'Baby, It's Cold Outside': The song's origins, controversial interpretations and what it means for dating

Drosselmeyer

**sigh**   here we go again . . . .

'Baby, It's Cold Outside': The song's origins, controversial interpretations and what it means for dating

FOX NEWS     Published December 24, 2022 5:15pm EST

A deep dive into the Christmas classic and the debate about its lyrics — music and mental health professionals weigh in

GettyImages-1137191638-full.png?ve=1&tl=

Four years after social media debate around the Christmas song "Baby, It’s Cold Outside" led to the tune’s paused radio play at select stations, the song still seems to be interpreted differently by listeners.

Broadway songwriter Frank Loesser penned the 78-year-old song. It made its unplanned silver screen debut in 1949 with "Neptune’s Daughter," a romantic comedy musical released by MGM Studios, according to leading actress Esther Williams.

"Baby, It’s Cold Outside" replaced the song "I'd Love to Get You (On a Slow Boat to China)," another song Loesser purposely wrote for "Neptune’s Daughter." But that song didn’t pass MGM censors because it was deemed too suggestive, Williams told The New York Times in 1999.

"Neptune’s Daughter" makes no references to Christmas and instead follows the story of two sisters who fall in love with a polo player and masseur, respectively; but "Baby, It’s Cold Outside" went on to become a Christmas classic after winning an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1950.

The duet has been recreated and performed by countless fans over the decades. Approximately 475 professional renditions exist, according to SecondHandSongs, an online song cover database.

Despite the enduring popularity of "Baby, It’s Cold Outside," the song hasn’t escaped scrutiny.

Pop culture critics, commentators, authors and social activists have questioned whether the song’s lyrics encourage sexual harassment and minimize consent with one half of the duet, "the wolf," insisting that the other, "the mouse," stay the night instead of leaving, according to several reports.

Lyrically, the mouse repeatedly tries to deny and resist the wolf’s advances, though the tonality of the performers seemingly suggests there’s playfulness in the duet.

Critics have argued that the wolf’s insistence and the presence of alcohol are factors that can pressure the mouse and impair her judgment.

Detractors are particularly uncomfortable with the mouse’s questioning line, "Say, what’s in this drink?" in the wake of #MeToo, a social movement against sexual harassment, sexual abuse and rape culture. It gained attention after celebrities and high-profile industry leaders shared their experiences in Hollywood and the labor force.

In 2018, radio stations throughout the U.S. announced that they would refrain from playing "Baby, It’s Cold Outside" after some listeners expressed concerns.

Cleveland radio station Star102 FM/WDOK announced that it had ditched the song after receiving listener feedback, as did Denver radio station KOSI 101.1 and San Francisco radio station KOIT 96.5; but the latter two reversed their decisions after polling listeners on social media, according to several reports.

Read the rest here:     https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/baby-its-cold-outside-songs-origins-controversial-interpretations-what-means-dating

I do think the pushiness and the line “say what’s in this drink?” are exactly what detractors think it to mean.

I think being pushy and making light of practices we consider abhorrent now were just a difference of the times. 

Does that mean I listen to it less? No. It’s a good song and it’s just a song—I don’t bring the weight of every lyric into my enjoyment of it.

It wouldn’t be the first song nor the last that I enjoy that has dark or less than savory undertones. The song “Me vs. Maradona vs. Elvis” by the band Brand New is a song released in 2003 that is precisely about the same pushiness with women and alcohol.

It’s an amazing song with amazing lyrics and yeah it makes me feel uneasy but that’s the point. Not everything has to be about the best side of humanity.  

Edited by SantaTommy

Don't Tread On Me...or my music.

• Like 2

Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Maybe one day, 
Things will make sense?
Maybe ONE DAY 

• Like 2

• Supporter
8 hours ago, Schwindy said:

Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Maybe one day, 
Things will make sense?
Maybe ONE DAY 

Agree, the day Lucy let's him kick it, it will make sense

• Love 1

People really have to lighten up. The song absolutely does not have anything whatsoever to do with abuse. It’s just a Christmas song (meant to be sung by a couple, or a man and a woman, as a duet)—nothing more.

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 1

Nowt wrong with the song, like others have said, its not dark or abusive. Im sure if one wanted to, you could spin the lyrics in any direction your mind chose too 

I choose to simply enjoy what is a Christmas classic. :) 

• Like 1

If we are going to go after something like this, then we need to remove every nursery rhyme. Take the time to listen to and read the lines to many famous nursery rhymes.  The bow breaks, and baby will fall- isn't this child abuse letting you child be in a crib or carriage where it breaks and the child falls. Then  there is Hansel and Gretel where the witch tries to shove kids into a stove to cook them. Humpty Dumpty and his big fall, I know kids that tried to do this themselves. Does that mean the parents are guilty of child abuse. No it is just a nursery rhyme meant to help with remembering and reciting in kids. London Bridge is Falling down is a reference to a bridge being destroyed in London. Should that be removed so people are not afraid of a bridge collapsing that they travel on? What's in this drink could easily be asking or referring to the recipe of the cider or hot chocolate being consumed. If you want to find something wrong you can with anything. Often it is how you look at something unfortunately, some try to find things that are not really there.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Santa SteveKl said:

If we are going to go after something like this, then we need to remove every nursery rhyme. Take the time to listen to and read the lines to many famous nursery rhymes.  The bow breaks, and baby will fall- isn't this child abuse letting you child be in a crib or carriage where it breaks and the child falls. Then  there is Hansel and Gretel where the witch tries to shove kids into a stove to cook them. Humpty Dumpty and his big fall, I know kids that tried to do this themselves. Does that mean the parents are guilty of child abuse. No it is just a nursery rhyme meant to help with remembering and reciting in kids. London Bridge is Falling down is a reference to a bridge being destroyed in London. Should that be removed so people are not afraid of a bridge collapsing that they travel on? What's in this drink could easily be asking or referring to the recipe of the cider or hot chocolate being consumed. If you want to find something wrong you can with anything. Often it is how you look at something unfortunately, some try to find things that are not really there.

Going down that route, "Little Jack Horner" (eating his Christmas pie) could easily refer to gluttony! 🤣 But seriously, some folks get bent out of shape for no reason. They're demented. Leave them alone. That's the worst punishment available to them (not to correct them, but to leave them to wallow in their own self-made misery).

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
      • 94 replies