Will Ferrell on why he feared Elf would be his last movie

Rob Thompson

Will Ferrell on why he feared Elf would be his last movie - and having fun twisting a Dickens Christmas classic with Ryan Reynolds in new film Spirited

By - Claire Gregory

Date - 16-11-2020

Source - Sky News

Spirited is a musical adaptation of the classic Dickens story A Christmas Carol starring Will Ferrell as the ghost of Christmas present, Octavia Spencer as his love interest, and Ryan Reynolds as the unscrupulous head of a PR firm.

skynews-ryan-reynolds-will-ferrell_59692

Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell star in new Christmas musical comedy, Spirited. Pic: Apple TV+
Why you can trust Sky News
Christmas is just around the corner, and it is time to get into the "spirit" of the season with festive films!

Will Ferrell and Octavia Spencer spoke to Sky News about their new film, Spirited, which reinvents Dickens' A Christmas Carol with a modern spin, and also stars Ryan Reynolds.

Spirited is the latest adaptation of the classic Dickens story A Christmas Carol starring Will Ferrell as the ghost of Christmas present and Octavia Spencer as his love interest. But Ferrell told Sky News it's a version of the story we've not seen before.

He said: "Sean Anders and John Morris, our writer and director team - Sean always has loved A Christmas Carol and he watches it every year, but they were talking about it and they said, 'Oh, wouldn't it be interesting to see how they planned the haunt every year, like what goes on behind the scenes and wouldn't that be a funny version?'"

Ferrell reckons they wouldn't have been interested if the film hadn't put a new twist on the classic tale

"I think that's the only way we would have done it, it had to be original - the fact that it's a musical, the fact that it's also irreverent… We even call out the fact that there's been so many versions and we make a joke of that," he said.

"All of those elements thrown in there were the reason why we wanted to do this."

It gave Octavia Spencer the chance to do something she doesn't usually
"I got to tell you, Christmas, you know, from October 31st, Halloween to January 2nd, that's my favourite time of year," the actress said.

"So it wasn't hard in the summer in Boston getting in the Christmas spirit because there were Christmas trees and everything everywhere - it was amazing.

"But the thing about our job is very few of us are ever working around Christmas, so it was kind of fun to do a holiday film because I seldom get to do anything around the holiday."

The classic 2003 film Elf was remastered for the supermarket's Christmas advert. 
Will Ferrell enjoys his association with Christmas thanks to his leading role in Elf - which this year has been repurposed for Asda's Christmas advert

"I mean, it is, dare I say, the gift that keeps on giving!" he quipped.

"No, I'm extremely flattered - when I think and talk about Elf and think about from when we shot the movie, and I literally had moments on that set thinking this could be the last movie I ever make in the sense that: 'Oh, is anyone going to think this is funny? Is this just going to be weird? A guy running around as an elf?'

"And to see where it's gone to and how it's become part of the zeitgeist for holidays, whether it's in the States or the UK, it's incredible."

"Oh, I mean, they're both exciting times, right? There's colourful costumes… That's a hard decision," he said.

"I don't know, that's Sophie's Choice."

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies
Ă—
Ă—