Michael Rielly

This recession, Santa’s still coming to town

Michael Rielly

This recession, Santa’s still coming to town

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Boston Herald

By Laurel J. Sweet

EXCERPT:

It could be a blue Christmas for those who started compiling their gift wish lists before the economic meltdown, but local rent-a-Santas say don’t expect to find them in the red.

“I’m more booked now than I have ever been. I have to turn people away, which I hate to do,” said Walter Finch of East Bridgewater - also known as Mr. Claus - a retired postal-service mechanic who has been shaking his belly and buckling up Santa’s black boots since 1973.

Yes, Virginia, the times may be bleak, but few have sunk so low as to lay off the Big Guy.

941f4fd8d4_Santa_11112008.jpg

Finch, 51, who with Joan “Sam” Kennedy of Bridgewater at his side as Mrs. Claus, hires himself out at Santainma.com to read children stories, deliver puppies and be spied by tots rattling presents under Christmas trees.

Bob Mindte, creator of the national online booking agency SantaForHire.com, has 200 St. Nicks with sleighs gassed up and ready to go - seven in Massachusetts - at $100-plus per hourly ho, ho, ho.

Mindte expects by year’s end his company’s income will have actually grown by at least 10 percent.

Santa may be one industry that’s recession-proof. “Santa Tom” Kliner of British Columbia, Canada, started the Fraternity of International Real Bearded Santas in August and already has 80 members.

“I don’t think Santa will go away,” Kliner said. “Santa’s still a big attraction. If you’ve got a Santa in the mall, it’s going to get people to come.”

SOURCE

SantaCraig

Unless things pick up here I think that this article may be looking at the glass as half full.

I had a pretty decent booking rate going up in Sept and October, more than ever in the past 5 years. However, it has really slowed off. I am advertising inthe local paper since Saturday and only have had 1 call and that was this morning. I sent out some 60 plus brochures to my childs school via a parents list and have not revieved 1 inquiry from any of that as well.

Some of my former clients have booked, but many of them were getting older and the turnaround has finally caught up to me so I was looking for NEW business. I am typically a pestimistic person, the glass is half empty to say. But then again, with the election being over and the gas prices being lower, perhaps things will pick up. There were sure no signs of a recession this past Sunday when I was working at the local Christmas Store. Their sales were up some 50% over last year and in 4 hours of working that sale people were really enjoying the season.

Michael Rielly

Well, for me this will be my busiest season yet. Never before have I had multiple bookings on the same day. I know a lot of you guys are booked 5-10 deep on a single day, but this is huge for me.

I remember my grandfather would have 30 to 40 visits a day. He would spend no more than 20 minutes at each stop. Not sure if I will ever get to that level, but I bet it was a lot of fun!

SantaCraig

Your grandfather must have been worn out. I did 75 home visits last year so 30-40 a day would make for a long season!

Santa TJS

My wife's illness has kept me from advertising with her surgery scheduled for Dec 8th, I did not want to promise to be there and not be able to go. After the 8th when I have an idea of the outcome I will make myself available to the last minute calls. I still will complete my Christmas eve visits even if I have to hire one of my wife cousins limos to get me there.

SantaCraig

TJS Do those limos come in Red?

Santa TJS

Black or white I'M afraid,my wife has been my driver for these many years, I believe she will be restricted until after the new year from driving. I have always had someone drive me wearing the beard and wig does not allow for good periferal vision.

SantaCraig

well hopefully it will work out where you will be able to do more than you expect. Maybe you could hitch a ride with the real Mr. C :-)

Michael Rielly
Your grandfather must have been worn out. I did 75 home visits last year so 30-40 a day would make for a long season!

I don't know how he did it. But my Dad, his brothers and sisters or even sometimes Firemen, Police, or Military Police would drive him from place to place. There weren't that many Santas back then so he was like a celebrity or dignitary stopping in to say hi and take a few pictures. His drivers would have a list of addresses and a schedule they had to keep to so he never stayed too long at any one place.

I think that is why his Santa was very magical. Children were only able to get a quick glimpse of him when he visited. Even when he would stop by our house, he never stayed too long before someone was rushing him out the door.

I never sat on Santa's knee at a mall, so Papa was the only image of Santa Claus I knew growing up.

Santa TJS

I will have one ride for sure at work when santa arrives in the HAZMAT truck. ( It is a very big SUV)

Santa TJS

No toxic waste just a big police vehicle with hazmat suits and scba equipment.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Donations

All donations go directly towards the cost of hosting and running ClausNet!

Your support, through donations or simply by clicking on sponsor links, is greatly appreciated!

Donate Sidebar by DevFuse
  • Our picks

• If You Have the Post Christmas Blues You’re Doing Christmas Wrong
      The post-Christmas blues are a very real thing. Once the date of December 25th has passed the specter of December 26th is an ominous marker to many. It sits there on the calendar like the Ghost of Christmas Yet-to-Come. Silent and foreboding, the very image of the hooded Angel of Death it seems to be. And why not?

Just about anywhere you look Americans are tossing trees to the curb, ripping down lights from rooftops and radio stations are flipping back to everyday music. What took months to build gets deconstructed in a matter of a couple of days.
      • 25 replies
    • Auld Lang Syne
      Every New Year’s Eve at the stroke of midnight, millions around the world traditionally gather together to sing the same song, “Auld Lang Syne”. As revilers mumble though the song’s versus, it often brings many of them to tears – regardless of the fact that most don’t know or even understand the lyrics. Confusion over the song’s lyrics is almost as much of a tradition as the song itself. Of course that rarely stops anyone from joining in.
        • Wow
      • 2 replies
    • Merry Christmas, My Friend
      Every year around this time, some variation of this poem is circulated online. The poem is generally credited to “a soldier stationed in Okinawa” or more recently since September 11, 2001, “a Marine stationed in Afghanistan”.

However, the poem’s true author is Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt.

Originally entitled, “Merry Christmas, My Friend”, Corporal Schmidt wrote the poem in 1986 while serving as Battalion Counter Sniper at the Marine Barracks 8th & I, in Washington, D.C.

That day the poem was placed in the Marine Corps Gazette and distributed worldwide. Schmidt’s poem was later published in Leatherneck (Magazine of the Marines) in December 1991.
        • Sad
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?
      Is it time to start calling out Bad Santas?

Do you think we should start calling out those in our community whose actions or behavior is unbecoming of Santa Claus or Mrs. Claus?
        • Wow
      • 94 replies
    • Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas
      Backlash Building Against The Man Who Invented Christmas

ChristmasWeekly.com
      September 7, 2017

EXCERPT:

There is a new Christmas movie headed to theaters this Christmas about Charles Dickens about his creation of A Christmas Carol and Christmas purists hate it. Already.

The film has a stellar cast that features the dreamy-eyed Dan Stevens as Dickens and the legendary Christopher Plummer as Scrooge. Here is the trailer:

“This is a very presumptuous film,” said Christmas fan and would-be film critic, Arnold Yates, via MSN. “Charles Dickens was great but he certainly didn’t invent Christmas. Bah Humbug!”

That sentiment is growing online as the preview makes the rounds.
        • Confused
      • 14 replies
    • Seeking recognition
      Seeking recognition is a downward path for a legend who performs his tasks in the veil of night.

Recently, a fellow portrayer of Santa posted an image on Facebook that they constructed to look like a magazine cover with him on it and several story snips like many publications have on their covers.  You may have seen it if they are your friend on Facebook.  It looks okay.  The composition is good, but the rendering when uploading it to Facebook became distorted it and it is quite pixelated when you look at it from a development standpoint.
        • Love
      • 13 replies
    • Not Everyone Can Be Santa!
      Yes, I said it and it is not meant to hurt anyone’s feelings. I do view many Facebook sites along with websites and posted photos. Frankly, many of these postings should have never been put on public display.
        • Thanks
        • Love
      • 1 reply
    • Are you the 'real' Santa?
      How do you answer this question?

"Are you the 'real' Santa?"

Read all the replies...
      • 91 replies
    • Infringement? Make up your own mind.
      In the last couple of days, on several different social media and bidding sites, an item has been offered for sale that in my opinion is cause for suspicion.  I would like to bring that product to your attention.

There is some disagreement over whether or not it is an infringement or not.  I believe it is close enough to be considered as an infringement, but that is not the only the reason behind my post.
      • 31 replies
    • Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas
      Why Bass Pro Shops’ longtime Santa won’t be back this Christmas

Christmas is going to be a little different this year for families whose traditions include visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shops. Paul Davis, who spent the last nine years as the Bass Pro Santa in Ashland, will not be there anymore.
        • Sad
      • 98 replies
About | Forums | Blogs | Newsletter | Contact

© 2019 MJR Group. LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Copyright IP Policy

Proud affiliate of My Merry Christmas!

Subscribe to the ClausNet Gazette

Enter your email address to subscribe to our monthly newsletter.

About ClausNet

The ClausNet community is the largest social network and online resource for Santa Claus, Mrs. Claus, Elves, Reindeer Handlers, and Santa helpers for the purposes of sharing stories, advice, news, and information.