Santa association responds to Attleborough Christmas row

Rob Thompson

Santa association responds to Attleborough Christmas row

By Casey Cooper-Fiske

Source - Eastern Daily Express

Date 17-11-2022

“You’re both on the naughty list!” That was the message from the big man himself to two rival Norfolk Santas.

16168670.jpg?type=mds-article-962
The festive feud began when two members of the International Brotherhood of Real Bearded Santas (IBRBS) fell out.

Accusations over copycat outfits and attempts to close down one anothers' grottos have been flying in Attleborough.

Mitchell Scott and Jonathan Lewis' argument began when Mr Scott turned down the role at the town's Christmas fair which is run by Mr Lewis' daughter. So Mr Lewis decided to take up the job himself.

Mr Scott then accused Mr Lewis of going to the same seamstress for his outfit and even attempting to stop him from working in his grotto at Pride Homecare.

But now the IBRBS - based in Phoenix, Arizona in the USA - has responded saying each Father Christmas will be receiving a notice with "an explanation of why this kind of dust-up is not appropriate".

The brotherhood said the "trivial disagreement" between the two of them was "something they should avoid".

Chief IBRBS Santa, Stephen Arnold, who plays Saint Nick at Elvis' Graceland home, said contrary to previous reports there was no written rule around two Santas appearing in the same place.

But he added it was common courtesy for Father Christmases to avoid being seen together regardless of whether they are in costume due to their distinguishable beards.

He said: "Santa Lewis joined our organisation in October 2022 and Santa Scott joined our organisation only seven days ago.

"Both are very new with us. We do have a list of tenets to which members must affirm they have read and agreed to.

"Perhaps this mild territorial dispute might be considered a violation of our last tenet regarding bringing embarrassment to the Christmas community."

Unless two events are in such close proximity that someone attending the one event and seeing Santa can look at another event and see the other performer without straining the chief Santa said there were no issues.

But with regards to costume copying, Mr Arnold said while the suit did not make the Santa, any Father Christmas "would feel a bit peeved" if they found their seamstress had provided another performer with an outfit "indistinguishable from our own".

He added: "Mr Scott with more than six years of experience should know better and Mr Lewis having only started might not be aware of common courtesy proffered within our community.  

"I will touch base with both of them."

• Wow 2

Sounds like these guys need to read the Santa Claus Oath!

Edited by Santa SteveKl
  • Like 2

First: copycat outfits? Maybe Mr. Scott and Mr. Lewis have to be brought up to speed on the basics of Santa’s wardrobe. Secondly, and more importantly, each of those men should read and carefully consider each of the points in the Santa Claus Oath. For one thing: “I realize that I belong to a brotherhood and will be supportive, honest, and show fellowship to my peers.” And I that’s a lesson for all of us. There’s no “ego” in Santa Claus, because he enters through the heart.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

Sounds like these guys need to read the Santa Claus Oath!

Not only that they really do need t grow up, most probably ego and perhaps dollar motivated,

I mean would you really demean yourself and Santa in that way, very sad and embarrassing towards all Santa;s,

It is so disappointing to see this.

Hopefully this will blow over and lessons are  learned

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Not only that they really do need t grow up, most probably ego and perhaps dollar motivated,

I mean would you really demean yourself and Santa in that way, very sad and embarrassing towards all Santa;s,

It is so disappointing to see this.

Hopefully this will blow over and lessons are  learned

I know. Back in the mid-2000’s the “Santa wars” (dubbed so by American media outlets) occurred. If the Santa community can survive that (it’s still seared into my memory after all these years), then we can survive anything.

37 minutes ago, Santa Timothy SC said:

Sad ... not Santa like!

Exactly. And a friendly reminder, although all of us know: “Santa” means “saint” (and hence the portrayer should have saintly behavior).

2 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Santa Rob, be very careful...when they see you they will really be jealous, and envious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:
3 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Santa Rob, be very careful...when they see you they will really be jealous, and envious. 

Rob’s a class act, so hopefully, if anyone can get through to those two men, it could be him. Who knows? Maybe Rob can convince them to join ClausNet and learn from the brotherhood.

• Like 2

I see a lot more of this type of attitude in the Facebook groups. I’ve left all but one or two of them because I couldn’t stand the egos. 

The caption that was the last straw for me was something like “I often hear that I am the greatest Santa Claus in modern times by many families.” Yeah? Is that so? My grandmother also said I’m the most handsome man every time she saw me but I think she was a little biased. 😂

Also, the idea of copying other Santas wasn’t on my radar until this week (I’m new). I understood the difference in issue with the custom Santa hat mimicry and sales that was posted about this past week but I didn’t think anyone was worried about dressing like another Santa. I rather thought that looking like the next guy in red was the point. So much nuance to navigate!

• Like 2

I really dont think you can copyright Santa and his appearance and if its possible I'll do my own thing! :) 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sundblom Santa said:

Rob’s a class act, so hopefully, if anyone can get through to those two men, it could be him. Who knows? Maybe Rob can convince them to join ClausNet and learn from the brotherhood.

I hope so! Silly people.

We have a saying over here, not sure if have it too?

'Theres nothing as strange as people' !!

• Haha 1

The oddest part is you can go to just one place and buy a suit, then someone else happens to go to the same place and buy the same style suit and... you both look a like. Definitely to much ego going on here and to much focus on money.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

The oddest part is you can go to just one place and buy a suit, then someone else happens to go to the same place and buy the same style suit and... you both look a like. Definitely to much ego going on here and to much focus on money.

Exactly. I do know from chatting with @Santa Johnny Boy he mentioned, and I think Im correct, that Maceys are extremely protective of their suit designs, Im not sure if they can be copyrighted though?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Of course they will lol :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Santa SteveKl said:

1 hour ago, Rob Thompson said:

Of course they will lol :) 

Exactly. As an example, a lot of us have suits from Santa & Co., LLC (Sam Militello). We don’t always look so different. For another example, while I’m one of only a handful (that I know) of Santa’s who wear green gloves, there are at least a few others out there who do the same. Who cares? As long as you make the children happy—isn’t that the point? 😊

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Sundblom Santa said:

Exactly. As an example, a lot of us have suits from Santa & Co., LLC (Sam Militello). We don’t always look so different. For another example, while I’m one of only a handful (that I know) of Santa’s who wear green gloves, there are at least a few others out there who do the same. Who cares? As long as you make the children happy—isn’t that the point? 😊

Wearing green gloves like you!  How very dare they lol :) 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rob Thompson said:

Wearing green gloves like you!  How very dare they lol :) 

Exactly. Some people get so bent out of shape thinking things like that. Personally, I think more Santa’s should try green gloves. They’re distinctive. Take that ya white glove wearers (LOL). :santa_smiley:

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Sundblom Santa said:

Exactly. Some people get so bent out of shape thinking things like that. Personally, I think more Santa’s should try green gloves. They’re distinctive. Take that ya white glove wearers (LOL). :santa_smiley:

I have a pair green leather gloves Ive not worn , perhaps they need a 'hand' out of my Santa bag lol :)

• Like 2

• Supporter
9 minutes ago, Sundblom Santa said:

I think more Santa’s should try green gloves. Take that ya white glove wearers (LOL). :santa_smiley:

White gloves VS Green gloves.  Real beards VS Traditional breads.  Cola suit VS Traditional suit

Everyone go to their corners, face the wall with your nose in the circle  :sc_rofl:

Edited by TamaleClaus
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, TamaleClaus said:

Everyone go to their corners, face the wall with your nose in the circle  :sc_rofl:

OK, fine, we’ll all go to our respective corners . . . while everyone knows I’m right (LOL)! :sc_laugh:

Edited by Sundblom Santa

5 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

I have a pair green leather gloves Ive not worn , perhaps they need a 'hand' out of my Santa bag lol :)

Your Elves have my personal address, so have'em ship those fine English Leather Green Gloves to me and I'll be honored to mesmerize the spirited children of rural N.E. TX. with them. English Leather Green Mittens would be preferable but beggars can't be choosers, or so they say...but that discussion's for another thread, isn't it? ...Seriously, I prefer the look of mittens. I love red, and green but it depends on what you are doing with your hands. In photos, especially non-studio quality, red and green can just look black, which defeats the purpose. Sometimes, if green doesn't photograph as black it has to be Grinch Slime Green, which doesn't translate as beautifully as that wonderful English Forest Green. Did I say any of that out loud, Santa Robbie Th' Thompson? What' do I know anyway?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Santa Craig Maxwell said:

Your Elves have my personal address, so have'em ship those fine English Leather Green Gloves to me and I'll be honored to mesmerize the spirited children of rural N.E. TX. with them. English Leather Green Mittens would be preferable but beggars can't be choosers, or so they say...but that discussion's for another thread, isn't it? ...Seriously, I prefer the look of mittens. I love red, and green but it depends on what you are doing with your hands. In photos, especially non-studio quality, red and green can just look black, which defeats the purpose. Sometimes, if green doesn't photograph as black it has to be Grinch Slime Green, which doesn't translate as beautifully as that wonderful English Forest Green. Did I say any of that out loud, Santa Robbie Th' Thompson? What' do I know anyway?  

I didnt understand a word of it lol :) 

• Haha 2

On the topic of green gloves (how we got there is anyone’s guess . . . :sc_rofl:), Leather Mystics makes a really nice looking pair of green leather gauntlet gloves if anyone’s interested. Here: https://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets/gauntlets.html. I may have to try out a pair. They look surprisingly well made.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sundblom Santa said:

On the topic of green gloves (how we got there is anyone’s guess . . . :sc_rofl:), Leather Mystics makes a really nice looking pair of green leather gauntlet gloves if anyone’s interested. Here: https://www.leathermystics.com/gauntlets/gauntlets.html. I may have to try out a pair. They look surprisingly well made.

I understand Kermit wears them too :) 

But,by way of keeping this post  on track these may be better lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZW-JOxReA5NAEs6QNVd1

• Haha 2

On 11/19/2022 at 2:16 PM, Sundblom Santa said:

Thanks for the post. I've been considering this type of glove....

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies