offs to the rightful places. He told me LAST year was bad and he's worried about this year being worst. I think we can all say, Yea I seen this coming. & around this neck of the woods the gas is slowly climbing!! That's the biggest problem, moving anything anyway all takes gasoline one way or another, IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S GONNA GET UGLY!!! :santa_cry: I pray that I'm wrong, but I just don't see it going any other way for everyone.🙏🏼  

• Like 1

I work for an outdoor retailer, I probably shouldn't name the company even though it is a good one.   We are beginning to see the arrival of Christmas products.  We do sell some ride-on toys for children, but the price tags this year begin at $499 and go up, makes me wonder if people will actually buy some of these items this year. 

I've seen prices for our apparel items increase as well.  $60 for a hoodie is expensive in my book.  Now, there are less expensive items, but many people want the name brands which are $$ this year.  Just as a side note, our store  misses our projected sales goal most days.  The weekends are pretty good in terms of sales, but as inflation continues and if gas prices go back up, it makes me wonder how the Christmas season will end up.  Maybe this is the year people learn, "Christmas doesn't come from a store wrapped in boxes with bows.  Perhaps, it means a little bit more."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JimBoone said:

I really like the What do you wish for, will use that this season

I always ask children what would they like rather than what do they want. I also inform them that I never promise to bring the things they would like but I will always do my best.  

This always goes down well with the children and I know the parents are happy with this response as it can take a bit of the pressure off them :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes, what I have found is that children want "the most popular toy of the year" is for the sake of their own popularity. It gives them a chance to be one up one on children who were not able to receive that gift. Too often I have learned that the most wanted or the most popular toy of the year is the hit on Christmas morning but begins to lose its shine very quickly after that. When presenting myself as Santa, I now ask what would you wish for Christmas. And I try to tell them that Santa will try to make their wish come true. But I never tell them that they will get what they wish for, because sometimes parents just don't have the means to get what they have asked Santa for. Or the gift just might not be the right thing for that child, you don't give a child a fishing rod when they live in a dessert. The one thing that as Santa I always try to leave with a child is a sense of hope, that they will receive something they will enjoy. This brings to mind of one Christmas a few years ago. I met a woman whose husband had left her and his children. Now when I met her and her children, the youngest girl looked at me and asked if Santa could bring her a Christmas tree. I wasn't even wearing red that day. But I knew where I could get a tree and stand, mom told me that they had decorations for the tree, just not money for a tree. So, a week before Christmas I delivered the tree and stand and set it up and left before the children got home from school and left. From what I heard later; it was the best Christmas her little girl had since her father left. Not the most popular toy, but the best gift she received. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...

312907842_612256774024994_20554827795112

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 10/21/2022 at 11:33 AM, Grandpa Gus said:

From what I heard later; it was the best Christmas her little girl had since her father left. Not the most popular toy, but the best gift she received. 

@Grandpa Gus
YOU'VE DONE WELL MY FRIEND!!
YOU'VE DONE VERY, VERY WELL!!! 

• Love 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies