[TOY NEWS] Best Building Blocks for Kids to Enhance Creativity

Elf Hermey

Building blocks are an excellent toy for children of all ages, providing endless opportunities for creative expression, imagination, and problem-solving skills. Playing with blocks can be an excellent way for kids to develop their fine motor skills, spatial awareness, and cognitive abilities, as well as their social and emotional development. If you are looking for the best building blocks for your child, you are in luck. We have researched and tested dozens of building blocks to find the best ones that provide the most value for your money. In this article, we’ll review the top building blocks for kids and how they can enhance creativity.

LEGO Classic Creative Bricks Set

Lego Building Blocks for Kids

LEGO is undoubtedly one of the most popular and well-known building block brands on the market. The LEGO Classic Creative Bricks Set is a great option for kids who are just starting to build and create with blocks. This set comes with 221 pieces of brightly colored bricks, including basic shapes and unique pieces that allow for endless building possibilities. The set also includes building instructions to get your child started, but we recommend that you let your child’s imagination run wild and create their unique designs.

Mega Bloks First Builders Big Building Bag

Mega Blocks

The Mega Bloks First Builders Big Building Bag is an excellent choice for younger children who are just starting to explore building blocks. These blocks are larger than LEGO bricks, making them easier for little hands to grip and manipulate. The set comes with 80 brightly colored blocks and a convenient storage bag, making clean-up and storage easy. This set also provides an excellent opportunity for parents to play with their children and bond over the joy of building.

K’NEX 100 Model Building Set

knex

K’NEX is an excellent choice for older children who are looking for a more complex building experience. The K’NEX 100 Model Building Set comes with over 850 pieces, including rods, connectors, and other unique pieces that allow for endless building possibilities. The set also includes instructions for building 100 different models, including vehicles, animals, and buildings. This set is an excellent choice for kids who are interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields and want to develop their problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.

Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set

Best Building Blocks for Kids to Enhance Creativity

The Melissa & Doug Wooden Building Blocks Set is an excellent choice for parents who want to provide their children with high-quality, durable wooden blocks. These blocks come in various shapes and sizes, including cylinders, rectangles, triangles, and arches. The set includes 60 blocks and comes in a wooden storage crate, making clean-up and storage easy. Wooden blocks are an excellent option for children who prefer a more tactile and sensory experience.

Magna-Tiles Clear Colors 100-Piece Set

The Magna-Tiles Clear Colors 100-Piece Set is a unique building block set that uses magnetism to create 3D structures. These tiles are translucent and come in various shapes, including triangles, squares, and rectangles. The tiles easily connect to one another, allowing for endless building possibilities. This set is an excellent choice for kids who love to explore the properties of magnetism and develop their fine motor skills.

PicassoTiles 100 Piece Set

The PicassoTiles 100 Piece Set is another excellent option for children who love to explore magnetism, at a slightly more affordable price. These blocks are similar to Magna-Tiles but come in bright, bold colors that kids will love. The set includes various shapes, including squares, triangles, and arches. These blocks are also compatible with other magnetic tile brands, providing even more building possibilities.

FAQ

What age range are building blocks suitable for?

Building blocks are suitable for a wide range of ages, from toddlers to adults. Many building block sets are designed specifically for younger children, with larger pieces that are easier to manipulate, while others are designed for older children and adults, with smaller and more complex pieces. It’s important to check the recommended age range for each building block set before purchasing.

How can building blocks enhance my child’s development?

A: Building blocks are an excellent tool for enhancing children’s cognitive development, as they help to develop their spatial awareness, fine motor skills, problem-solving skills, creativity, and imagination. Building with blocks also encourages children to think critically, experiment, and learn through trial and error.

Are building blocks safe for children?

Most building blocks on the market are made from non-toxic materials and are safe for children to play with. However, it’s important to always supervise young children when they are playing with building blocks, and to make sure they do not put small pieces in their mouths. Some building block sets may also come with age recommendations or choking hazard warnings, so it’s important to read the product description carefully before purchasing.

Can building blocks be used to teach math and science concepts?

Yes, building blocks are an excellent tool for teaching math and science concepts, such as geometry, symmetry, and physics. By building with blocks, children can explore concepts such as balance, weight, gravity, and force, and can learn to apply mathematical principles such as measurement and fractions.

Can building blocks be used to encourage social interaction?

Yes, building blocks can be an excellent tool for encouraging social interaction, as children can work together to build structures and solve problems. Building with blocks can also help children develop their communication and collaboration skills, as they learn to share ideas and work together towards a common goal.

In conclusion, building blocks are an excellent toy for kids of all ages, providing endless opportunities for creative expression, imagination, and problem-solving skills. By providing your child with high-quality building blocks, you can help enhance their cognitive abilities and foster their development in a fun and engaging way. Check out these top building block sets on to find the perfect set for your child’s interests and needs, and to help enhance their creativity.

The post Best Building Blocks for Kids to Enhance Creativity appeared first on The Best Toys Guide.

View the full article

• Like 3

Seems like something a lot of children will probably like. From where I sit, a lot of children love simple toys where they can use imagination and pretend (unlike, say, a lot of violent video games, technology, or apps).

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Like 1

Forget kids... Where do I get some of those?!😁

• Haha 1

Lego and the equivalents have been around foreverly and never seem to wain in terms of entertainment for both children and adults.

Another favourite of mine as a child was Meccano, now that was next level

s-l400.jpg

• Like 2

I use to love chemistry sets. The boy on the box was making a clock from a potato, the boy in his bedroom was making a device which would lead to the evacuation of his street!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Cliff Cringle said:

I use to love chemistry sets. The boy on the box was making a clock from a potato, the boy in his bedroom was making a device which would lead to the evacuation of his street!

I'll never forget what my father said when I asked him for a chemistry set for my birthday. He said...

"NO!"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cliff Cringle said:

lol, that was me! The street isnt there now :) 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rob Thompson said:

Lego and the equivalents have been around foreverly and never seem to wain in terms of entertainment for both children and adults.

Another favourite of mine as a child was Meccano, now that was next level

s-l400.jpg

I read that Meccano was introduced in 1901. Huh, I didn't know you were that old!

3 hours ago, Cliff Cringle said:

Somebody (screaming): "Look out! Cliff's making something again!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SantaKurtKyre said:

I'll never forget what my father said when I asked him for a chemistry set for my birthday. He said...

"NO!"

Mr. Kyle: "What did he do?!"

Mrs. Kyle: "Well, he almost burned the house down and set the dog on fire."

Mr. Kyle: "What?!"

Kurt (beams proudly): "It was an experiment!"

Edited by Sundblom Santa
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sundblom Santa said:

Kurt (beams proudly): "It was an experiment!"

My father knew me too well...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sundblom Santa said:

I read that Meccano was introduced in 1901. Huh, I didn't know you were that old!

Older than that,  I  just carry it well :) Indeed I dont have any special diets, medicines or  elixirs which begs the question about Essential oils, Ive never used them so how essential are they lol :)  

Edited by Rob Thompson
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Classic Lego's and the Mega Blocks sine they are not part of some series that you have directions to build a particular thing. For younger I like to see them use their imagination and build what is in their mind. Wooden blocks are also great, they are another toy where children can use their imagination and build castles or towers or what ever they can think of.  Lincoln Logs could be added to this list also, I know my own grandchildren still bring them out when they come to visit. Not too keen on the magnetic blocks though, they're OK for older children, but when younger children or toddlers are around and they tend to taste everything, those blocks wouldn't be my first choice.

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Grandpa Gus said:

I like the Classic Lego's and the Mega Blocks sine they are not part of some series that you have directions to build a particular thing. For younger I like to see them use their imagination and build what is in their mind. Wooden blocks are also great, they are another toy where children can use their imagination and build castles or towers or what ever they can think of.  Lincoln Logs could be added to this list also, I know my own grandchildren still bring them out when they come to visit. Not too keen on the magnetic blocks though, they're OK for older children, but when younger children or toddlers are around and they tend to taste everything, those blocks wouldn't be my first choice.

I loved Lincoln Logs when I was a kid! It's good for children to use their imagination, and not needing to be entertained by an electronic app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa Gus said:

I agree abuot the lego sets with the how to build instructions.

Like most parents and in this instance I fell into it with the Lego Star Wars range. I bought a few for the boy, we did eventually complete them, then he dismantled them and started building his own things, as it should be!  :) 

• Like 1

🎄 COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS

• Days
  • Hours
  • Minutes
  • Seconds
  • Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• 10 Essentials to Being a Better Santa
      Here are some DOs and DON'Ts on being Santa

Treat every child with respect.

Never make fun of a child.

Look into the child’s eyes when you speak to them.

Speak softly. Children are sharing confidences with you.

Acknowledge a child’s requests even if you don’t understand them.

Never promise a toy request to avoid a child’s disappointment.

Never promise a pet. Santas a toymaker and only animals produce pets.

If the child can’t remember their wish list, assure them you know what they want.

Never leave a child wondering if Santa heard their Christmas wishes.

Every child worries about being on Santas “Naughty or Nice List”. Tell each child “You’re on the “Nice List.” It will bring happiness to everyone!   

Santa Lou Knezevich is the creator of the Legendary Santas Mentoring Program
      Contact Santa Lou at: LegendarySantasMentoringProg@gmail.com
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 8 replies
    • How do You Portray Santa?
      Portraying Santa is acting; it is a characterization of a mythical character.

Most of us never think of ourselves as actors, but we are. Certain characteristics of Santa Claus have been handed down from one generation to another. The way we dress and conduct ourselves all follow an established pattern.

Santa Claus is one of the most recognizable characters throughout the world. This came about from the advertising campaign of the Coke Cola Company and the creative painting genius, of Haddon Sundblom. Coke Cola was looking to increase winter sales of its soft drink and hired Sundblom to produce illustrations for prominent magazines. These illustrations appeared during the holiday season from the late 1930s into the early 1970s and set the standard for how Santa should look.

This characterization of Santa with rosy cheeks, a white beard, handlebar mustache plus a red costume trimmed in white fur is the image most everyone has in their minds. Unconsciously people are going to judge you against that image. If your beard isn’t white or you have a soiled suit it will register with the onlooker.

By the way, the majority of Sundblom's paintings depict Santa with a Brown Belt and Brown Boots. Not until his later illustrations did he change the color to Black for these items. Within the past few years many costume companies have offered the Coke Cola Suit and it has become very popular. You can tell it by the large buttons and absence of fur down the front of the jacket.

No matter how you portray Santa, be it home visits, schools, churches, parades, corporate events, malls, hospitals we all make an entrance and an impression! The initial impression we make determines if our client will ask us to return.

The 5 Second Rule

I have a theory: When you enter the presence of your audience you have about 5 seconds to make people believe you are the real Santa.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 18 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 10 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 4 replies
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies